2,532 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Hasi&Muzzy said:

Check just cashed today!

Good for you...and all others who recently sent their packages in.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I just noticed that our first joint tax return has my married name on it, but all the other papers have my maiden name on them. I use them interchangeably, but I never changed my name on my papers (green card, passport have my maiden name). However, on the marriage license, it does say that I would use my married name. Should I add my married name in section 2a of Part 1 of the i-751? and should I explain this in the cover letter? 

Thank you. :) 

On 6/7/2017 at 11:37 AM, Ksenia_O said:

If you apply under  "3 years rule", you will need the same things you have submitted for ROC .. So, basically - your ROC package with a period AFTER submission added... That's why I'm making copy of my ROC - at least 2-3 years have been already well organized.. Well, I hope it's well organized : ) 

Do you know how many years you have to live in the USA before you can file for citizenship without sending a massive pack of evidence of your marriage? I'm so over this, I don't know if I can go through this again next year for the N400. Thanks :) 

1 minute ago, Dee elle said:

When you have had the GC for 5 years... application window is 90 days before the 5 years

Thanks. I might have to do it all again next year then don't want to wait 5 years :). Appreciate for your help

I always have a lot of questions sorry guys.... heres another one :D.

I am wondering whether to include our 2014 tax transcript. It was 'married filed separately' because I wasn't living in the US during that tax period. I was waiting for my green card. Is it still worth including because it states 'married'?

Thanks all. Visa journey is amazing couldn't do it without all you guys :D 

4 hours ago, andruida said:

I just noticed that our first joint tax return has my married name on it, but all the other papers have my maiden name on them. I use them interchangeably, but I never changed my name on my papers (green card, passport have my maiden name). However, on the marriage license, it does say that I would use my married name. Should I add my married name in section 2a of Part 1 of the i-751? and should I explain this in the cover letter? 

Thank you. :) 

This is a difficult one. Can you state your married name in part 1a because it matches your wedding certificate and then state your maiden name in Part 2a. Either way I would make sure both names are in 1a and 2a whichever way round you decide.

I would explain this in your cover letter and the reasons why you don't go by your married name. My husband has mentioned in our cover letter he goes by his middle name in some of our evidence and the reason why.

I hope this helps. Ultimately needs to be your decision but this is what I would do. :) Hope you get some advice from others in the same situation

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
12 minutes ago, amanda_whitehead said:

I always have a lot of questions sorry guys.... heres another one :D.

I am wondering whether to include our 2014 tax transcript. It was 'married filed separately' because I wasn't living in the US during that tax period. I was waiting for my green card. Is it still worth including because it states 'married'?

Thanks all. Visa journey is amazing couldn't do it without all you guys :D 

i would include this. The main thing it says "Married", but Joint or Separate - doesn't really matter..

On 6/7/2017 at 11:28 AM, Ksenia_O said:

trying to make the next step (N400) easier - just one more year will be needed to add.. I hope :)

While I love VJ for the help it provides everyone, it is making me stress out more due to the things I am reading... what is this N400 about?  This is for US citizenship? 

K1 visa holders get a conditional Green Card (2 yrs valid) , then next  step is ROC which as far as I understand  will give you a 10yr GC (regular one with no restrictions/ conditions /what have you) . Isn't this is the end??  Yes that 10yr GC will need to be renewed every 10 yrs unless one wants to become a US citizen ( my French born mother in law has been renewing hers for the last 50 plus yrs!) .

PauPau, that is one nice cover letter. 

I-129F Sent : 2014-09-15
I-129F NOA1 : 2014-09-24
I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-20
NVC Left : 2014-11-05
Packet 3 Received : 2014-11-13
Packet 4 Received : 2014-12-05
Medical : 2014-12-19
Interview Date : 2015-01-23 Montreal
Interview Result : Approved 2015-01-23
Loomis picked up passport from Montreal: 2015-01-27
Passport/visa in hand:2015-01-30

POE'd at Toronto Pearson Airport: 2015-04-01

SSN received: 2015-04-08 or so

Married : 2015-04-23

AOS/EAD/AP submitted as one : 2015-05-19

Biometrics AOS: 2015-06-15

EAD approved : 2015 July but did not receive until 2015-09-30

AOS interview: 2015-09-25

AOS approved: 2015-09-25

GC received: 2015-10-02

ROC I751 package mailed 7/19
uscis received package 7/21 as per USPS
check cashed 7/25/2017
noa i797 dated 7/21/2107/ WAC17293xxx
noa i797 received 7/27/2017

Biometrics not needed; used what was on file

Infopass i551 stamp ( 12months) done 8/17/2018

No RFE.

No Interview.

ROC approved Oct 25,2018.  i797 notice received Oct 29,2018 

PR card received Oct 30 2018 

44 minutes ago, tdotca said:

While I love VJ for the help it provides everyone, it is making me stress out more due to the things I am reading... what is this N400 about?  This is for US citizenship? 

K1 visa holders get a conditional Green Card (2 yrs valid) , then next  step is ROC which as far as I understand  will give you a 10yr GC (regular one with no restrictions/ conditions /what have you) . Isn't this is the end??  Yes that 10yr GC will need to be renewed every 10 yrs unless one wants to become a US citizen ( my French born mother in law has been renewing hers for the last 50 plus yrs!) .

Don't stress :D. So after ROC the green card is for 10yrs and then you can renew it every 10yrs, forever if you like.

N400 is for citizenship.

Only problem with a green card is that if you leave the USA for more than 6mths they can stop you from re-entering the country. So for example: if you have family overseas like I do and you had to move back for a while to take care of someone who is ill then you can't go for more than 6mths. 

Hope this is helpful.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi I sent in my i751 package to CSC on June 2, 2017, and it was received on June 3, 2017. 

check was cashed on June 6, 2017.

I received my NOA 1 today as of June 8, 2017.

(receipt dated June 5, 2017. hmmmm, before they even cashed my check?  lol)

I live in west LA like 40 miles away from Laguna Niguel, it could be faster if I drive there to hand them the package.  LOL

let the waiting game begin AGAIN!  

Edited by kkjiang

3/17/2015 sent out my whole AOS package thru overnight delivery

3/18/2015 received by USCIS in Chicago

3/24/2015 3 Text/e-mail notifications received

3/28/2015 Hardcopies of NOAs in the mailbox (i-130, i-485, i-765)

4/06/2015 Received notification of biometrics

4/17/2015 Biometrics done as scheduled.

4/27/2015 i-485 online status changed ready to schedule an interview. YAY!!!

5/21/2015 i-485 interview is scheduled for June 23rd!!! OMG so surprised!!!!

5/23/2015 i-485 interview notice received in hand

5/29/2015 i-765 is approved and new card is ordered to be produced.

6/05/2015 i-765 approval notice received

6/06/2015 EAD received in hand !!!

6/23/2015 i-485 and i-130 got approved on the spot!!!! waiting for green card to arrive!!

6/29/2015 i-485 and i-130 approval notices received in mail. (welcome letter) YAY!!!

7/09/2015 Finally, received my green card in hand!!!!

ROC Journey now

6/02/2017 i751 package to CSC

6/03/2017 i751 was received by CSC

6/06/2017 check was cashed

6/08/2017 NOA 1 received in mail

6/17/2017 NOA 2 received in mail. Biometrics is scheduled on 6/29/2017 

8/29/2018 Case status changed to "Approved", now waiting for Permanent green card to be delivered!

9/08/2018 10 year GC was delivered.   This journey finally ended today!! yay

NOA1 received yesterday.

ROC Timeline:

May 31: Package mailed    

June 8: NOA1 received, dated June 2

June 27: Biometrics done

Sept 25: Case Status Update Card in Production

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
12 hours ago, tdotca said:

We've already come a long way to be at this stage, ROC.. And being here more than 3 years, having a family and job, friends... That's obviously my life is HERE now. 
So, instead of keeping dealing with your green card renewals every 10 years - why not to take one more step and be done with any "renewals" in future ? Since the most part of the "next year" package is ready, just make copy of that and keep adding the documents till it's time to apply for citizenship? :) 
 And agree with amanda_whitehead - a lot of us still have  parents over there.. I do too.  And they are not getting younger, unfortunately.. So who knows, maybe there will be a time for me to go there and take care of them. And I wouldn't want to be limited with a time to spend with them...

Edited by Ksenia_O

On 6/8/2017 at 7:27 PM, tdotca said:

Thank you tdotca!! :) The cover letter is a result of combining all the ideas I got from this amazing forum!

Becoming a US citizen really depends on the individual as this is a very serious matter. My husband and I have been discussing this for a while now. We don't foresee ourselves living outside the US for the rest of our lives and we plan on establishing our family here. So we have both decided that it's best if I get Naturalized. I want to be able to vote and have the same government benefits in this country where I responsibly pay my taxes and abide the US laws. I want to avoid paying the green card renewal fee every 10 years and would certainly love to free the brain space it is taking to remember that I'd have to do this process every certain deadline. I also want to have a US Passport and be able to travel for longer periods of time, if needed. Truth be told, my current passport requires me to apply a visa in many countries even if traveling is for leisure purposes. I've spent tons of money paying visa fees in my lifetime. I want to travel and not feel like a second class citizen at immigration where we are usually asked for purpose of travel, how much money we carry, how can we afford to travel, and how long do we plan to stay? All these I can enjoy and not necessarily have to give up my current citizenship. I can be a dual citizen if I want to. That is something I'd have to think about and do more research. 

These reasons may not be applicable to you but just thought I should share why most of us will continue the process and apply N400. This process is not required so you may opt out if you think it's not that beneficial for you. Hope this helps!! ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.