MrsKhan

What does this mean? Worried!!! [merged threads]

586 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Italian_in_NYC said:

I studied Latin in high school in Italy (it was and still is mandatory for technical HS) and it has dramatically helped me with languages, even non-latin languages. It was so easy to learn Russian for me because I studied Latin.

So some subjects are annoying during schools but they help afterwards in real life.

Languages I can understand, but some classes are just vague.

When I was f-1 I needed one unit to meet the 12 unit requirements. My advisor told me take yoga class, that counts towards your requirements.

I enjoyed the yoga class, don't get me wrong. But I still don't understand how that counts towards a business degree.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, -Trinity- said:

Languages I can understand, but some classes are just vague.

When I was f-1 I needed one unit to meet the 12 unit requirements. My advisor told me take yoga class, that counts towards your requirements.

I enjoyed the yoga class, don't get me wrong. But I still don't understand how that counts towards a business degree.

Showed your flexibility, not tied down by dogma

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

When I was told you had to be licensed to be a Hair Dresser I thought somebody was pulling my leg.

They live to nickle and dime you.

1 hour ago, AshMarty said:

I know when I was told that she can't do people's hair in Maryland for this reason my mouth dropped! 

This was my wife's reaction also. In her country if you wanted to do people's hair you just put a comfortable chair in front of your kitchen sink and waited until someone knocks on your door. License??? Pshhhhh!

My wife is bothered on how everything here has to be approved, authorized, licensed, etc. But she also respects how well established things are.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
2 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

I am not sure if taking a Latin class can be compared to a Physical Therapy having to take a figure drawing class. Haha. 

I actually regret not taking more languages.... which actually was NOT required for my undergrad degree (but yes drawing was). Now how I wish it was required so I could talk to my Spanish speaking patients without an interpreter being required!

Latin is a dead language, that was the complain back then in HS. Why are we studying a language nobody speaks anymore?

Well, for Italians it has obvious historical background, but besides that, it really puts your mind into a language-absorbing mode. And not just for latin languages.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Italian_in_NYC said:

Latin is a dead language, that was the complain back then in HS. Why are we studying a language nobody speaks anymore?

Well, for Italians it has obvious historical background, but besides that, it really puts your mind into a language-absorbing mode. And not just for latin languages.

Haha.. Latin was one of the most popular classes in my high school growing up because it applied to so many common languages today. Hahaha... all the smart, accelerated kids would take it. 

But yes now I see your point :)

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
1 minute ago, AshMarty said:

Haha.. Latin was one of the most popular classes in my high school growing up because it applied to so many common languages today. Hahaha... all the smart, accelerated kids would take it. 

But yes now I see your point :)

In Italy it is mandatory for some high schools (classical high school also has mandatory ancient Greek).

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Timeline
9 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

This was my wife's reaction also. In her country if you wanted to do people's hair you just put a comfortable chair in front of your kitchen sink and waited until someone knocks on your door. License??? Pshhhhh!

My wife is bothered on how everything here has to be approved, authorized, licensed, etc. But she also respects how well established things are.

I'm starting my own small business and didn't knew whether to cry or to laugh when doing the paperwork:

To get a business tax receipt Im not only have to register my business name, but also find out if I'm in city limits ( what the heck does that mean?) If so, I have to apply for a business tax receipt from the city, then go back to the county to apply for their business tax receipt. Which I all did, just to find out that I have to apply for two different business tax receipts through the same county, because my business is multipurpose.

Then I had to make a phone call to a certain department, they told me to call a different department because they know the answer, which I did. And then that department told me to call the first department because they have more knowledge about my question.

End of the day my head was spinning.

Edited by -Trinity-

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Showed your flexibility, not tied down by dogma

Has never been my problem, lack of flexibility and being tied to dogma.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

43 minutes ago, Italian_in_NYC said:

Take away federally subsidized student loans (basically available to anyone) and you will see schools decreasing tuition fees and ridiculous academic programs disappear.

Right now the market is drugged because of the unlimited amounts of student loans available. and dumb kids (and parents) fall for it. And then they end up with a liberal art degree, $200k of student loan debt and no job. And they complain and ask for forgiveness.

Not to mention the fraud in the program I see credit pulls all the time, where people who have been a fry cook at Mikey ds for years have 40-60K in student loans. Not quite sure how people scam the system but I see it a good bit. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

The way student loans are set up and pushed is a monstrosity. It's another thing that kids coming out of high school don't have the means to evaluate. I hate a system that pushes debt on people that don't really even understand what it means to pay a bill or budget for themselves yet. 

And who is pushing them?  To me it appears to be the Universities.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
23 minutes ago, -Trinity- said:

Has never been my problem, lack of flexibility and being tied to dogma.

Have you seen a photo of ma dog

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
23 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

LOL, you’re s literal.  It’s cute!!

The worst thing I still don't know what it is.

But I found this: 

Madoc, also spelled Madog, ab Owain Gwynedd was, according to folklore, a Welsh prince who sailed to America in 1170, over three hundred years before Christopher Columbus's voyage in 1492.[1] 

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: Timeline
21 minutes ago, -Trinity- said:

The worst thing I still don't know what it is.

But I found this: 

Madoc, also spelled Madog, ab Owain Gwynedd was, according to folklore, a Welsh prince who sailed to America in 1170, over three hundred years before Christopher Columbus's voyage in 1492.[1] 

Dogma

MaDog

Ma Dog (mother dog) or...

Ma Dog (my dog)

Knowing Boiler, it was a pun.  If not, then knowing me, I saw it as a pun. :)

Edited by IDWAF