Cry_Tuff

POLL: How Did You Meet Your Fiance(e)

How Did You Meet Your Fiance?  

321 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Meet Your Fiance?

• Over the Internet (chat,game, or dating rooms etc..)
    • Met thru a mutual friend
    • Met thru work
    • Met while visiting my fiance(e)'s country
    • Met thru marriage broker/dating service (not online)
    • Other
  2. 2. If you met Via the Internet, How long until you met in person?

• We met a month later after "meeting on internet"
    • 2-4 months later " " " "
    • 5-7 months later " " " "
    • 8-10 months later " " " "
    • 10 months to 1 year later after meeting on internet
    • More than a year later
    • 2 or more years later
    • have never met
  3. 3. How Long After You Met, Did you officially become engaged?

• Soon as we met
    • 1-3 months later
    • 3-6 months later
    • 6-9 months later
    • 9-12 months later
    • 1 year or more
    • more than 2 years
    • Have not become engaged yet

83 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

We met online and after about 8 1/2 months I went to visit him. We got engaged during my visit.

I don't think that it is strange that couples who meet this way end up getting engaged so quickly. The distance forces them to communicate verbally and thus get to know each other very well.... better than if you were to date someone in the same city because you don't have the physical side getting in the way. This way, you talk and REALLY get to know the person then when you do meet... the physical is just a bonus!

I agree. People can be quick to judge others about how fast they are engaged, but like you said, this situation forces you to communicate more than a face-to-face relationship would. You learn more and you make a deeper connection so after a short amount of time, you "just know" if this person is rigt for you or not. Trust me, after hours of talking on the phone, webcams, and chats you get to know that person well. It is an added bonus to date someone without being so focused on the physical part. :yes:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also couldn't vote on the 2nd option.

We met when he was visiting the US*, n/a, and a year and 10 months.

*Actually we sort of met on the Internet when he posted to a message board I read saying "My choir is touring the US and we'll be giving the following concerts" and I replied and said "Cool, one of those is around the corner from my house, I'll probably go" but I don't think that really counts, do you?

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We met at a party in his country, so option 2 doesn't apply to us either. We were officially engaged once we sent out the I-129F - I think :lol:

That was almost 2 years after we met.

I guess we're not so 'traditional'.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Timeline

popped the question 3 hours or less after fist physical contact. meet online; she wanted to brush up on her english. first a couple emails and then chatting 4-6 hours / day for the first 9 months except while I was traveling 2 6 weeks trips or in Vn with her. First time we meet had talk every day for hours we instantly clicked and have been clicking ever since. married now 6 month and living happily in USA. Why would it seemed rushed if one had already chatted for a few hundrend hours??? after the first 9 mounts we weened down to an hour or 2 a day but I decided that going to VN every couple months a better option.

Petitioners First Name: Capt. Joe

Beneficiaries First Name: Logic Girl

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2005-12-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-12-21

I-129F RFE(s) : 2006-04-18

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-05-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-05-11

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2006-05-26

Consulate Received : 2006-05-31

Packet 3 mailed 2006-06-19

Packet 3 Received : 2006-07-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-07-12

Packet 4 Received : 2006-09-23

Interview Date : 2006-10-05 passed!!!!

Visa Received : 2006-10-10

US Entry : 2006-10-13

Marriage : 2006-10-16

Comments : sending out AOS papers 11-27-06

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 149 days.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

We met in 2001. We were both camp counselors (he was here in a J-1 visa).

5 years later we got engaged and married!

Here we are :)

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

We met while I was visiting my grandmother in both our countries. (I'm a naturalized USC).

1. Other

2. N/a

3. Initially we met two years ago...but became a couple during my last trip there, in Dec. 06

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
Anyhow, I always get that "OHHHH...the internet eh?" Like everyone you meet over the internet is suppose to be a serial killer or something :huh:

I get that a lot, too. And, because he's from Nigeria, I get the "oh, he's just using you to get to the U.S." or "Has he asked you for money yet?" Yeah, every person on the internet MUST have something wrong with them. Oh, wait . . . . that would include ME since I was obviously on the internet, too (are you getting the sarcasm???).

I get it also, and we met in person! On a missions trip no less... "he just wants a visa" haha... that was in Jan 2004... the internet just helped us stay in contact and was how our relationship progressed. He proposed over the phone in May 2005, and I probably fully accepted in Jan 2006.. but it was three years before we saw each other again.... I am probably going to be the poster child for why dad's shouldn't send their daughters on missions trips! lol...

04/16/2007 - I-129F Mailed to TSC

04/24/2007 - Official NOA1 Date

08/10/2007 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/17/2007 - INTERVIEW (PUT IN AP)

02/18/2008 - VISA ARRIVED IN MAIL!!

02/28/2008 - Arrives in the U.S.A!!!

03/15/2008 - Wedding Day!!

04/10/2008 - AOS Package Mailed (almost 1 year to the date later)

04/11/2008 - Received in Chicago

04/17/2008 - Check cashed

04/19/2008 - 3 NOAs received!

05/09/2008 - Biometrics Appt in SATX

05/14/2008 - Case transfered to CSC

06/11/2008 - EAD & AP Approved CRIS email

06/17/2008 - AP received in mail

06/21/2008 - EAD received in mail

01/21/2009 - FINALLY AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

We met some 5 years ago in an on-line game. We became part of a group of friends who met regularly to play together and gradually over time we became closer and closer. I first met him in person last July in a 2 week holiday I took to meet him and another gaming friend. We found we were both in love and so I managed to get a 2 month unpaid leave of absence from work to stay with him in September - November to get to know each other and his family. My family still find it hard to understand how you can get such strong feelings from meeting on-line.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

We meet through work :D Thanks Boss!!

We both work for a known international company, and they sent him on a 1 month long business trip to Buenos Aires. We started hanging out as friends...and by the time he had to go back to the US we were completely in love :luv:

We didn't say anything about it at the beginning, when my boss found out she asked me about it in front of a very large group of people...I turned bright red and they all had a good laugh :blush:

We got officially engaged the third time we met, in march...that was 6 1/2 months after our first meeting.

About the whole green card/ money thing...people that know us, know our feelings are true...and the rest, we don't really care about! ;)

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

• 4 months later...

We met personally after 3 months of talking online and through the phone everyday and then we got engaged and we waited almost 2 months before the wedding.

Whenever someone here where I live asks me "How did you meet your fiance if he still lives in England" (like it's really a no brainer :P ) My reply is of course we met over the internet, on a chat/forum/download site that both he and I frequented..neither of us was looking for love...he seen my pic, sent me a lovely message, and it went from there...blah, blah, blah...)...Anyhow, I always get that "OHHHH...the internet eh?" Like everyone you meet over the internet is suppose to be a serial killer or something :huh:

Curiosity has got the better of me, so I've created this poll to find out...am I really that alone (not that I think I am...lol... just wondering the statistics :dance:

So, here you go, you are definitely not the only one who met online. We did too and people still find it weird.

The first time I entered the US and the custom guy asked me who I was going to vist and how I met him, made me suspicious. That was in Minneapolis. I was questioned for 20 minutes and they called my SO, who just happened to be at Safeway, doing shopping for my visit.

Threathening he would sent me back if I came here for fraudulent reasons and scaring my SO, that would get a 5 year bar. :unsure:

Luckily he let me through eventually, I guess he had an off-day. :whistle:

o5cni131ii.png

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2009-05-04

NOA Date : 2009-05-21

Online USCIS website: 06-03-2009 ( so am I a May or June filer now.)

Bio. Appt. : 2009-07-24 (walk-in on 07/14/09 and accepted)

*Touch*: 07-15-2009

Card ordered: 2009-08-26

Letter received approved: dated 08-22-2009 :o

*touch* : 2009-08-31

Green card recvd: 2009-09-01

April 2010: Eligible to file for US citizenship

My handmade Jewelry

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

1. Met online in a Yahoo chat room.

2. spent 4 years getting to know him....webcams, phone calls everyday....emails, even his mom emailed me daily!

3. Got engaged soon as we met! went to visit his parents 2 weeks after i got there.......and he asked me to marry him in front of his parents....i waslike well we are engaged arent we...he said yes we are but i want to marry you NOW!! i was shaking....lost for words....so off we went to the courthouse to get our marriage license...next stop was the jewellers.....4 days later we got married!! (L)(L) I've never been happier :D His parents organised an open house for family & friends we had a great time and his mom & dad just love me :blush:

we've now been married 2 years (L)

Edited by MariaDane

Separated!!

We met on IRC. I went into a music chatroom and I didn't realize it was all Romanians. Angi was the only one who talked to me { At the time I thought it was b/c no one liked me or sum, but I later found out it was b/c most of the people there were too shy to talk b/c they were worried about their english}. We started talking on yahoo messenger everyday. About five months later or so we started talking about getting married. A year after that I flew to Romania and we got married.

I get a lot of the "How could you marry someone you met off the internet" and the "He only married you for a visa". It's annoying but people are entitled to their opinions I suppose, however negative they may be. Which of course you get back what you put out there so if you only think negative things you get negative in return so it makes sense that someone with these opinions couldn't understand how we feel b/c nothing so fortunate has happened to them. If that makes any sense at all. :lol:

3dflagsdotcom_roman_2faws.gifaheart2.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif

Our CR-1 Timeline

Feb 20, 2010 ~ We will file to remove conditions

Found my fiancee's profile in Heartsofasia in September 2006

We emailed back and forth for a month.

Our first yahoo chat in November

Went to Philippines to visit her February 2,2007

Talked to her parents and asked for their blessings. I told them I will only beat her every Friday :devil: and I wanted chickens as dowry , hahaha.

Proposed to her on valentines day on top of Taal Volcano

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.