Janeg120

N-400 Application/Expiring Green card question

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

HI VJ people, my card expires in October 2018, just submitted my N-400 on-line (easy to do btw) - filed yesterday, status today says expected completion March 2019. I know,  I should have done it sooner, I had it in my mind my card was good until October 2019 - how time flies! Anyhow, does anyone know if the expired card will alter my eligibility for employment until my naturalization is completed? Trying not to freak out, I'm OK not leaving the country until it's done, but we rely on my income so it would be a huge deal if my employer of the last 8 years suddenly couldn't pay me! I did send a question through the USCIS site but figured someone on this forum may have run into the same thing. Gosh, VJ brings back memories, we used this site for so much help when we were applying for my fiance visa, that was 13 years ago! Thanks in advance and if anyone has questions about the fiance visa/moving here from the UK etc. I'm happy to help.

The estimated timeline shown online isn't that accurate, it's usually faster than that.  (Try searching at your field office timeline on VJ)

But your permanent residency doesn't expire with the 10-year green card, so you're of course still legally allowed to work even after it expires. You should, however, go get your passport stamped before it expires, it can serve as proof of your legal permanent residency, and I think it's good for a year.

Timeline

Thanks Mira. Planning a trip to NYC in July, will ask them to stamp my passport then just to be safe. I did think this was the case, just freaking out and p'd at myself for letting the time go by!!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Keep in mind that you will have to surrender that GC at the oath ceremony as you will no longer be a PR.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline
38 minutes ago, austex said:

You are so lucky you have March 2019, what is So annoying Dallas has September 2019 for a December 2017 filing ☹️ 

M.

Keep positive. The replies I've had say the est. date is always longer than it takes. Good luck to us all 🤓🤗

Timeline
19 hours ago, Janeg120 said:

Thanks Mira. Planning a trip to NYC in July, will ask them to stamp my passport then just to be safe. I did think this was the case, just freaking out and p'd at myself for letting the time go by!!! 

To get the extension stamped in your passport you make an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office in San Antonio. It's not something you do at a NYC airport. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

To get the extension stamped in your passport you make an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office in San Antonio. It's not something you do at a NYC airport. 

Ahh thank you! It's been so long since we've had to deal with any of this!!!

19 hours ago, MiraW said:

The estimated timeline shown online isn't that accurate, it's usually faster than that.  (Try searching at your field office timeline on VJ)

But your permanent residency doesn't expire with the 10-year green card, so you're of course still legally allowed to work even after it expires. You should, however, go get your passport stamped before it expires, it can serve as proof of your legal permanent residency, and I think it's good for a year.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

the officer at my husbands fingerprinting appointment for his N400 saw that his GC was expired and stamped it for him right there!

Joyce

2/10/04 - interview date!!!!!!!Got Visa!!!!

3/11/04 - Massimo arrived in USA...Hurray!!!

4/25/04 - Happily Married in New Jersey

5/12/04 - starting AOS papers

5/17/04 - Mailed I-485, 131, (certified mail) to Newark

7/12/04 - Biometrics for AOS done in NYC

2/1/05 - received interview letter for May 16, 2005

5/16/05 - Successful (and fast) AOS interview in Cherry Hill!!!

I751

3/1/07 - mailed I751 package to VSC - regular mail

3/7/07 - cashed 205.00 check

3/9/07 - cashed 70.00 biometrics check

3/16/07 - received blue receipt notice for biometrics fee

3/24/07 - received NOA extending GC for another year

3/24/07 - received Biometrics appointment letter

4/6/07 - Biometrics appointment in Newark at 9am

4/7/07 - touched

4/11/07 - touched

9/28/07 - email received...Card production ordered!

10/4/07 - received congratulations letter in the mail

10/09/07 - 10 year green card received

A reminder that the "Estimated case completion time" for your N-400 (as seen in your online account) is often wildly inaccurate, and bears very little relation to reality at all.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline
On 1/26/2018 at 10:48 PM, Hypnos said:

A reminder that the "Estimated case completion time" for your N-400 (as seen in your online account) is often wildly inaccurate, and bears very little relation to reality at all.

Thank you, seems this is a common thought, so I hope so! Just had my notice they've scheduled my biometrics appointment, waiting on letter to appear to give me the date and time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.