Filguy29

SAME SEX GETTING MARRIED IN CANADA

59 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Somewhat Islamophobic?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

If it were me, I would not mention anywhere on Saudi soil (including a US Embassy) that I'm engaged or married to a same-sex person.

That's just me, of course. I kind of wish dying at an old age, possibly in my sleep, not younger and stoned to death.

I'm sure it's technically possible to get a same-sex fiancé visa at the US Embassy in Saudi Arabia, but I totally see the OP's concerns.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to IR1/CR1 P&P, from Progress Reports - The OP has not started his journey yet but is gathering information on this process.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

OP - other posters are right, it does not technically matter that you will be getting a CR1 visa for a same sex marriage in saudi arabia. you will be interviewed inside the US embassy which is considered US soil which acknowledges same sex marriages. so you will be fine in that respect. but, and this is a big BUT, i totally understand your concerns about processing your visa there. i wouldn't recommend it. at the very least, you will be required to get a saudi police clearance when you interview for the CR1 visa and what if the police found out (not saying they will ask you but who knows) that you need the report for a spouse visa to a same sex partner? that would just be too risky.

i also agree with other posters, you seem to be rushing this too much. it will not look good if you marry on the first meeting. and you just started talking in may 2017, that is not that long enough to really get to know someone imho. i am not saying that the length of knowing someone determines the success of the marriage, but why not give yourself a better chance of success by slowing down and getting to know them really really well first? some people are way different in person compared to online. go to canada, spend time with each other without the added stress of planning a wedding, have a blast and enjoy your vacation and then decide after that if you really want to spend your whole life with this person.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
9 hours ago, Filguy29 said:

Hello Everyone!

I am thankful I found out this forum. Let me share to you about my situation. I am a filipino currently working here in Saudi Arabia. I have a bf who is an american citizen and residing in LODI California in which this state, also allows same sex marriage. I met him thru facebook and we haven't seen yet in person so he could not sponsor me for fiancee visa.

Since Ive got a tourist visa to Canada, we have decided to get married in Canada since they are allowing also same sex marriage. And after marriage, he will go back to california and I will go back here in Saudi since my work is here. From there, he can start to process to sponsor me for immigrant visa under spousal sponsorship.

My questions are:

-how many months maybe the result to know if his petition will be approved?

-given that i have scheduled interview in manila, how many days to get the passport with visa if approved? because I need to go back in saudi arabia until such time that visa processing is on going.

I hope someone out there can share your thoughts if you have the same situation as mine.

Thank you...

Get a lawyer... a situation odd and complicated as yours will not be resolved from a online free forum. good luck.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
7 hours ago, Filguy29 said:

I asked with a visa consultant here in Jeddah Saudi Arabia and the answer I get its like an insult. they told me that you are in an islamic country and how can you ask for fiance visa for same sex? I was thinking that since this country doesnt recognized same sex, then they are not issuing k1 VISA..

A local visa consultant?  Not smart dude.  You have to deal with the US embassy on this issue, not local businessmen.  I hope you didn't provide your name or any other information. 

The answer to your question is yes your plan will work.  Just follow the procedures that any other couple would follow.  You have to interview in Riyadh, no need to return to the Philippines.  The Riyadh embassy doesn't care if you are same sex couple or not.  They will process your visa the same way at the same speed as any other couples. 

It is untrue that meeting / marrying is scrutinized any worse than meeting / filing for fiancé visa.  The same rules that apply to other couples apply to you. 

The Saudi police don't care why you are asking for a certificate.  They take the attested letter from the embassy, generate the certificate, and give it back. 

I don't get this Canada/health thing.  Meet in Dubai.  Bahrain.  Dude's so sick he can't travel? 

27 minutes ago, LUAL said:

Get a lawyer... a situation odd and complicated as yours will not be resolved from a online free forum. good luck.

A lawyer?  For what?

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, LUAL said:

An immigration lawyer. I'd recommend to someone with a simple situation too. So even more to them.

Makes this site pretty redundant.

Most people here DIY

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

40 minutes ago, LUAL said:

An immigration lawyer. I'd recommend to someone with a simple situation too. So even more to them.

Sure glad we didn't waste $3000 on an immigration lawyer when one isn't needed.  

The only obstacle for the OP right now is that he hasn't met his fiance. 

He doesn't have to tell anyone other than the CO that the fiance is a man. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

OP - does your employer keep your passport? if so, if you interview in Saudi, what excuse are you going to give your employer on why you need to get your passport back?

i forgot to answer earlier...if you interview in manila, it can technically be done during your vacation. i assume your vacation is for a month? but this is contingent on your being able to book your interview early on (as in the next day you land there if possible), getting approved and then the visa being issued without going through a long AP. some AP can take just a few days, weeks, months or years - no way to predict. so this is the risk of just flying in to manila to interview there.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
11 hours ago, iamdegie said:

OP - does your employer keep your passport? if so, if you interview in Saudi, what excuse are you going to give your employer on why you need to get your passport back?

i forgot to answer earlier...if you interview in manila, it can technically be done during your vacation. i assume your vacation is for a month? but this is contingent on your being able to book your interview early on (as in the next day you land there if possible), getting approved and then the visa being issued without going through a long AP. some AP can take just a few days, weeks, months or years - no way to predict. so this is the risk of just flying in to manila to interview there.

They kept passports a few years ago, not anymore.

The Riyadh embassy won't bother him.  They don't care one way or the other, they just apply and follow the rules.  The same dude interviews everyone.  Interviewed my wife for her DCF and then interviewed her again for SB1.  He's a cool guy, good to work with.

13 hours ago, LUAL said:

Yes but why? 

1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

The Riyadh embassy won't bother him.  They don't care one way or the other, they just apply and follow the rules.  The same dude interviews everyone.  Interviewed my wife for her DCF and then interviewed her again for SB1.  He's a cool guy, good to work with.

Yes but why? 

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. We are decided to meet first in Canada and apply for Fiance after i will return here.

16 hours ago, iamdegie said:

OP - other posters are right, it does not technically matter that you will be getting a CR1 visa for a same sex marriage in saudi arabia. you will be interviewed inside the US embassy which is considered US soil which acknowledges same sex marriages. so you will be fine in that respect. but, and this is a big BUT, i totally understand your concerns about processing your visa there. i wouldn't recommend it. at the very least, you will be required to get a saudi police clearance when you interview for the CR1 visa and what if the police found out (not saying they will ask you but who knows) that you need the report for a spouse visa to a same sex partner? that would just be too risky.

i also agree with other posters, you seem to be rushing this too much. it will not look good if you marry on the first meeting. and you just started talking in may 2017, that is not that long enough to really get to know someone imho. i am not saying that the length of knowing someone determines the success of the marriage, but why not give yourself a better chance of success by slowing down and getting to know them really really well first? some people are way different in person compared to online. go to canada, spend time with each other without the added stress of planning a wedding, have a blast and enjoy your vacation and then decide after that if you really want to spend your whole life with this person.

Hi,

thank you for your thoughts. I am happy with this person so I am not worrying that i will not be happy with him.. and yes, we have decided to just meet in Canada and enjoy our moments.. then when i return here in Saudi he will start to process for fiance visa and that I don't know if we will process here in Riyadh or in Philippines..

or we have the options that I will apply again for tourist visa to Canada and have the marriage there..so I dont need to wait for the result of fiancee visa...

15 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

A local visa consultant?  Not smart dude.  You have to deal with the US embassy on this issue, not local businessmen.  I hope you didn't provide your name or any other information. 

The answer to your question is yes your plan will work.  Just follow the procedures that any other couple would follow.  You have to interview in Riyadh, no need to return to the Philippines.  The Riyadh embassy doesn't care if you are same sex couple or not.  They will process your visa the same way at the same speed as any other couples. 

It is untrue that meeting / marrying is scrutinized any worse than meeting / filing for fiancé visa.  The same rules that apply to other couples apply to you. 

The Saudi police don't care why you are asking for a certificate.  They take the attested letter from the embassy, generate the certificate, and give it back. 

I don't get this Canada/health thing.  Meet in Dubai.  Bahrain.  Dude's so sick he can't travel? 

A lawyer?  For what?

Hello,

thanks for your comment.. the reason why we meet in Canada its because its much closer to him from California rather than travelling to Middle east countries. And since ive got tourist visa to Canada, thats why we have the chances to met there.

hopefully after meeting, we can decide whats next.. I was just scared what a visa consultancy firm told me when I inquire. yes, no personal info was given to them. i think first also of my security.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

Yes but why? 

Because of how complex their situation looks like to me. I felt my situation was difficult and ALMOST got a lawyer and consider I married an US cit. who I have met and stayed with 3 years prior to the marriage. So we had all history, proofs, etc... to help our case. They have nothing, they live in different states, and for those reasons if I were them I would spend those $2000 for a lawyer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.