inneedofhelp

Becoming a US Citizen Rather than renew Green Card

34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I got my NOA1 today!!! I am sooo relieved!

California Service Center 

January 31st (first try)

came back February 9th (the day my Green Card expired)

February 9th (mailed it a second time)

February 12th (received)

germangirlintheusa.blogspot.com

~~~ mrandmrsBRS Visa journey ~~~

Service Center: Vermont

Embassy: Frankfurt/Germany

Marriage: 2014-12-30

I-130 sent: 2015-1-5

I-130 Noa 1: 2015-1-12

I-130 approved: 2015-6-10

Your I-130 was approved in 149 days from your NOA 1 date.

NVC: 2015-7-8

AOS bill: 2015-8-4

AOS P.: 2015-9-22 (e-mail, PDF)

IV bill: 2015-9-15

IV P.: 2015-9-22 (e-mail, PDF)

Case Complete: 2015-10-12 (2015-12-07)

Supervisor Review 2015-11-02Called NVC 2015-12-07 (no longer under supervisor review, waiting for an Interview Date)

Medical: 2016-1-7

Interview Frankfurt: 2016-1-19 (called NVC 2015-12-14) APPROVED :dancing: :wub:

POE: 2016-2-9 ATL (Atlanta)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
20 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

That last comment was rather stupid (coming from another Kenyan). Trump is enforcing our Immigration laws which is high time someone did it.

When you see someone starting to throw mud, you know they are losing ground. Best to you and your favorite enforcer of immigration laws -- especially when history is written. And I tell you, history pulls no punches.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 minutes ago, BlessedAssurance said:

When you see someone starting to throw mud, you know they are losing ground. Best to you and your favorite enforcer of immigration laws -- especially when history is written. And I tell you, history pulls no punches.

Just saying it as it is. There is no mud from MY end.

You should know the issues, even as a Kenyan. 

21 hours ago, inneedofhelp said:

Hello all,

Long story short,

I entered the US on a K1 Visa from England back in 2009. The relationship didn't go so well but I did end up staying in the States and received my Green Card. I am now happily remarried and I was hoping to receive some useful information from all you wonderful members on this site who have gone through the process of becoming a US Citizen over renewing your Green Card every 10 years.

I would really like to understand the pros and cons on becoming a US Citizen from peoples experiences who have gone through the same process. My biggest concerns/questions would be about - 

Social Security - If I were not to become a US Citizen, would there be an issue later in life to claim the SS that I would have been paying for decades? I've heard different answers/opinions on this subject.

Passports - If I were to become a US Citizen, would I be able to have dual Citizen? Meaning would I have a UK passport as well as a US passport?

Thank You all in advance for your input/answers, it is greatly appreciated.

Aside from the other information provided below, you don't have to carry your gc all the time and don't need to renew it every 10 years or pay for losing your gc. I personally opted to become USC for a few reasons including the convenience of renewing my passport without having to go to a different state and does not have to carry a gc or pay for fee every 10 years or if I lose it.

2 hours ago, POA said:

Aside from the other information provided below, you don't have to carry your gc all the time and don't need to renew it every 10 years or pay for losing your gc. I personally opted to become USC for a few reasons including the convenience of renewing my passport without having to go to a different state and does not have to carry a gc or pay for fee every 10 years or if I lose it.

Why did you have to go to a different state to renew your GC? 

Filed: Other Timeline
9 hours ago, NikLR said:

1) I dont want to be called a US citizen?

2) I may retire in Canada and I dont want to file a  US tax return for the rest of my life?

You may find those things meaningless but I do not. 

But for the OP those things do not seem concerning so by all means, file away!

1) Nobody has called me a US citizen, ever. Most people call me by my name, but others have called me . . . um not so nice names. But you "US citizen" you was never among them. And the first thing I did after they tattooed by forehead with US CITIZEN is have it removed so that I can't be identified as one.

2) I doubt that as a retiree you'll be making enough money to have to file as much as an EZ1040.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Timeline
6 hours ago, ShanghaiSurfer said:

Double taxation is the biggest issue. I believe US is one of only 3 countries that taxes worldwide income (I believe Philippines & Etrea being the other two).  

Green Card holders are taxed the same way as US citizen. NO difference at all.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

40 minutes ago, Brother Hesekiel said:

Green Card holders are taxed the same way as US citizen. NO difference at all.

Easier to give up a green card than a citizenship though, when long term plans are to leave the US.

Edited by Lemonslice

Its okay if some people do not want to become US citizens ya know. Lol

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

6 hours ago, little immigrant said:

Why did you have to go to a different state to renew your GC? 

I didn't have to. I had to go to another state to renew my passport.

11 hours ago, ShanghaiSurfer said:

Double taxation is the biggest issue. I believe US is one of only 3 countries that taxes worldwide income (I believe Philippines & Etrea being the other two).  

I am originally from the Philippines and have not been double taxed. All income earned abroad are not taxed in the Philippines. Luckily. :)

17 hours ago, little immigrant said:

Ah that's what I meant. Does your state not have post offices where they can renew it? 

Oh I am referring to my Philippine passport. We have to go to the Philippine embassy in person to renew my passport. I can renew my US passport by mail.

If I didn't become a US citizen, I will have to go to the PH embassy every time I need to renew my passport which is in IL. 

Edited by POA

36 minutes ago, POA said:

Oh I am referring to my Philippine passport. We have to go to the Philippine embassy in person to renew my passport. I can renew my US passport by mail.

If I didn't become a US citizen, I will have to go to the PH embassy every time I need to renew my passport which is in IL. 

That makes sense. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.