Ethel Joy

Traveling around USA while under AOS

19 posts in this topic

Hello everyone :)

I just wanted to ask if it's okay for me to travel around USA when my Visa is already expired and I just apply for AOS, which means I don't have a valid ID except for my Philippine passport which I am not sure will work out for me. My mother in-law would love to go with me at Las Vegas Nevada and Boise Idaho next week. I am currently living in New York. Thanks :)

PS: I had experience buying something from a mall and they ask for my ID and they declined it because my Visa is already expired they didn't accept my PH passport. Which I think is very retarded.

2 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

I would not do so without my NOA1 just to be sure.

and please don't use the R word as an offense, that's very unnecessary 

I'm sorry about my R word @Transborderwife I just really feel bad about it.  

21 minutes ago, Jessie K. said:

I just wanted to ask if it's okay for me to travel around USA when my Visa is already expired and I just apply for AOS, which means I don't have a valid ID except for my Philippine passport which I am not sure will work out for me. My mother in-law would love to go with me at Las Vegas Nevada and Boise Idaho next week. I am currently living in New York. Thanks :)

PS: I had experience buying something from a mall and they ask for my ID and they declined it because my Visa is already expired they didn't accept my PH passport. Which I think is very retarded.

As long as you have the NOA1 po then you will be fine. My asawa traveled with me from California to North Carolina during AOS with her NOA1 and there was no problem at all. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I went to Disneyworld Orlando with my hubby last week and i don't even have NOA1 yet. We flew via Delta. Used my passport as my ID and no question at all.  Which mall did you went to and what item are you trying to purchase? why do you need to show your passport or ID?

ROC JOURNEY

02/13/20  --- ROC packet sent  

02/18/20  --- ROC packet received Texas Day 0

02/21/20  --- SMS notice received EAC (Vermont)  Day 3

02/26/20  --- NOA 1 received - Extension Letter  Day 8

03/16/20  --- NOA 2 received dated 03/06/20- Biometrics schedule  Day 27

11/05/20  --- Notice of transfer of case to NBC  Day 261

02/26/21  --- Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview  Day 374

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jessie K. said:

Carry the NOA1 with you---but carry a photocopy of it (incase you end up losing it/gets crumpled or ripped beyond recognition, etc.).

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

55 minutes ago, malene1207 said:

I went to Disneyworld Orlando with my hubby last week and i don't even have NOA1 yet. We flew via Delta. Used my passport as my ID and no question at all.  Which mall did you went to and what item are you trying to purchase? why do you need to show your passport or ID?

as I remember my mother in-law took me to  The Shops at Columbus circle as I remember, I want to buy her a thank you stuff and I don't want to mention the name ( she loves those I even  make an alibi to go there without her for a minute without her knowing). The cashier ask for a ID and I handed her my passport she said my Visa is expired and she declined it. I don't have EAD and I'm very disappointed about it. I told my husband about what happened and he said it's very retarded for them to do that. That's the first time happened to me here.( I went back there with my husband to buy it diff. Cashier and she didn't decline it) But moving on I am thinking just to pass the travel stuff for good. Jeez I am really excited about it tho. 

Edited by Jessie K.
Short

Timeline
Just now, Jessie K. said:

as I remember my mother in-law took me to  The Shops at Columbus circle as I remember, I want to buy her a thank you stuff and I don't want to mention the name ( she loves those I even  make an alibi to go there without her for a minute without her knowing). The cashier ask for a ID and I handed her my passport she said my Visa is expired and she declined it. I don't have EAD and I'm very disappointed about it. I told my husband about what happened and he said it's very retarded for them to do that. That's the first time happened to me here.( We went back there with my husband to buy it diff. Cashier and she didn't decline it) But moving on I am thinking just to pass the travel stuff for good. Jeez I am really excited about it tho. 

Normally for ID all they care about is birthdate---seems silly they would refuse the passport for purchasing purposes because it was expired.  Sometimes it comes down to whomever you are dealing with cashier-wise, I suppose.  

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

2 minutes ago, Going through said:

Normally for ID all they care about is birthdate---seems silly they would refuse the passport for purchasing purposes because it was expired.  Sometimes it comes down to whomever you are dealing with cashier-wise, I suppose.  

So true. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Going through said:

I disagree.  If you're purchasing something that needs a birthdate it's important that it's valid.  Stolen id's are a big business 

Timeline

I travelled inside the US quite a bit while waiting for my AOS.  I made sure my flights were booked under my passport (maiden name).  No one mentioned anything. 

But I always travel prepared and brought my marriage certificate/NOA/anything from USCIS incase some questions came up.  No one has ever asked for any of these but I just like to be prepared.  

Edited by Michelle13
K1 Visa
08/15/14 - Filed
08/25/14 - Acceptance email sent
08/26/14 - Alien Registration Number changed.
10/17/14 RFE was received
10/23/14 RFE/I-195F mailed back to USCIS
11/05/14 I-129F Petition Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!
12/10/14 U.S. Consulate received case in the mail!!
12/19/14 Submitted DS-160 online form.
01/15/15 Submitted Package 3 Checklist for a request for interview!
01/16/15 Consulate sent me packet to prepare for my interview/medical!
02/20/15 Physical
02/24/15 Visa Interview/APPROVED!!!!!!! (6 months!!)

AOS

05/16/15 - Filed for Adjustment of Status and Work Permit

05/22/15 - Acceptance email sent along with NOA’s mailed.

06/16/15 Biometrics Appointment
1/22/2016: INTERVIEW!!/APPROVED!!!
2/2016: Received GREEN CARD!!! (8 months)

I-751 - ROC

11/1/2016: Filed

11/3/2016: NOA

11/19/2016: NOA 2

12/06/2016 Biometrics Appointment

1/17/2018: Info Pass - Passport Stamped

5/31/2018: Emailed received that GC is being mailed. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Transborderwife said:

I disagree.  If you're purchasing something that needs a birthdate it's important that it's valid.  Stolen id's are a big business 

I can see your point about stolen ID....but in this case the passport has the person's photo...and the person holding it is standing right infront of them.

I do agree that valid ID is better than non-valid ID.  My point is that it would be hard to say he stole the passport when his face matches the photo in it.

Edited by Going through

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, malene1207 said:

There is a small chance of running into ICE and CBP inspections at the airport. I have also personally witnessed TSA checking the entry stamps in foreign passports to ensure the person flying had status in the US.

The chance of this is small, but there's still a chance...

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Your valid unexpired passport is all you need to fly nationally. You can also use your EAD card if you have one. (we flew nationally within the last month and once we used only the passport and then only the EAD, both times were no problem at all)

K-1

Spoiler

4/20/16: Application Mailed

4/26/16: NOA1 (Hard Copy Received: 4/30/16)

7/11/16: NOA2 (Hard Copy Received: 7/14/16)

7/28/16: NVC Case# Received!

9/27/16: Interview (APPROVED)

10/28/16: POE

11/26/16: Wedding

AOS

Spoiler

12/9/16: Package Delivered to Chicago

12/14/16: Check Cashed

12/15/17: NOA1 (All cases)

1/13/17: Biometrics Appointment

1/20/17: Status Changed (I485): Ready to schedule Interview

3/10/17: Service Request (I765) by phone (91 days)

3/10/17: EAD Approved ("New Card is Being Produced")

3/16/17: Received EAD/AP Approval notices in mail

3/21/17: EAD Status Changed: "Card has been mailed to me"

3/21/17: EAD/AP Combo Card received in the mail (102 days) (YAYYYY)

9/13/17: Date of Interview (Approved!)

9/13/17: Status changed to Card in production

9/14/17: Status changed to Case Approved

9/19/17: Green Card in Hand :D

ROC
Spoiler
5/15/19: NOA: Received reminder letter to file from USCIS
6/20/19: Mailed Package to USCIS PO BOX AZ
6/22/19: Package Delivered (signed for by USCIS)
6/26/19: NOA1 (hard copy received 6/28/19)
6/27/19: Check Cashed, text/email received to expect receipt. 
6/28/19: Hard Copy NOA1 Received (California Svs Center)
1/15/20: Biometrics taken
4/16/20: Case Approved
4/22/20: green card in hand 😄

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.