Jack88

I-751 RFE/INTERVIEW during bootcamp

10 posts in this topic

Dear Visa Journey MIlitary/Veteran/military families community first of all thank you to those who served/are serving. 

So I am currently waiting on my Removal of conditions I am a June 2017 filer on the California Service Center so unfortunately judging by other folk's experiences I am looking at a looooong wait 14-18 Months :unsure:

The issue is that I am scheduled to ship to Marines Bootcamp this coming early August and if current trends continue I fully expect for my ROC application to still be pending by then. In light of that I am a little concerned about possible Requests for evidence sent in my absence and God forbid even an interview. I know it sounds ridiculous but they (I have seen it with many people) wait literally over a year to start reviewing your application and oftentimes they send you a RFE after over a year of backlog. Also, I know I-751 interviews are rare, but what would happen if they call me and my wife for an interview while I am in bootcamp, what can I do? Is not possible for me to request a leave of absence from training. Also with regard to RFE's I am the one who has always taken care of all the immigration paperwork. Any advice as to how to prepare everything for my spouse who is inexperienced on this processes, so she can successfully respond to an hypothetical RFE?  

By the way for those curious about it the Marines does take in recruits for enlistment with conditional I-55's 1 the only difference is that due to newly passed regulations their waiting period is way more extensive than regular (citizens) applicants. 

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Londonergirl said:

Could you not apply for citizenship straight away if you are military?

Thanks for you reply! 

To answer you question, not anymore. Before october 2017 you could apply for citizenship based on military service after only ONE day of active duty service, because we are in "Period of hostilities" as decreed by the president since 2001. However, this is not longer true. The Department of Defense modified the eligibility requirements for citizenship based on military service, and now the applicant must have at least 180 days (Six months) of active duty service to be eligible to apply (Regardless of whether he/she served during hostilities or not) 

Given the above, time-wise as crazy as it sounds, it would more efficient for me to apply for citizenship through marriage to a US citizen than waiting to have 6 months in active duty to be able to do it based on military service. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hey Jack88, can you go to bootcamp with your extension letter?

my wife enlisted in the Navy in August 2017 and so far It's been a nightmare with the new DoD regulation. She was given 4 different ship dates that were all pushed back because her background check wasn't completed. Now that her background investigation was finally cleared, her green card is expiring in a week. Communication has been terrible with MEPS, so we don't know what's going on.

Thank you for joining our military.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hi SemperFi0311, Could you tell me how do you know your wife's  Military Service Suitability Determination (MSSD) was completed ? if she was affected by Oct 2017 DoD Policy, she had to complete her  MSSD and NSD checks done before they allow her to ship to basic. Did you receive a letter saying her checks were done or her recruiter said ? I am in same boat waiting for these checks although i have completed my basic and AIT training. 

Thank you for answering.

17 hours ago, SemperFi0311 said:

Hey Jack88, can you go to bootcamp with your extension letter?

my wife enlisted in the Navy in August 2017 and so far It's been a nightmare with the new DoD regulation. She was given 4 different ship dates that were all pushed back because her background check wasn't completed. Now that her background investigation was finally cleared, her green card is expiring in a week. Communication has been terrible with MEPS, so we don't know what's going on.

Thank you for joining our military.

I don't think the Navy would allow you to ship with the extension letter which is absurd given the fact is for all intents and purposes it bestows the same immigration status of an I-551 card. So beats me why they have this policy. Army and Marines will let you ship with an extension letter as far as I know. 

Filed: Timeline
20 hours ago, Airman said:

Hi SemperFi0311, Could you tell me how do you know your wife's  Military Service Suitability Determination (MSSD) was completed ? if she was affected by Oct 2017 DoD Policy, she had to complete her  MSSD and NSD checks done before they allow her to ship to basic. Did you receive a letter saying her checks were done or her recruiter said ? I am in same boat waiting for these checks although i have completed my basic and AIT training. 

Thank you for answering.

That makes three of us, and the starter of this topic as well. I would like to discuss that issue with all of you in a separate topic, but I think we should not take advantage of this one here, as it is dealing with another question. :-)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Can we join with an extension letter?

I am interesting in joining the National Guard in CA.

Thank you

Spoiler

ROC Journey:

02/17/2019 90 days window open

02/28/2019 ROC Package mailed to Phoenix Lockbox DAY 1

03/02/2019...Received at Phoenix Lockbox DAY 2

03/05/2019...Credit Card Charged DAY 5

03/07/2019...Text message with Receipt # DAY 7 

XX/XX/XX...NOA1 Text & E-mail. (18-months extension)

XX/XX/XX ....(Possible/Optional) I-551 stamp on passport for a 1-year extension

XX/XX/XX...Biometrics notice received - appointment date for (XX/XX/XX) - (Possible/Optional) Early Walk-in date XX/XX/XX

XX/XX/XX ....(Possible/Optional) Interview

XX/XX/XX....I-751 (XX days from NOA1) APPROVED

XX/XX/XX…Card ordered - Card mailed date XX/XX/XX

XX/XX/XX...Approve notice received

Spoiler
Spoiler

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/2/2020 at 8:23 PM, Cocobongo said:

Can we join with an extension letter?

I am interesting in joining the National Guard in CA.

Thank you

Hi cocobongo. 
sorry for the delay in my response. I believe you need to at least have the 2 year conditional green card. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.