9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Dear Kind VJ Users --

My fiancé and I arrived last night at LAX. It's good to be in our new home, but we must finish the work before we can really relax. So we made a list of what to take care of first:

1. Obtain my most recent i94: Downloaded the form and will print. 

2. Arrange a local (Californian) mobile number for both of me and USC Fiancé.

3. Apply for my SSN. We'll go to SS Office closest to my ZIP Code and provide bring these documents: 1.) The SS-5 form; 2.) Passport; 3.) Valid I-94; 4.) Valid ID; 5.) Document RM 10211.530. Now here's where I have some questions about the SS-5 Form:

• Q1: I have never have a SSN before so I should just left the Question 2 empty, yes? 
  • Q2: With my K-1 visa, for Question 5?? Am I a "Legal alien allowed to work", correct? I also printed the information from: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530
  • Q3: As a common practice in my culture, my mom only have one name (i.e. Michelle. no last name or middle name); So I can just leave the 9A section of Middle Name and Last Name empty, yes?
  • Q4: If this is my first time applying for a SSN and I answer NO on Question 11 (re: filing / receiving SSN before), I can just skip question 12 (re: name listed in recent SSN Card) and Question 13 (re: different date of birth), am I correct?
  • Q5: Is my mailing address should be the same one as the one I used during my i129F application or I can use the address of the apartment I'm currently residing?

QUESTION: Should I didn't manage to get a local number before applying for SSN will this be an issue for me???

4. Getting a Marriage License. We will bring of our: 1.) Passports & Birth Certificates; 2.) K-1 Visa documentations and all the whole shebangs. 

5. Get Married. We'll bring bottles of champagne!!!! :)

6. Back to SS Office to notify name change. 

This will be at least our Part One of paper work we must sort out. 

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?????? Please advise.

THANK YOU. 

J/G

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Q1: I would put N/A in the fields. It is seldom good to leave fields blank (blank = you forgot. N/A = means intentionally no answer)

Q2: Legal Alien Not Allowed To Work. You CANNOT work until you get the EAD, which if you want it quickly, you must file for when you file for Adjustment of Status. Otherwise, you must wait until the end of your Adjustment of Status and you receive your green card.

Q3: I would put N/A in the fields. It is seldom good to leave fields blank (blank = you forgot. N/A = means intentionally no answer)

Q4: Correct you say no.

Q5: Use the address your SS card will be mailed to. 

Not-having a local number will not be an issue with any of the processes, though it will make your day-to-day life much easier. 

Edited by PedroDaGr8

Steps Before Citizenship:

Spoiler

K-1

09/24/2016 - I-129F Packet Submitted, 09/26/2016 - NOA1, 10/27/2016 - RFE Received

11/02/2016 - RFE Reply sent

11/09/2016 - NOA2

11/21/2016 - NVC Receives packet

12/12/2016 - Case left NVC for BKK Consulate

01/10/2017 - After travelling via the slowest route possible (likely via carrier pigeon) BKK Consulate receives packet

01/16/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions received 02/28/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions Completed

03/05/2017 - Packet 4 received (now the fun begins) --> 03/29/2017 - Interview disappears from the schedule on the embassy website -->03/30/2017 - She goes to her interview, is told they need to verify her documents since she is Vietnamese interviewing in Thailand, receives a 221G with 'Verification of Viet documents' as the reason. Gave back her passport.-->03/31/2017-04/04/2017 - Case is being continuously touched. We suspect that our case was approved at this point but they didn't have her passport. --> 04/10/2017 (10 days after interview) - Email emabssy to inquire about updates and if there was anything we could do to move things forward. (3h later) - She is told that she is approved and to expect her passport soon (how when they don't have it in their posession?) After clarification, instructed to send our passport to them. Ship out passport in a rush to beat Songkran (which failed) --> 04/11/2017 - Passport at embassy according to Thai Post Office --> 04/17/2017 - Emailed to confirm they received the passport. They issued an evasive answer about Songkran backlog (they love evasive non-committal answers)--> 04/24/2017  Evening - Case changes from Immigrant Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa and a new case created date is given --? 04/25/2017 morning  (less than 12h later) - Case flies through Ready -->Admin Processing --> Issued

04/26/2017 - Checks mail, passport is there. No mention of it being mailed out. 

05/02/2017 - Arrives in the USA, without Issue

06/17/2017 - Marriage!

AOS

7/01/17- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

7/03/17- Packet received

07/07/17 - SMS and Email notification of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/13/17 - Received paper copies of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/21/17 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

08/02/17 - Biometrics Appointment Completed 

11/04/17 - EAD Approved - New Card Is Ready For Production

11/09/17 - AP Approved, EAD - Card Produced Awaiting Mailing, EAD - Card Has Been Mailed.

11/13/17 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received. 

11/05/2018 - Received SMS Notification that Interview Has Been Scheduled

11/10/2018 - Received Paper Interview Notice

12/11/2018 - Interview Date
12/12/2018 - Approved

ROC

11/18/2020 - Mailed ROC packet

11/20/2020 - Packet received

01/16/2021 - Received NOA1 

05/28/2021 - Biometrics Waived

08/04/2021 - ROC Approved

08/11/2021 - GC received

Citizenship

09/15/2021 - N-400 Filed Electronically, NOA-1 received, Biometrics Waiver Received

07/01/2022 - Interview Notice Received
08/10/2022 - Interview Date, Approved, Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Don't stress too much about the ss5 form, they will make sure they get the right information. They'll want to see your visa, i94 and possibly your birth certificate. You are an alien ALLOWED to work (but your SSN card will be contingent DHS approval=EAD). You'll need to provide a US address for them to send the card to.

I would put n/a in all empty spaces EXCEPT for names, you don't want to become Mr John NA Jackson, right? 

For marriage license, check with your local county, but at least for us we needed to bring evidence that one of us were in-state residents. I believe a DL would do the trick.

You're not mentioning anything about AOS? That's what should come first after your marriage certificate is in hand. You may not even be able to change your name until you have at least your EAD. Also, you probably want to look into getting a DL?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
23 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

Don't stress too much about the ss5 form, they will make sure they get the right information. They'll want to see your visa, i94 and possibly your birth certificate. You are an alien ALLOWED to work (but your SSN card will be contingent DHS approval=EAD). You'll need to provide a US address for them to send the card to.

I would put n/a in all empty spaces EXCEPT for names, you don't want to become Mr John NA Jackson, right? 

For marriage license, check with your local county, but at least for us we needed to bring evidence that one of us were in-state residents. I believe a DL would do the trick.

You're not mentioning anything about AOS? That's what should come first after your marriage certificate is in hand. You may not even be able to change your name until you have at least your EAD. Also, you probably want to look into getting a DL?

THANK YOU!!!

I'm a little confuse now. 

I am allowed to apply for SSN yes? What do you mean by, "but your SSN card will be contingent DHS approval=EAD"??

Do I apply for EAD?? What do I do? EAD is point no 21 Correct??? So i must complete the earlier steps before.

My fiancé has a Californian Driving License. So that's Good. Thank you.  

I did not mention about AOS, because I was only making a to-do list of point 15-19 in the K-1 Flow chart:

5-20 minutes 15.
Point of Entry (POE) in U.S.
Beneficiary arrives at Point of Entry (POE) in U.S. and shows K-1 to the immigration officer.

1 hour (early morning) 16.
Apply for Social Security Number
Apply for Social Security Number (SSN)
*See the SSN step-by-step guide for more info. This will allow you to open a bank account and do other things (many states require this for a drivers licence, etc).

1 hour 17.
Apply for marriage certificate
Apply for marriage certificate. Must marry within 90 days of entering the U.S. on a K-1 visa.

VARIES! 18.
Get married
Get married. and give each other a pat on the back. You've both earned it!

1 hour (early morning) 19.
Change name on SSN
Go back to the SSA office and bring your SSN Card and marriage certificate. Change your name.

I believe AOS will be the next step, am I correct? I'm thinking as soon as I completed step 15-19, I'll do 20-23.

Am I on track??

Thank you. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Yes, you can apply for SSN. But, your card will say "valid for work only with DHS authorization ". Which means you are not allowed to work until you've applied and obtained an EAD or GC. The SSN is useful for other purposes though, so it's worth getting. 

Depending on your SSA office, they may want to see an official ID with your new name on it to change the name on your SSN after marriage. You can try to get it done with just your marriage certificate, just be aware that you may not be successful until you have your EAD card or GC.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

When you go to the social security office, print this page from the link below and bring it with you. I've heard stories that the agent gets confused that you are "Legal Alien Allowed to Work" with a K1. When you receive your card it will say something to the effect of "not valid for work without DHS authorization" which you will receive when you file for AOS/EAD/AP. You will file for these three once you are married. You will have to go back to the social security office to show you EAD or GC whichever comes first. You will also want to change you last name if you are taking you husbands name. 

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Good luck and welcome to the US!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are planning to get married in Los Angeles County. Be aware of the wait time   to receive the certificate after your marriage, which is normally 6-8 weeks.

If you are wanting it quicker, take a look at the below thread, as other people have found ways to minimize the time.

AOS from K1

4/20/16: Package delivered

4/27/16: NOA1

5/23/16: Biometrics

6/3/16: Ready for interview status on I-485

7/5/16: SR1 filed (over 75 days)

7/26/16: SR2 filed (over 90 days) - 96 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Q1: I would put N/A in the fields. It is seldom good to leave fields blank (blank = you forgot. N/A = means intentionally no answer)

Q2: Legal Alien Not Allowed To Work. You CANNOT work until you get the EAD, which if you want it quickly, you must file for when you file for Adjustment of Status. Otherwise, you must wait until the end of your Adjustment of Status and you receive your green card.

Q3: I would put N/A in the fields. It is seldom good to leave fields blank (blank = you forgot. N/A = means intentionally no answer)

Q4: Correct you say no.

Q5: Use the address your SS card will be mailed to. 

Not-having a local number will not be an issue with any of the processes, though it will make your day-to-day life much easier. 

You are wrong about  Q2 : K1  IS  legal alien allowed to work. 

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.