2017-7-14: New Scan date

2017-08-16: NVC Case Complete

2017-08-23: Received NVC email about Case Complete

2017-09-26: Interview scheduled

2017-10-10 Medical (Done)

2017-11-01: Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

question.  ive recently read that the sponsors income must be us-based.  i did not submit any us-based income on my federal tax return to NVC.  however i did submit lots of us-based assets including stocks, mutual funds and savings accounts.  

will the assets be enough to meet the requirements now that my income may not be evaluated?

should i expect a checklist?

my assets more than meet the income requirements.

i also submitted my overseas work contract.  i do not work for an american company.

thoughts?

@cake68  

If sponsoring your spouse, they require your assets to be more than 3x's over the poverty line. If not your spouse, it's 5x over the poverty line.   It's my understanding that the NVC will automatically suggest in a letter to have a co-sponsor ready for your interview. But it's ultimately up to the embassy (interviewer) to decide if one is needed or not.. It's my understanding that NVC doesn't verify if you have enough assets, they just verify that they're included in your file..  I imagine you would get a checklist if you didn't include your assets. 

If I were you, I would verify with the NVC by contacting them on Monday. 

Edited by JBMG

@cake68  

If sponsoring your spouse, they require your assets to be more than 3x's over the poverty line. If not your spouse, it's 5x over the poverty line.   It's my understanding that the NVC will automatically suggest in a letter to have a co-sponsor ready for your interview. But it's ultimately up to the embassy (interviewer) to decide if one is needed or not.. It's my understanding that NVC doesn't verify if you have enough assets, they just verify that they're included in your file..  I imagine you would get a checklist if you didn't include your assets. 

If I were you, I would verify with the NVC by contacting them on Monday. 

thanks for the speedy reply.

so if i understand you correctly.  if my assets meet the requirement (3x above poverty line) the NVC could still suggest a co-sponsor at interview?  and the officer will make final decision regarding a co-sponsor.  once or IF that decision is made by the officer will i be required to resubmit my financials and start the 11 week wait again or will i just be declined OR both?  

i hope that made sense.

finally i am calling the NVC to verify whether or not they review or simply verify receipt of assets when income is not us-based?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

thanks for the speedy reply.

so if i understand you correctly.  if my assets meet the requirement (3x above poverty line) the NVC could still suggest a co-sponsor at interview?  and the officer will make final decision regarding a co-sponsor.  once or IF that decision is made by the officer will i be required to resubmit my financials and start the 11 week wait again or will i just be declined OR both?  

i hope that made sense.

finally i am calling the NVC to verify whether or not they review or simply verify receipt of assets when income is not us-based?

Here is a thread of others talking about it. 

Correction to my last comment. You must show on this affidavit that you have enough income and/or assets to maintain the intending immigrant(s) and the rest of your household at 125 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. 

http://familiesusa.org/product/federal-poverty-guidelines

http://www.masslegalservices.org/content/federal-poverty-guidelines-2017

Now in answering your questions: 

"will i be required to resubmit my financials and start the 11 week wait again or will i just be declined OR both?"

If the officer requires a co-sponsor or any additional paperwork, that paperwork will be sent directly to your embassy.. I've read somewhere on one of these forum threads that the embassy officer requested a co-sponsor, within a week of sending in their co-sponsor's info, they got their visa.  So no, you don't have that 11 weeks review time with the NVC because you're no longer dealing with the NVC, you're working directly with your embassy. 

Regarding your call to the NVC.. I would call for peace of mind, explain what happened, and see what questions they may ask you. If possible ask them about part 6 of your i-864. 

Here are the instructions on the i-864. 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Our scan date is April 5th.

Married May 14, 2011

NOA 1: August 2, 2016

NOA 2: February 9, 2017

Scan date for NVC: April 5, 2017

Case Complete at NVC: June 7, 2017, checklist for W2s to take to interview

Medical scheduled for July 6, 2017

Interview in Ankara: July 19, 2017

Visa arrived July 21, 2017

Tickets bought for POE in September 2017! Can't wait!

Here is a thread of others talking about it. 

Correction to my last comment. You must show on this affidavit that you have enough income and/or assets to maintain the intending immigrant(s) and the rest of your household at 125 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. 

http://familiesusa.org/product/federal-poverty-guidelines

http://www.masslegalservices.org/content/federal-poverty-guidelines-2017

Now in answering your questions: 

"will i be required to resubmit my financials and start the 11 week wait again or will i just be declined OR both?"

If the officer requires a co-sponsor or any additional paperwork, that paperwork will be sent directly to your embassy.. I've read somewhere on one of these forum threads that the embassy officer requested a co-sponsor, within a week of sending in their co-sponsor's info, they got their visa.  So no, you don't have that 11 weeks review time with the NVC because you're no longer dealing with the NVC, you're working directly with your embassy. 

Regarding your call to the NVC.. I would call for peace of mind, explain what happened, and see what questions they may ask you. If possible ask them about part 6 of your i-864. 

Here are the instructions on the i-864. 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

gotcha.  this helps.  thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.