15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

My husband had his CR-1 immigrant visa interview last week.  They didn't doubt our relationship, but they requested more financial evidence.  My current salary is over $51,000, more than double the recommendation for a 2-person household.  I've been at my current job since October 2016 but before that I was a graduate student so my 2016 tax returns only show an income of $9,000.

In addition to my 2016 tax returns, I submitted proof of my current income with my AOS: a letter from my employer, bank statement showing over $6,000 in my checking account, pay stubs for the past six months, my house assessment, and mortgage statement.  I don't know what other proof of finances I can provide.  I don't have anyone who is in the position to co-sponsor.

Any advice or guidance would be very helpful.

Marriage: December 2014

USCIS Process:
Sent I-130 (via USPS): October 31, 2016

I-130 Packet delivered Chicago lockbox: Nov 2, 2016
Check cashed: Nov 8, 2016

Text/Email confirmation: Nov 8, 2016

-> Sent to Potomac Processing Center

NOA1 hard copy in mail: Nov 14, 2016

-> Marked received Nov 3

NOA 2:

Dept. of State Process:

Filed: Timeline

you should call a tier 2. the affidavit of support is a very binary thing. either u have the means or you don't. 6 months of paystubs with that income should be fine.

2006 - Entered US on F-1
2009 - COS to H-1
2011 - Married USC

Conditional GC Process:
04/2012 - Concurrent I-130 petition / I-485 AOS / I-765 EAD / I-131 AP sent
35 days to biometrics, 73 days to EAD/AP combo card, 85 days to interview, 96 days to Conditional Green Card

04/2014 - Eligible for ROC

06/2014 - I-751 package filing joint with spouse sent

5 days to extension,37 days to biometrics, 172 days to CSC transfer, 247 days to Green Card

04/2015 - Eligible for Citizenship

09/2015 - N-400 package filing on basis of USC spouse sent

29 days to biometrics, 105 days to interview, 147 days to oath and US citizenship

~ 9 years and 6 months from first entry to US citizenship

Timeline
17 minutes ago, aayitrun said:

you should call a tier 2. the affidavit of support is a very binary thing. either u have the means or you don't. 6 months of paystubs with that income should be fine.

What is a "tier 2"?

USCIS Process:

-> Marked received Nov 3

NOA 2:

Dept. of State Process:

27 minutes ago, aayitrun said:

The OP had the interview already, so they heard from the CO directly. A Tier 2 won't be able to tell them any more than the actual officer covering their case (not to mention that NVC can't do anything about a CO's decision).

The I-864 does have more defined minimum requirements, but the public charge concern is still at the discretion of the CO based on the totality of the circumstances.

@OP

Are there any unusual circumstances in your situation that may make them think you require additional income (i.e. health issues not covered by insurance)? Beyond that, it kinda sounds like you provided more info than necessary...assets aren't needed if income is sufficient. Since you listed them, I'm assuming the CO wants to see all the documentation regarding those assets.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

No, there aren't any unusual circumstances that would make them think we require additional income.  The CO asked for 2017 tax information (which isn't available until January/February 2018) or a joint sponsor.  Nothing about needing additional information about the assets I listed.

You're right about tier 2 not having authority: I just called NVC and they said that it was in the hands of the embassy now.  The embassy has complete jurisdiction over the case decision now.  I asked if there was a supervisor at the embassy I could contact, and the NVC representative said that was up to the embassy: he doesn't know the organization of each embassy.

I contacted my state senators and house representative.  Has anyone had any success appealing through them?

USCIS Process:

-> Marked received Nov 3

NOA 2:

Dept. of State Process:

6 minutes ago, senegalamour said:

No, there aren't any unusual circumstances that would make them think we require additional income.  The CO asked for 2017 tax information (which isn't available until January/February 2018) or a joint sponsor.  Nothing about needing additional information about the assets I listed.

That's so strange...and they obviously can't require 2017 tax info yet. Do you have a copy of the 221g that your husband received (masking personal info, obviously)?

I contacted my state senators and house representative.  Has anyone had any success appealing through them?

They can't force anything, but the inquiries can help get clarification.

Good luck! Please keep the thread updated as you hear more. Thanks.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline

Here is a copy of the 221g.221G.thumb.jpg.46a75af106f94fbbed04dea6e86be10c.jpg

USCIS Process:

-> Marked received Nov 3

NOA 2:

Dept. of State Process:

Filed: Timeline

Im sorry you are in this situation. As you know the Officer has discretion when approving the 864. Unfortunately they deemed you unstable. Probably because this is your first year at the job and the years before that you were not making significant money. 

You are going to need to find a co-sponsor (it doesnt have to be family) OR come up with more assets (how much equity is in the house?) OR wait until you have 2017 tax returns and try again (you can probably hold your case until then).

The senator or congressman cant help you.

Thanks. Well, I'm not too sure what to say here as clearly you cannot have a W-2 for 2017 yet. Either they made a mistake and meant to ask for your 2016 W-2s, or they want to wait to see your 2017 return. Or to get a joint sponsor. The CO can request that due to the public charge concern and having a relatively new job, but it's not the norm except for maybe for the India consulates, which I heard look at all 3 past years even if you currently have enough income.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, aayitrun said:

On the contrary.  Decisions on the public charge are ALWAYS a judgment call, unless it is abundantly clear the sponsor does NOT qualify.  Meeting or exceeding minimum guidelines guarantees nothing.  All that said, I would think the OP qualifies, and should make their argument in writing, appealing to the head of the Immigrant Visa Unit at the applicable Consulate.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 hours ago, geowrian said:

The OP had the interview already, so they heard from the CO directly. A Tier 2 won't be able to tell them any more than the actual officer covering their case (not to mention that NVC can't do anything about a CO's decision).

The I-864 does have more defined minimum requirements, but the public charge concern is still at the discretion of the CO based on the totality of the circumstances.

@OP

Are there any unusual circumstances in your situation that may make them think you require additional income (i.e. health issues not covered by insurance)? Beyond that, it kinda sounds like you provided more info than necessary...assets aren't needed if income is sufficient. Since you listed them, I'm assuming the CO wants to see all the documentation regarding those assets.

What would be helpful is the actual wording of the request, in context, not just the OP's interpretation of it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 hours ago, senegalamour said:

Here is a copy of the 221g.221G.thumb.jpg.46a75af106f94fbbed04dea6e86be10c.jpg

You can't possibly provide a W2 for tax year 2017.  Send the one for 2016 along with your appeal letter.  This Consular officer must be a newbie, and is likely to be overridden by a supervisor.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
18 hours ago, senegalamour said:

My husband had his CR-1 immigrant visa interview last week.  They didn't doubt our relationship, but they requested more financial evidence.  My current salary is over $51,000, more than double the recommendation for a 2-person household.  I've been at my current job since October 2016 but before that I was a graduate student so my 2016 tax returns only show an income of $9,000.

In addition to my 2016 tax returns, I submitted proof of my current income with my AOS: a letter from my employer, bank statement showing over $6,000 in my checking account, pay stubs for the past six months, my house assessment, and mortgage statement.  I don't know what other proof of finances I can provide.  I don't have anyone who is in the position to co-sponsor.

My husband was in a similar situation back in 2011 when he applied for my k1 visa (fiance visa)...he was making 60K but he was employed less than a year when I had my interview...his tax from the previous year (2010) was just like yours around 9k. What we did was file with a co-sponsor (his step dad) Although we knew he was way over the poverty line for a household of 2, we didn't want to risk it. 

We showed from both my husband and my father in law: employement vetification letter, mortgage payments, bank account statements, 401 k statment, taxes, paystubs. And we were approved on the spot

Maybe adding a co sponsor could help your case more likely

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

19 hours ago, senegalamour said:

One of my friend had similar issue early this year. Although his current income was enough to support his wife but some reason they looked into his previous two years income (2014 an2015) which were not enough to support his wife. Co requested to send them  more financial evidence or a Joint Sponsor. So, what he did is submit following documents( I-864, W2, Paystub for last 6 month and arrange some additional money to put into bank account and got an updated bank statement showing current balance). His wife got visa within a month after AP

Edited by mrahman14

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I think there's a lot of good advice in this thread. I think you have two options --

1. Find a co-sponsor. Yes, it sucks that you make enough by yourself, but as others have pointed out on this thread, the decision made on the I-864 is subjective. They see that you've only been at this job for <1 year and they want more. Finding a co-sponsor is the cleanest option in my opinion. You satisfy to the letter what the CO asked for.
  2. You can file an appeal to the Embassy Immigration Visa unit. Point out how unreasonable it is to provide a 2017 W2 form. You can also try to scrap together some additional financial information, e.g., show documents of any additional savings you may have, get letters from your employer pointing out how you're going to be employed for a longer period of time, etc.

In my opinion, 2 is a very messy option. The appeals process at an Embassy/Consulate is not as neatly defined as if you were at the NVC or USCIS. The CO holds ultimate sway and you have no definitive way to force the issue to a supervisor. Finding a co-sponsor who has had a stable job for multiple years satisfies the CO's request to the letter. It's the easy and straightforward way to proceed. Trying to appeal at the Embassy/Consulate stage is risky; you've already provided nearly everything that's possible in my opinion, so there's not much new documentation you could provide. If they reject your appeal, they may send your application back to USCIS or the NVC, in which case you're looking at a delay upwards of 1 year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.