DGTB

Washington, DC Field Office Filers

1,041 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
On 10/20/2017 at 11:28 AM, LRP said:

Everyone - I had my interview at the Washington D.C. office yesterday and just wanted to relay my experience. I will try to be as detailed as possible so please bear with me if its turns out to be a long post. 

My interview was at 11:30 AM in the morning and I got there at 11:10 AM. For other/future D.C. filers, you can find parking right across the street (beside the line of shops and restaurants) where if you park from 0-3 hours, its free. I went in through the front door and past security check. The security guards were very friendly and joked with me when they saw how nervous I was. I took the elevator to the 2nd floor based on their instructions, submitted my interview letter to the reception and waited for my name to be called. Around 11:30, an IO called out my name and asked me to come with him. He led me to his office where he confirmed my name and A number. After I took the oath, he asked for my passport (old and new), Driver's license and GC. He also asked for my biometrics appointment date (I did an early walk in) and looked at my copy of the biometrics letter to confirm. He took fingerprints of both my index fingers and a picture. When I jokingly said that I didn't put on enough make up for this picture to be on my naturalization certificate, he said this is just for their records and won't be on the certificate. He asked me if I was ready to take the civics test and proceeded to ask the following questions:

What is the name of the national anthem?

Why does the flag have 13 stripes?

What ocean is on the West Coast of the United States?

What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States?

What is the rule of law?

How old do citizens have to be to vote for President?

The reading section was this question: "How many U.S. Senators are there?". The writing section was the answer to the question. Based on previous interview experiences, I asked specifically if I should write in print or cursive to which he replied "print". All this was done on paper (he wrote down my answers of the civics test) and scanned into the system right after. 

Next, we went through my application. He asked me my full name, DOB, social security number, height (not sure why haha), phone number, address, the last time I traveled outside the U.S. and if I had taken any trips in between then and my interview date, where I worked, my wedding anniversary date, my husband's full name, his naturalization date, whether we lived together, whether we had children, how I met my husband and all the questions on Part 12 of the form. He told me I had passed all the tests then asked me to confirm my A-number, name and other personal details on a screen and sign it. The Oath of Allegiance then came up on the screen and I was asked to sign it as well. He gave me the paper recommending me for approval and told me to wait for mail confirming the oath taking ceremony date. I asked him how long that would take to which he replied about one month. I also asked him if I should bring anything to the ceremony to which he said there will be instructions on the mail but to make sure to bring the paper he just gave me, both my GCs and international passport. With that I was done!

While I left like the whole interview must have been an hour long, my husband said it was only 20 minutes (theory of relativity folks!). The IO was very nice and calm. He was patient with my nervous joking and elaborate answers. All in all, a great experience!

My online status on ELIS changed within the day to confirm my case was approved and to wait for the oath taking ceremony letter in the mail. But curiously USCIS.gov displayed this message: Case Was Submitted For Quality Review Based On An Approval Recommendation. I am not putting too much importance on this since ELIS is the most updated one. 

Hope this helps!

Hello everyone.

I had my interview at 8:30am in the morning on 12 March, 2018 at Washington D.C field office (Fairfax VA). 

Please let me share my experience with you guys briefly.

My experience also sounds very close to the one to LRP's. Thank you so much for your effort to mention about the details of your interview which really helped me.

Here're the questions I was asked for the civic test;

What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?

Who is the "Father of Our Country?

Who is the Governor of your state now? ( I memorized former Governor's name but I could found out the new one 2days before the interview... Phew...)

What movement tried to end racial discrimination?

Where is the Statue of Liberty?

Name two national U.S. holidays.

For the reading test and writing test, I am sorry that I seemed to be so nervous so I did not remember clearly. But I just remembered that both of the tests are the answers of the civic test questions and they were easy.

After the tests,  I.O , she told me that I passed all the tests.

Then she reviewed my application and confirmed my answer if they are the same to my application.

After that, she handed over the paper of "Naturalization Interview Results" to me.

(It mentioned that "You passed the tests" and "Congratulations! Your application is recommended for approval")

She just told me to wait for the letter for the oath ceremony information which will be delivered to me within 60-90 days.

The I.O who interviewed me did not ask any difficult questions or ask for submit documents. She was friendly and kind.

The whole time for my interview took about 15-20 minutes, I suppose.

So far ( as of 6 April, 2018),  my online status has not updated yet. Hopefully it will change soon and will find out the date of oath ceremony!

Wish you guys best luck who still have been waiting for interview! 

31 minutes ago, M Sea said:

Hello everyone.

I had my interview at 8:30am in the morning on 12 March, 2018 at Washington D.C field office (Fairfax VA). 

Please let me share my experience with you guys briefly.

My experience also sounds very close to the one to LRP's. Thank you so much for your effort to mention about the details of your interview which really helped me.

Here're the questions I was asked for the civic test;

What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?

Who is the "Father of Our Country?

Who is the Governor of your state now? ( I memorized former Governor's name but I could found out the new one 2days before the interview... Phew...)

What movement tried to end racial discrimination?

Where is the Statue of Liberty?

Name two national U.S. holidays.

For the reading test and writing test, I am sorry that I seemed to be so nervous so I did not remember clearly. But I just remembered that both of the tests are the answers of the civic test questions and they were easy.

After the tests,  I.O , she told me that I passed all the tests.

Then she reviewed my application and confirmed my answer if they are the same to my application.

After that, she handed over the paper of "Naturalization Interview Results" to me.

(It mentioned that "You passed the tests" and "Congratulations! Your application is recommended for approval")

She just told me to wait for the letter for the oath ceremony information which will be delivered to me within 60-90 days.

The I.O who interviewed me did not ask any difficult questions or ask for submit documents. She was friendly and kind.

The whole time for my interview took about 15-20 minutes, I suppose.

So far ( as of 6 April, 2018),  my online status has not updated yet. Hopefully it will change soon and will find out the date of oath ceremony!

Wish you guys best luck who still have been waiting for interview! 

Hi, Can you please share with us your timeline? When did you file your n-400? and when was you biometrics ? thank you

Timeline
44 minutes ago, MahUSA said:

Hi, Can you please share with us your timeline? When did you file your n-400? and when was you biometrics ? thank you

Hi there! Thanks for asking. Here's my case;

UserName.........|GC-Date.|Sent.|Cashd|NOA..|Fprints.|In Line..|Int Ltr..|Intrview.|Oath.....|Field Office.....|

M Sea............|        |07/10|--/--|--/--|08/04/17|08/22/17.|02/02/18.|03/12/18.|--/--/--.|Washington, DC...|

Please note; I actually was scheduled on 12 Aug. 2018 for my biometrics though I knew I was supposed to be out of town at that day. So I did walk in ASC and did have my biometrics done earlier (4 Aug. 2018) 

Also there's an updates today! ( as of 6 April 2018); I just got an information by email that my status has updated to Oath Ceremony will be scheduled.

Shall keep you posted ;-)

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
11 minutes ago, M Sea said:

UserName.........|GC-Date.|Sent.|Cashd|NOA..|Fprints.|In Line..|Int Ltr..|Intrview.|Oath.....|Field Office.....|

M Sea............|        |07/10|--/--|--/--|08/04/17|08/22/17.|02/02/18.|03/12/18.|--/--/--.|Washington, DC...|

Please note; I actually was scheduled on 12 Aug. 2018 for my biometrics though I knew I was supposed to be out of town at that day. So I did walk in ASC and did have my biometrics done earlier (4 Aug. 2018) 

Also there's an updates today! ( as of 6 April 2018); I just got an information by email that my status has updated to Oath Ceremony will be scheduled.

Employment or marriage green card?

Timeline
9 minutes ago, shomer said:

15 minutes ago, shomer said:

9 minutes ago, shomer said:

Oops, sorry,  I applied with marriage green card.   

8 hours ago, M Sea said:

Thank you!! And congrats, you're almost there! Let us know when you are sworn in, Good Luck! :-)

Does anyone have an idea what the typical time range is between interview and oath ceremony for filers from Washington, DC proper? What's the earliest that it could be (one or two weeks?), and what's the average? Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, jxn said:

Does anyone have an idea what the typical time range is between interview and oath ceremony for filers from Washington, DC proper? What's the earliest that it could be (one or two weeks?), and what's the average? Thanks!

My interview was on March 5, I was approved on the spot and my status changes to "Oath ceremony will be scheduled that day".

Since I was going to move out of DC a month after the interview, I was hoping I could have been scheduled to the oath ceremony in April. No luck. I think I would have made it to the May ceremony, but I'm now in MD and waiting for the oath ceremony here...

I-130

06/25/2013 - I-130 sent via USPS
06/27/2013 - Delivered to USCIS Chicago

07/02/2013 - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation email (PD June 28).

07/03/2013 - Check cashed

09/11/2013 - I-130 transferred to Nebraska Service Center

11/13/2013 - I-130 transferred to USCIS local field office (3 weeks after the interview)

11/25/2013 - I-130 Approved

AOS, EAD, AP

07/30/2013 - AOS packet sent via USPS ( I-485, I-131, I-765)

08/01/2013 - Delivered to USCIS Chicago
08/12/2013 - Received 3 USCIS Acceptance Confirmation SMS/emails. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail.
08/12/2013 - Check cashed
08/15/2013 - Received 3 NOA's by mail.
08/19/2013 - Received Biometrics appointment
08/20/2013 - Biometrics completed by walk in
09/06/2013 - Original Biometrics appointment

08/27/2013 - Expedited AP Approved / EAD was approved as well.

08/30/2013 - Second EAD/AP card ordered confirmation e-mail.

09/03/2013 - EAD/AP card shipped (USPS tracking number)

09/05/2013 - EAD/AP card received

09/05/2013 - I-485 status online changed to "testing & interview"

09/20/2013 - I-485 status showing the interview date (Oct. 24)
09/23/2013 - Received NOA about the interview appointment

10/24/2013 - Interview (Approved!)

11/25/2013 - First Card Production Ordered e-mail (5:30pm)

11/25/2013 - Status Update: Decision (9:00pm)

11/29/2013 - Second Card Production Ordered e-mail with Tracking # (8:45pm)

12/02/2013 - Green Card Received

I-751

07/23/2015 - I-751 sent via USPS

07/27/2015 - Package received at VSC

08/03/2015 - Check cashed

08/03/2015 - Received NOA, dated 07/28/2015

08/13/2015 - Received Biometrics notice for 08/24/2015

06/27/2016 - "New Card is Being Produced" Text Message (12:30pm - Eastern)

10 hours ago, MahUSA said:

Does anyone know if Washington field office allows early walk-ins for biometrics?

We've done it successfully, but keep in mind that for biometrics it's not the Washington Field Office itself (they do interviews) but rather the Alexandria, VA Application Support Center (ASC).

At least for residents of DC proper. Confirm the location on your USCIS letter and double-check that it's the right office here: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=ASC

Edited by jxn

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Ok Guys here is my Interview experience ! 

Today my was my interview at Fairfax  USCIS office . my interview was so early today  ( 7:15 am ):unsure: !! but I felt lucky because I did not have to cancel my appointments today :P ! . 

so I went so early and I DO encourage everyone with an interview  to reach USCIS about 45-30 mins before his time ! . First there are very limited parking spots and  you will be finding so many people ahead of you checking in for their appointments ! so you don't wanna be late ! 

Anyways back to the interview I reached the location , parked my car and went inside the building before 7 am and it was so smooth , went to the 2nd floor where all interviews take place and checked in easily and waited for about 10 mins before a man came in and called my name .

My application was based on a 3 years rule  so I took my wife with me just in case they need her ! but they did not at the end :huh: . They actually told her to wait outside !

I went inside the guy's office and he asked me to raise my hand and repeat an oath after him then he asked me to sit down and he started right away with the Civic questions . All the questions were easy and straight forward , he asked me the following questions :- 

1- in case the president and the vice president were unable to rule who is gonna take their place ? 

2- we elect senates for how many years ? 

3-what's the name of the national anthem of the US ?

4-what is the declaration of Independence ? 

5-name one war fought by the US in the 18s ? 

and honestly I don't remember the 6th question now !:rolleyes: but I answered all the questions at once and quickly . then He handed me a paper with a sentence on it and asked me to read it . It says (( Columbus day is a national holiday )) and then asked me to write a sentence and it was  (( Columbus day is in October )) ! 

He congratulated me then for passing the English and the civic test and he started to review my application with me . He asked me about my wife's Birth certificate and her passport ! he also asked about the Taxes and selective service  paper so be prepared to bring them  . And that was all what he asked about ! he literally reviewed everything in 15 minutes before starting to print two papers asking me to sign it and told me I will recommend you for naturalization :jest:   yaaaaaahoooooooooo ! 

That was my full experience today April 20th in Washington Dc/Fairfax office .

I wish everyone luck with his/her application and hope you have your interviews and oaths as soon as possible !

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Haideraaz said:

Ok Guys here is my Interview experience ! 

Today my was my interview at Fairfax  USCIS office . my interview was so early today  ( 7:15 am ):unsure: !! but I felt lucky because I did not have to cancel my appointments today :P ! . 

so I went so early and I DO encourage everyone with an interview  to reach USCIS about 45-30 mins before his time ! . First there are very limited parking spots and  you will be finding so many people ahead of you checking in for their appointments ! so you don't wanna be late ! 

Anyways back to the interview I reached the location , parked my car and went inside the building before 7 am and it was so smooth , went to the 2nd floor where all interviews take place and checked in easily and waited for about 10 mins before a man came in and called my name .

My application was based on a 3 years rule  so I took my wife with me just in case they need her ! but they did not at the end :huh: . They actually told her to wait outside !

I went inside the guy's office and he asked me to raise my hand and repeat an oath after him then he asked me to sit down and he started right away with the Civic questions . All the questions were easy and straight forward , he asked me the following questions :- 

1- in case the president and the vice president were unable to rule who is gonna take their place ? 

2- we elect senates for how many years ? 

3-what's the name of the national anthem of the US ?

4-what is the declaration of Independence ? 

5-name one war fought by the US in the 18s ? 

and honestly I don't remember the 6th question now !:rolleyes: but I answered all the questions at once and quickly . then He handed me a paper with a sentence on it and asked me to read it . It says (( Columbus day is a national holiday )) and then asked me to write a sentence and it was  (( Columbus day is in October )) ! 

He congratulated me then for passing the English and the civic test and he started to review my application with me . He asked me about my wife's Birth certificate and her passport ! he also asked about the Taxes and selective service  paper so be prepared to bring them  . And that was all what he asked about ! he literally reviewed everything in 15 minutes before starting to print two papers asking me to sign it and told me I will recommend you for naturalization :jest:   yaaaaaahoooooooooo ! 

That was my full experience today April 20th in Washington Dc/Fairfax office .

I wish everyone luck with his/her application and hope you have your interviews and oaths as soon as possible !

Congrats!  What is your timeline (application date, online/paper, fingerprints?)  Re: selective service, what is your age and were you required to register?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline
5 minutes ago, shomer said:

Congrats!  What is your timeline (application date, online/paper, fingerprints?)  Re: selective service, what is your age and were you required to register?

Thanks . I applied last August , Paper filing my fingerprints was late September . 

for the selective service I was 26 exactly when I received my green card and honestly I did not register but they sent me the registration to my address and I kept it ! so I guess they registered me automatically ! . If you are a male and at a age of 18-26 then yes you are required to register !   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.