JayeBird

K1 visa applicant getting a SSN before marriage

25 posts in this topic

Timeline

There seem to be a lot of confusion/misinformation/ noise surrounding whether or not a person with a K1 visa in the us can apply for a social security number BEFORE marriage.

Apparently, some SS offices are denying applicants because they are not married as yet. Can someone please clarify?

I got mine before we got married.

Had to bring my passport and i94 print. 
On the basis of the K1 visa they gave me one. After the wedding I went back with passport, i94 and marriage certificate to change the name.

Not sure where your confusion lies. 

You can. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

10 minutes ago, JayeBird said:

There seem to be a lot of confusion/misinformation/ noise surrounding whether or not a person with a K1 visa in the us can apply for a social security number BEFORE marriage.

Apparently, some SS offices are denying applicants because they are not married as yet. Can someone please clarify?

Same as above my wife got one before marriage with just her passport and the i94 form. Some people in a particular office don't know that so you have to be insistent with them in getting it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

As long as they have a valid i94 they should not have trouble. Some people were having issues because they were letting the i94 expire, and when that happens, they have to wait until they receive AOS in order to get a ssn. Best thing to do is just apply for everything right away before i94 expires. Don’t wait, just go.

Timeline
1 minute ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Same as above my wife got one before marriage with just her passport and the i94 form. Some people in a particular office don't know that so you have to be insistent with them in getting it.

Okay, Thanks.

They denied my fiancé. We gave they i94, passport, birth certificate and they said we need to get married first. Spent a good 10 minutes explaining to the lady but she said no.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

As long as they have a valid i94 they should not have trouble. Some people were having issues because they were letting the i94 expire, and when that happens, they have to wait until they receive AOS in order to get a ssn. Best thing to do is just apply for everything right away before i94 expires. Don’t wait, just go.

I 94 is only 2 weeks. Maybe they at that office just do not know the process.

Just now, JayeBird said:

Okay, Thanks.

They denied my fiancé. We gave they i94, passport, birth certificate and they said we need to get married first. Spent a good 10 minutes explaining to the lady but she said no.

Then go to a different office. This happens sometimes and people usually just go to a different office to get it done then. It's frustrating to say the least.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Then go to a different office. This happens sometimes and people usually just go to a different office to get it done then. It's frustrating to say the least.

yep - will try another office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Yeah, just go to a different office. Some government workers I tell you. It really makes me mad and makes me wait to get all official information saying how they are obligated to do it and how the documentation you have is all the right stuff and that you are right and they are wrong just to shove it in their faces. 

11 hours ago, JayeBird said:

11 hours ago, JayeBird said:

I 94 is only 2 weeks. Maybe they at that office just do not know the process.

smh...these SSA workers never know what to do with K-1 holders. Yes, you are fine to get one so long as you have at least 14 days of legal status (from your K-1) remaining. Print out their policy manual showing so and try again....preferably with a  new office.

The I-94 is valid for 90 days from POE for a K-1 entrant. That said, you must have at least 14 days of legal status remaining to qualify for an SSN (this part is not K-1 specific...it applies to any applicant).

9 hours ago, tanderson64 said:

Wait until after you are married.  Then you don't need to go back to the SS office to change name (if that is required).

People have had mixed results waiting until after marriage. Sometimes they will issue it in the new name fine, while other times they will ask for an EAD (or green card) first. It took my wife 3 visits get them to issue it in her married name. They should still let you get it in her maiden name (so long as you have at least 14 days of legal status remaining), but even then a small handful of people have been turned away saying they can't get it in an old name either...which is BS, but it's easier to avoid this potential argument by getting the SSN before marriage and trying for the name change later.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

People have had mixed results waiting until after marriage. Sometimes they will issue it in the new name fine, while other times they will ask for an EAD (or green card) first. It took my wife 3 visits get them to issue it in her married name. They should still let you get it in her maiden name (so long as you have at least 14 days of legal status remaining), but even then a small handful of people have been turned away saying they can't get it in an old name either...which is BS, but it's easier to avoid this potential argument by getting the SSN before marriage and trying for the name change later.

I guess we were lucky then.  The rules and requirements for K1 visa holders is very clear, and the SS office employee that helped us looked up what was required, which was her passport with K1 visa, he looked up her I-94 online, and then copy of marriage certificate, and filled out the form in her new name.  Done, got her card in 5 days.

*~*~*moved from "K-1 fiancé visa process and procedures" to "social security numbers"*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.