2,245 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

Your job offer is from a university and very likely has to do with research in some aspect I am guessing? You will jump to the front of the expedite line, you can call a CA senator or USCIS. Just get the university to write up a letter why they need you, they do it all the time. Basically your case is super easy.

Yes, it is a research position. Will a letter from the future boss in CA stating my importance to the projects do ? I don't know if I can get a university official to write one for me. 

Couple of other questions. What do you reckon I should approach this expedite request ? Call USCIS first and send letter from boss if asked for or gather the letter first ? Right now I am in MD. Should I approach a CA or MD senator ?  

Adjusting from F1 to GC as immediate relative of USC

Nov 15, 2017 Married to USC

July 1st, 2018 - AOS package sent  (I-485, I-130, I-130A, I-864, I-131, I-765 )

July 3rd, 2018 - AOS package delivered at Chicago Lockbox

July 10th, 2018 - Received NOAs via e-notification

July 15th, 2018 - USCIS cashed check

July 14th, 2018 - Received Biometrics appointment

July 25th: RFIE due to incorrect version of I-864

July 31st, 2018 - Biometrics done in Silver Spring, MD

Aud 7th: RFI due to incorrect form I-864

Aug 9th, 2018 - Updated I-864 with supporting documents received

Aug 20th, 2018 - Status Update Online: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview

Sep 4th, 2018 - Requested USCIS to expedite EAD under "severe financial loss" 

Sep 6th, 2018 - Received email from USCIS requesting  documents to  support expeditious handling of EAD 

Sep 7th, 2018 - Documents supporting EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

Sep 18th, 2018 - Told over phone by customer service rep that EAD expedite request was rejected

Sep 20th, 2018 - Received information that congressman's office filed for EAD expedite on Sep 17th

Sep 24th, 2018 - Received information that senator's office filed for EAD expedite (don't know exact date)

Sep 29th, 2018 - Received EAD in my mailbox. Yayyy!

Dec 15th, 2018 - Got a letter saying our interview is scheduled on Jan 14th!

Aug 1st, 2019 - EAD renewal package sent

Sep 20th 2019 - Renewed EAD delivered

Nov 30th 2020 - Green Card (10 year) delivered in mailbox!

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
35 minutes ago, strangefella said:

Yes, it is a research position. Will a letter from the future boss in CA stating my importance to the projects do ? I don't know if I can get a university official to write one for me. 

Couple of other questions. What do you reckon I should approach this expedite request ? Call USCIS first and send letter from boss if asked for or gather the letter first ? Right now I am in MD. Should I approach a CA or MD senator ?  

Since its research for a public instition. All three financial loss to yourself, the company (school in this case) and humanitarian reasons work. You need the job offer letter and then yes letter from future boss with their email signature at least. Financial loss does not mean near broke/homeless, its relative for everyone again university research positions do not come about everyday and typically if you dont get one in October you may not till following year as I am sure you know, need to express that to USCIS.

Again you can do both because no CA senator is going to turn down helping a public university in their state, I would get the letter from employer ready first. Then start by reaching out to your MD congressman/senator for help, if they seem not super helpful I would go to Senator Feinstein right away.

6 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

Since its research for a public instition. All three financial loss to yourself, the company (school in this case) and humanitarian reasons work. You need the job offer letter and then yes letter from future boss with their email signature at least. Financial loss does not mean near broke/homeless, its relative for everyone again university research positions do not come about everyday and typically if you dont get one in October you may not till following year as I am sure you know, need to express that to USCIS.

Again you can do both because no CA senator is going to turn down helping a public university in their state, I would get the letter from employer ready first. Then start by reaching out to your MD congressman/senator for help, if they seem not super helpful I would go to Senator Feinstein right away.

Thank you for your input! I will get started on it tomorrow. 

Aug 20th, 2018 - Status Update Online: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview

Sep 6th, 2018 - Received email from USCIS requesting  documents to  support expeditious handling of EAD 

Sep 18th, 2018 - Told over phone by customer service rep that EAD expedite request was rejected

Sep 20th, 2018 - Received information that congressman's office filed for EAD expedite on Sep 17th

Sep 24th, 2018 - Received information that senator's office filed for EAD expedite (don't know exact date)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
5 hours ago, castormarina said:

A couple of questions:

1- Is it worth reaching out to the state rep/congressman if you have NOT expedited your EAD with USCIS. If so what exactly do you say?
2- If the above is no, and you need to actually expedite with USCIS then what all qualifies as "financial hardship"? And what kind of evidence can submitted with for the first part of this question?

Basically, I want to contact my rep to help me move things through but don't really want to submit and expedite request through USCIS first. Also the case was received a month ago, so it's not like we've been waiting for a while either. SO I don't know if I will have a good case, but want to do anything that can potentially help speed things up.

Thanks for any answer.

Unless you have a valid reason to expedite, you’re not gonna get anywhere with either your congressman or USCIS. Financial hardship is the couple is struggling because the beneficiary hasn’t worked and has been offered a job. Basically if you don’t have a job offer don’t except an expedite. And BTW, a month is nothing. We have all been waiting a really long time. my thoughts to you is go on interviews and get someone to offer you a job. Then file for an expedite with USCIS with a job offer and then call your reps. Calling your reps without an expedite is not gonna do anything because the answer they’ll give your reps will be that you’re still in the standard processing times. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Lsthorpe1 said:

A question that has been asked a million times I’m sure -

Ive requested an expedite on my AP because of family death back home.

Once you have requested to expedite your case and the case history changes to “We have sent a response to your request” and then changes again to “request to have case expedited completed” 

What should I expect next??? Will they mail me something to send in evidence? Or what? How does this work?

Should I do anything else? I really need to get back home. 

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like they send you an RFE. Wait for it to come in the mail. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, asaeljethro said:

did you get a combo card with AP on your EAD expedite?

I’m curious about this too. My expedite was only for EAD and I only see an update on the EAD. AP status has remained unchanged. 

3 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

I’m curious about this too. My expedite was only for EAD and I only see an update on the EAD. AP status has remained unchanged. 

We received the EAD/AP combo card, even though we only expedited the EAD.. and the status from the AP still remains unchanged, even after having received the card and approval letter for both EAD and AP.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Alicia B said:

We received the EAD/AP combo card, even though we only expedited the EAD.. and the status from the AP still remains unchanged, even after having received the card and approval letter for both EAD and AP.

Awesome!!! 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Alicia B said:

Awesome!!! 

35 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

It sounds like they send you an RFE. Wait for it to come in the mail. 

Ok! Seems that way! Thank you so much! Fingers crossed it arrives soon!

I just submitted my expedite and the guy on the phone said I should receive a letter in 5 days from them on what to do next. Is that still accurate or has the wait time gone up recently?

K1 Filed – 05/07/17

K1 NOA1 – N0A2 – 02/06/2018 (211 days)

K1 Interview – 04/11/18 – Approved

Visa in Hand – 05/03/18

POE – LAX – 05/16/2018

Married – 06/11/2018

AOS Filed – 06/18/2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
Just now, DBR said:

I just submitted my expedite and the guy on the phone said I should receive a letter in 5 days from them on what to do next. Is that still accurate or has the wait time gone up recently?

I never got the letter. Just an email. Some get emails some letters. If u won't get any of it for 5 business days you can call them back and tell them to read it for you as u didn't get anything

33 minutes ago, gvantsa said:

I never got the letter. Just an email. Some get emails some letters. If u won't get any of it for 5 business days you can call them back and tell them to read it for you as u didn't get anything

Well i hope they got my email right as it took a while for them to understand it... how many days did you wait for the email?

K1 Filed – 05/07/17

K1 NOA1 – N0A2 – 02/06/2018 (211 days)

K1 Interview – 04/11/18 – Approved

Visa in Hand – 05/03/18

POE – LAX – 05/16/2018

Married – 06/11/2018

AOS Filed – 06/18/2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
Just now, DBR said:

Well i hope they got my email right as it took a while for them to understand it... how many days did you wait for the email?

The moment it was assigned to the officer I got email at 6am( I live in Denver CO ) so as I know they start working at 8am. Assigning to an officer took 2 days. 

On 8/23/2018 at 3:20 PM, A&H2018 said:

So I contacted the future boss in research organization (in the school) which is hiring me, and the forwarded me to the HR. Now HR told that they as an organization cannot offer a letter mentioning financial loss to them as they would not truthfully experience a financial loss with the delay of your hiring.  But the boss might be able to write up something separately. Does that make a difference ? I think the boss is a bit nervous about this. Darn, this has put me in a tricky situation. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.