DGTB

Washington, DC Field Office Filers

1,041 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, this post is about my infopass experience. I went for an infopass appointment last Friday to inquire about my oath ceremony - more specifically why my oath hadn't been scheduled despite it being 6 weeks since my interview. My case was put on quality review on the day of the interview and I hadn't had any communication since then. The customer service officer called the I.O. in charge of my case but he wasn't available. I didn't get any update other than that my file is with him. It was good to know that my file hasn't been lost or misplaced. The customer service officer said to wait for a few more weeks as it hasn't been 90 days as yet (that's the timeline to complete a quality review). With the holiday season on our doorstep I believe it would take a miracle for some movement to take place on my case now. Today marks 7 weeks that my case is in quality review and no oath ceremony has been scheduled. 

Regardless, I learned a few general things from my appointment: 

1. The Washington DC field office only schedules naturalization ceremonies at the field office for military personals and people who had to be re-tested. Everyone else gets scheduled through the courts I'm assuming. 

2. The officer in customer service can directly call the I.O. in charge of your case file for an update. If the I.O. isn't there, the customer service officer can (hopefully) pass on the message to him/her 

3. If your case goes for quality review then their system will mention the officer it was assigned to. If the system shows it is with the I.O. originally in charge of your case then either the file has come back to him/her and completed the quality review or it hasn't been sent out in the first place .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 12:10 PM, LRP said:

After 10 WEEKS of being in Quality Review, I finally have my oath ceremony date: Jan 20, 2018. @airborne any updates on your case?

Any updates, @Air_Borne (correcting username)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just wanted to provide information on my case. It may be useful for those who need to re-schedule their interviews with the Washington, DC Office.

On Nov. 28, 2017, my case status was updated and my interview was scheduled for Jan. 2, 2018. Since I was going to be out of the country that day, I requested for the interview to be rescheduled. I was able to do it by e-mail with the Washington, DC Office. I followed the steps mentioned here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/387053-rescheduling-n400-interview-by-e-mail/. I wrote them on Nov. 30 and on the same day I got an electronic copy that my interview had been de-scheduled (I applied online).

Today, Jan. 22, 2018 I finally got a case update status that my interview has been scheduled again. The interview letter hasn't been uploaded yet, so I don't know when it will be. I assume it will be a month from now.

Interestingly, it took approximately the same time (53 days) for the interviews to be scheduled (following the biometrics and the de-schedule notice, respectively).

I-130

06/25/2013 - I-130 sent via USPS
06/27/2013 - Delivered to USCIS Chicago

07/02/2013 - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation email (PD June 28).

07/03/2013 - Check cashed

09/11/2013 - I-130 transferred to Nebraska Service Center

11/13/2013 - I-130 transferred to USCIS local field office (3 weeks after the interview)

11/25/2013 - I-130 Approved

AOS, EAD, AP

07/30/2013 - AOS packet sent via USPS ( I-485, I-131, I-765)

08/01/2013 - Delivered to USCIS Chicago
08/12/2013 - Received 3 USCIS Acceptance Confirmation SMS/emails. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail.
08/12/2013 - Check cashed
08/15/2013 - Received 3 NOA's by mail.
08/19/2013 - Received Biometrics appointment
08/20/2013 - Biometrics completed by walk in
09/06/2013 - Original Biometrics appointment

08/27/2013 - Expedited AP Approved / EAD was approved as well.

08/30/2013 - Second EAD/AP card ordered confirmation e-mail.

09/03/2013 - EAD/AP card shipped (USPS tracking number)

09/05/2013 - EAD/AP card received

09/05/2013 - I-485 status online changed to "testing & interview"

09/20/2013 - I-485 status showing the interview date (Oct. 24)
09/23/2013 - Received NOA about the interview appointment

10/24/2013 - Interview (Approved!)

11/25/2013 - First Card Production Ordered e-mail (5:30pm)

11/25/2013 - Status Update: Decision (9:00pm)

11/29/2013 - Second Card Production Ordered e-mail with Tracking # (8:45pm)

12/02/2013 - Green Card Received

I-751

07/23/2015 - I-751 sent via USPS

07/27/2015 - Package received at VSC

08/03/2015 - Check cashed

08/03/2015 - Received NOA, dated 07/28/2015

08/13/2015 - Received Biometrics notice for 08/24/2015

06/27/2016 - "New Card is Being Produced" Text Message (12:30pm - Eastern)

Hi all,

I had my interview at Fairfax,VA on 11/27 and i passed the test. Due to my pending i751 IO gave me a paper saying desicion cannot be made. He asked me to wait in the waiting area by the time he gets the approval from a supervisor, he came back and told me that supervisor just steped out. He said they will send me a letter. After the interview he asked me to check and sign the paperwork regarding the naturalization certificate. 

Is there anyone in the same boat like me ? Passed the test while pending i751?

Thanks

Edited by elturko

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a list of locations that host the Washington, DC naturalization ceremonies? I know the dates are posted on the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, but online there are videos of the ceremonies being held at various different federal buildings (U.S: Treasury, National Archives, et cetera). Are those one-off ceremonies for special occasions, or are they regularly held at different locations in DC?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 10/20/2017 at 11:28 AM, LRP said:

Everyone - I had my interview at the Washington D.C. office yesterday and just wanted to relay my experience. I will try to be as detailed as possible so please bear with me if its turns out to be a long post. 

My interview was at 11:30 AM in the morning and I got there at 11:10 AM. For other/future D.C. filers, you can find parking right across the street (beside the line of shops and restaurants) where if you park from 0-3 hours, its free. I went in through the front door and past security check. The security guards were very friendly and joked with me when they saw how nervous I was. I took the elevator to the 2nd floor based on their instructions, submitted my interview letter to the reception and waited for my name to be called. Around 11:30, an IO called out my name and asked me to come with him. He led me to his office where he confirmed my name and A number. After I took the oath, he asked for my passport (old and new), Driver's license and GC. He also asked for my biometrics appointment date (I did an early walk in) and looked at my copy of the biometrics letter to confirm. He took fingerprints of both my index fingers and a picture. When I jokingly said that I didn't put on enough make up for this picture to be on my naturalization certificate, he said this is just for their records and won't be on the certificate. He asked me if I was ready to take the civics test and proceeded to ask the following questions:

What is the name of the national anthem?

Why does the flag have 13 stripes?

What ocean is on the West Coast of the United States?

What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States?

What is the rule of law?

How old do citizens have to be to vote for President?

The reading section was this question: "How many U.S. Senators are there?". The writing section was the answer to the question. Based on previous interview experiences, I asked specifically if I should write in print or cursive to which he replied "print". All this was done on paper (he wrote down my answers of the civics test) and scanned into the system right after. 

Next, we went through my application. He asked me my full name, DOB, social security number, height (not sure why haha), phone number, address, the last time I traveled outside the U.S. and if I had taken any trips in between then and my interview date, where I worked, my wedding anniversary date, my husband's full name, his naturalization date, whether we lived together, whether we had children, how I met my husband and all the questions on Part 12 of the form. He told me I had passed all the tests then asked me to confirm my A-number, name and other personal details on a screen and sign it. The Oath of Allegiance then came up on the screen and I was asked to sign it as well. He gave me the paper recommending me for approval and told me to wait for mail confirming the oath taking ceremony date. I asked him how long that would take to which he replied about one month. I also asked him if I should bring anything to the ceremony to which he said there will be instructions on the mail but to make sure to bring the paper he just gave me, both my GCs and international passport. With that I was done!

While I left like the whole interview must have been an hour long, my husband said it was only 20 minutes (theory of relativity folks!). The IO was very nice and calm. He was patient with my nervous joking and elaborate answers. All in all, a great experience!

My online status on ELIS changed within the day to confirm my case was approved and to wait for the oath taking ceremony letter in the mail. But curiously USCIS.gov displayed this message: Case Was Submitted For Quality Review Based On An Approval Recommendation. I am not putting too much importance on this since ELIS is the most updated one. 

Hope this helps!

Just passed my interview in DC. My experience was very similar to LRP's. 

I took the metro there (orange line: Dunn-Loring station) and it was a short walk from the station (5 minutes or so). I was impressed with how much that area changed since my last interview back in 2013.

During the interview, I was asked the following questions (I forgot one of the questions asked):

- One war the US. fought in the 1900s

- When do we vote for President? (month)

- Who is the Chief Justice?

- How many voting Representatives are there in the House? 

- For how long do we elect U.S. House Representatives?

I was then told to write "Washington was the first President" and to read "Who was the First President?".

All is all it was a very pleasant experience. Officer was very professional but also friendly. My case status changed almost immediately after I left the building and it is now "My Oath Ceremony will be scheduled". Hopefully I will able to be scheduled for the April ceremony in DC.

Best of luck to all of you who are going through the process!

I-130

06/25/2013 - I-130 sent via USPS
06/27/2013 - Delivered to USCIS Chicago

07/02/2013 - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation email (PD June 28).

07/03/2013 - Check cashed

09/11/2013 - I-130 transferred to Nebraska Service Center

11/13/2013 - I-130 transferred to USCIS local field office (3 weeks after the interview)

11/25/2013 - I-130 Approved

AOS, EAD, AP

07/30/2013 - AOS packet sent via USPS ( I-485, I-131, I-765)

08/01/2013 - Delivered to USCIS Chicago
08/12/2013 - Received 3 USCIS Acceptance Confirmation SMS/emails. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail.
08/12/2013 - Check cashed
08/15/2013 - Received 3 NOA's by mail.
08/19/2013 - Received Biometrics appointment
08/20/2013 - Biometrics completed by walk in
09/06/2013 - Original Biometrics appointment

08/27/2013 - Expedited AP Approved / EAD was approved as well.

08/30/2013 - Second EAD/AP card ordered confirmation e-mail.

09/03/2013 - EAD/AP card shipped (USPS tracking number)

09/05/2013 - EAD/AP card received

09/05/2013 - I-485 status online changed to "testing & interview"

09/20/2013 - I-485 status showing the interview date (Oct. 24)
09/23/2013 - Received NOA about the interview appointment

10/24/2013 - Interview (Approved!)

11/25/2013 - First Card Production Ordered e-mail (5:30pm)

11/25/2013 - Status Update: Decision (9:00pm)

11/29/2013 - Second Card Production Ordered e-mail with Tracking # (8:45pm)

12/02/2013 - Green Card Received

I-751

07/23/2015 - I-751 sent via USPS

07/27/2015 - Package received at VSC

08/03/2015 - Check cashed

08/03/2015 - Received NOA, dated 07/28/2015

08/13/2015 - Received Biometrics notice for 08/24/2015

06/27/2016 - "New Card is Being Produced" Text Message (12:30pm - Eastern)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline
On 3/13/2018 at 3:03 PM, Waitingforczship said:

Congrats to those who got their citizenship.  For those that had the interview going through the NBC, how long was your wait time.  Seems that IOE is much faster.  Thanks.

just had my status to Interview was scheduled after 7 months of filing by mail  NBC! . Good luck ! 

Just now, Haideraaz said:

Edited by Haideraaz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline
7 hours ago, Waitingforczship said:

Congratulations.  Is your interview in DC or in Virginia?  I wonder if it there is a significant difference between locations.

Thanks , I guess all DC applicants go to Fairfax office for interview . I live inside DC but I ll have my interview in Virginia( Fairfax) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.