IAMX

President Trump calls for barring immigrants from welfare for five years

67 posts in this topic

Timeline

I like this idea.. in fact it's already similarly implemented in Canada in the sense of punishing sponsors for new immigrants relying on welfare.

President Trump announced Wednesday night that he will soon ask Congress to pass legislation banning immigrants from accessing public assistance within five years of entering the U.S.

The time has come for new immigration rules that say ... those seeking immigration into our country must be able to support themselves financially and should not use welfare for a period of at least five years," Trump told a campaign-style rally in Grand Rapids, Iowa.

Trump's proposal would build on the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, which allows federal authorities to deport immigrants who become public dependents within five years of their arrival. Many of that law’s provisions were rolled back during the George W. Bush and Barack Obama administrations, but Trump's proposal would make more categories of federal benefits off-limits to immigrants.

Currently,states typically have the authority to determine eligibility for local public assistance programs.

Foreigners with non-immigrant visas and those who don't have legal status are generally prohibited from those benefits altogether.

Trump's proposal would also prevent the admission of people who are likely to become so-called "public charges" within five years of their arrival.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/22/trump-in-iowa-president-calls-for-barring-immigrants-from-welfare-for-five-years.html

A high profile case in Canada several years ago:

Sponsors must cover welfare costs: SCOC

Governments must not forgive debts in hardship cases, ruling confirms

The Supreme Court of Canada has upheld the right of federal and provincial governments to collect social-service payments from the sponsors of immigrants, even in cases involving abuse or abandonment.

The landmark ruling involves the cases of eight Ontario immigrant families that sponsored relatives from abroad who later went on social assistance.

Under federal immigration law, the sponsors agreed to repay any welfare payments that the new arrivals may have incurred after they got to Canada.

The high court, in a unanimous 9-0 ruling, overturned an earlier Ontario Court of Appeal ruling in favour of the sponsors, all of whom had claimed various hardships. The individual cases involved repayments of $10,000 to $94,000 in social assistance to the Ontario government.

"The risk of a rogue relative properly lies on the sponsor, not the taxpayer," Justice Ian Binnie wrote Friday on behalf of the court.

The court said governments have limited discretion to delay collection of defaulted payments, but not to totally forgive the debts.

"The discretion enables the governments to delay enforcement action having regard to the sponsor's circumstances and to enter into agreements respecting terms of payment, but not simply to forgive the statutory debt," wrote Binnie.

The government is obliged to notify a sponsor that they are in default, he wrote, and allow them an opportunity to explain their financial circumstances.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sponsors-must-cover-welfare-costs-scoc-1.1051502

Edited by IAMX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The idea has all the hallmarks of great Trump stump speech idea: Full of imagery to fire up populism in middle America about the threats external to them and their pocket books, but short on any meaningful consequence in improving folks lives.  What happened to the bridges, health care, tax cuts, all the winning?

This idea us just fodder for folks to rathole around and forgit that nothing is happening.

Talk is cheap, that is all the dude does.

Edited by ccneat

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
17 minutes ago, ccneat said:

The idea has all the hallmarks of great Trump stump speech idea: Full of imagery to fire up populism in middle America about the threats external to them and their pocket books, but short on any meaningful consequence in improving folks lives.  What happened to the bridges, health care, tax cuts, all the winning?

This idea us just fodder for folks to rathole around and forgit that nothing is happening.

Talk is cheap, that is all the dude does.

Looks like I only reeled in one before the jig was up..

President Trump in a rally on Wednesday evening said immigrants who enter the United States should not be eligible for welfare benefits for five years, though such a law has already existed for 20 years.

“The time has come for new immigration rules which say that those seeking admission into our country must be able to support themselves financially and should not use welfare for a period of at least five years,” Trump told a crowd in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at the U.S. Cellular Center. 

The president said his administration would be “putting in legislation to that effect very shortly.” 

But such a law is already in effect and has been in place since 1996. 

Known as the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (PRWORA), the legislation was passed during the administration of former President Bill Clinton and said that an immigrant is “not eligible for any Federal means-tested public benefit” for 5 years, which starts on the date the immigrant enters the country.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/338901-trumps-suggests-creating-law-that-has-been-enacted-since-1996

As with a lot of things, I like to watch how lefties react when Trump says or does something that coincides with Democrat Presidents and see how the left suddenly get outraged about it, as with other matters related to immigration.

M9iXuuY.jpg

cs2IRV8.jpg

B-)

Edited by IAMX

10 minutes ago, IAMX said:

Looks like I only reeled in one before the jig was up..

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/338901-trumps-suggests-creating-law-that-has-been-enacted-since-1996

As with a lot of things, I like to watch how lefties react when Trump says or does something that coincides with Democrat Presidents and see how the left suddenly get outraged about it, as with other matters related to immigration.

I'm not sure how the left reacts, but I break out in laughter when peeps with tunnel vision trip and fall.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
23 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

Immigrant welfare[edit]

A lesser known provision of PRWORA made immigrants entering the United States ineligible for federal welfare funds for five years after arriving in the United States. In light of the restrictions to federal funding under the law, states were allowed to grant aid out of their own funds to address the welfare needs of immigrants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Responsibility_and_Work_Opportunity_Act#Immigrant_welfare

thought we weren't big on adding laws when they're already on the books. enforce the laws we already have, right?

I was kinda wondering about that when I first heard about it - like, doesn't this already exist? I swear I remember when we did my paperwork it said that. And I know the ones that have sponsors - they are responsible for them either till they become a citizen or I can't remember the other thing if they stay residents(some kind of credit thing, or maybe 10 years). During that time they can't get assistance and if somehow they do, the sponsor is responsible to pay the government back or something like that. Maybe the difference is Trump wants to make it 5 years even if after 3 years you become a citizen whereas today once you are one you are eligible? That's honestly the only difference I can think of.

Edited by OriZ
09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Just now, smilesammich said:

i can't say i'm surprised that trump is not only proposing legislation clinton already passed but also plagiarizing his speeches word for word. 

It runs in the family.

Timeline
1 minute ago, OriZ said:

I was kinda wondering about that when I first heard about it - like, doesn't this already exist? I swear I remember when we did my paperwork it said that. And I know the ones that have sponsors - they are responsible for them either till they become a citizen or I can't remember the other thing if they stay residents(some kind of credit thing, or maybe 10 years). During that time they can't get assistance and if somehow they do, the sponsor is responsible to pay the government back or something like that. Maybe the difference is Trump wants to make it 5 years even if after 3 years you become a citizen whereas today once you are one you are eligible? That's honestly the only difference I can think of.

Likely that and minor changes. Hopefully Congress moves forward with it, adding a Trumpian effect to trigger lefties.

2 minutes ago, OriZ said:

I don't really see how that change could even be made. It just wouldn't be legal, and he'd find himself once again before SCOTUS. And for one, I'd rather take his words at face value, rather than twisting ourselves into a pretzel thinking of other things he might have meant to say. He says what he means, even if it's utter nonsense or not factual. It got him cheers because not a single person in the room has any idea the truth of the matter. Whatever floats the sinking boat I guess..

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

6 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

i can't really invest too much time in overthinking trump's motivations in proposing a law that is already law, but me personally - i believe trump is a con and this is what cons do. they push off other people's ideas and achievements as their own so people like them. i'm sure trump will clarify exactly what he meant at his next pep rally.

It appears to be working bigly!

Timeline
32 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

Immigrant welfare[edit]

A lesser known provision of PRWORA made immigrants entering the United States ineligible for federal welfare funds for five years after arriving in the United States. In light of the restrictions to federal funding under the law, states were allowed to grant aid out of their own funds to address the welfare needs of immigrants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Responsibility_and_Work_Opportunity_Act#Immigrant_welfare

thought we weren't big on adding laws when they're already on the books. enforce the laws we already have, right?

LOL.

So, the so-called president is proposing a law that already exists. He married two foreign citizens, so we'd expect he should know one thing or two about the I-864.

His next huuuuge piece of legislation will be to make it official that Americans should drive on the right side of the road! LOL.