Mrsamoah2019

Marry on first visit

71 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

So wanting to elope is out of the picture when it comes to these "high fraud countries? Since when is eloping consider fraud? Individuals should not be denied the right to elope! In fact, all human beings should be free to travel to and from the land, whenever... Yes the media and government has painted an awful picture of alleged terrorism but again this earth is free for all, us as human beings need to stand in our own individual authority.... Sigh 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Shawntina Sekyi A said:

So wanting to elope is out of the picture when it comes to these "high fraud countries? Since when is eloping consider fraud? Individuals should not be denied the right to elope! In fact, all human beings should be free to travel to and from the land, whenever... Yes the media and government has painted an awful picture of alleged terrorism but again this earth is free for all, us as human beings need to stand in our own individual authority.... Sigh 

We are discussing immigration to the United States of America.  This is not some Utopian world where everything and everyone fits a single mold.  Immigration to the United States is NOT a right!  It is a privilege!  Our laws are in place for a reason.  Accept it or move on...

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, missileman said:

We are discussing immigration to the United States of America.  This is not some Utopian world where everything and everyone fits a single mold.  Immigration to the United States is NOT a right!  It is a privilege!  Our laws are in place for a reason.  Accept it or move on...

Excuse me but you didn't have to respond at all and could have easily "move on " as you stated!! Frankly,  it does apply !! I'm speaking of common law.. Laws of this land which is a birth right,  not a " privilege !!! Furthermore I didn't come here to stir up drama,so please keep your opinion to yourself... Please and thank 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 9/4/2017 at 9:16 AM, NBA16 said:

We got married on first visit after 2 years of dating online, We didn't have any other red flag but i was questioned about this on my interview. I told the truth that we didn't want to be in relationship out of marriage for a long time (we are both Muslims) and how we were so sure even after we met in person. We met each other 2 more times after our marriage and we frontloaded our petition too, maybe that helped to overcome the red flag. 

I am under administrative processing now because of my nationality. 

Wish you all the best and luck

I agree...   I think it depends on what is customary and/or religious beliefs.  Although marrying on the first visit is often mentioned on here as a red flag.  Its not customary in Islam to date so meeting in person several times before marriage would have been frowned upon.  

If you do plan to marry on the first visit have a back up plan in case things don't work out.  Don't rush if you don't feel right (in my case, when I saw my husband in person all unsurerity went out the window:) .  Be safe make sure your family knows whats going on.  As other have mentioned document everything and lastly plan more visits.  

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Of course you can elope if you wish, Las Vegas baby.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, Shawntina Sekyi A said:

So wanting to elope is out of the picture when it comes to these "high fraud countries? Since when is eloping consider fraud? Individuals should not be denied the right to elope!

Eloping is fine. But that still needs enough evidence of a bona fide marriage just like any other couple. "Right to elope" :rofl:

3 hours ago, Shawntina Sekyi A said:

In fact, all human beings should be free to travel to and from the land, whenever... Yes the media and government has painted an awful picture of alleged terrorism but again this earth is free for all, us as human beings need to stand in our own individual authority.... Sigh 

What you believe should be the case is your opinion and fine, but people are still bound by the laws of their society.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That is one big advanatage of international relationships, gives you choices,.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Eloping is fine. But that still needs enough evidence of a bona fide marriage just like any other couple. "Right to elope" :rofl:

What you believe should be the case is your opinion and fine, but people are still bound by the laws of their society.

Indeed, my husband and I have  proven  our marriage is real. But, unfortunately,  the embassy was unable to issue the visa at the time, (no explanation as to why) has returned our petition for further review.. But now that is on hold due to security checks....  Appreciate the much smoother approach, laws of society is another topic for another day lol

6 hours ago, Shawntina Sekyi A said:

No one is saying a person can't elope.

"all human beings should be free to travel to and from the land, whenever." ... While this is an admirable statement, it simply is not logical in this day and age. The reason certain countries have a higher rate of refusal is because of past history of people from those countries abusing the visitor visa. This means that at one point in the past they were given a tourist visa but decided to break the law and remain in the US rather than go home. So the US government had to put measures into place to stop or at least reduce the abuse of the visas. This has nothing to do with the media. This is what happens when you have tons of people from certain countries in that past getting visitor visas and using it to work and live in the US.

Home security companies exist for a reason. There are some neighborhoods where you can go to sleep with the doors unlocked and the windows open. For all others, there are extra security measures that have to take place.

I am sorry if the phrase "high fraud countries" offend you but there is a valid reason for the extra cautiousness when dealing with certain countries.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread locked to further discussion as it has become heated. All the advice that can be given to prepare the OP has been given. The OP has adjusted her plans.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.