DGTB

Washington, DC Field Office Filers

1,041 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2019 at 11:19 AM, bxb9 said:

Can anyone recommend a good immigration lawyer? It has already passed 120 days since my N400 interview. I am thinking of pursuing judicial review in my case. What do you thick the cost will be?

Thanks 

Hello,

Please let me know what will happen with you, I will hit 120 day next week. I don't remember did you get green card or you still waiting for both. 

2 hours ago, bxb9 said:

No just citizenship. Did you try calling? What was the response from them?

Oh man, I almost called at least once a week. they keep saying under review, nothing useful. 

Timeline
On 10/12/2019 at 9:53 PM, Dibang said:

Can we add new cases beyond Beam30? 

I had filed on July 31 and biometrics done Aug 23.

I'm sure there are others in DC-NOVA interested in tracking progress. 

We filed for my wife on May 29th, 2019 for the whole AOS package (I-485, I-130, I-131, etc).  Did biometrics on June 24th. Received RFE on September 30th, responded soon after and USCIS acknowledged response on October 5th and it’s still “in review”.  We live in Arlington, VA. I work for the USG in Virginia so I understand the federal ineptitude at times but USCIS is embarrassing.  The USG agencies are like different companies...so it’s hard to work across agencies unless you’re overseas or in a position that deals with cross agency relationships.

USCIS hasn’t updated the other online forms since May 29th beyond the Case received.  They only do changes on the I-485 form.

We’re waiting on the EAD/AP unless they skip that and go directly to interview.  I’m mostly frustrated that the timelines are all over the place.  You read other parts of the forum and people are processed real quick and it has been insanely frustrating with waiting...

How does their process work?  Is our stuff reviewed in Missouri?  Or is it sent to a local field office for review?

Edited by DWolf

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Guatemala
Timeline
On 10/17/2019 at 10:31 AM, NJL said:

I think this message was destined to @birdword42  who is having their ceremony today ;)

@SONG41 how do you know your ceremony will be in Harrisonburg? It seems to me that the location are somewhat random...I live in Alexandria, yet my ceremony will be in Washington DC (not in court, mind you) while other Alexandria residents have their ceremony in Alexandria.... I should maybe call to double check it is not an error actually ...

I think areas with large populations, like D.C./Northern Virginia, have multiple ceremony location possibilities because there are so many more ceremonies that need to take place because the population is large.  If you live in this large population area, you probably can't guess where your ceremony will be.  But for us, there's pretty much only one place around that does the ceremonies, which is why we basically know where it will be, unless they do a special ceremony at another location, which they maybe do every once in a while.

Met June 2009, Carlos returned to Guatemala in March 2010, engaged May 2011, hardship waiver, denial, three years of separation, second waiver, APPROVED!, finally back in the U.S. in May 2013, married June 2013, permanent resident January 2014, and at long last, a citizenship on October 17, 2019.  Our immigration journey has finally come to an end!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Liberia
Timeline

I am just from my interview got approved instantly and was put inline for oath ceremony. I was given the regular "wait for 6 weeks to receive your notice" but i am sure by this weekend it'l my notice reflect in my account.

Edited by LIB_pekin

1 hour ago, afrocraft said:

Were you able to send the Field Office that letter, certified mail?

Yes its now close to one month, since I sent that letter to the officer but did not got any response. I also did service request more than a month ago, which was not responded as well. I talked to L2 officer but that was no help as well. Per my L2 officer my case is on extended review. I only have some speeding tickets that's it. No travel outside as well. HE just told me to wait because it is still  within normal processing time, which is 15.5 months in DC. I will be calling my congressman tomorrow again to check on my case status. 

I m in same situation, just Chicago field office. 125 days no response. IO told me on interview that my file is lost . When I talked with L2 on the phone they told me they still didn’t find it. Very odd. Filing lawsuit in Chicago is $2500-3000 depends on a lawyer. I ll do that next week . I assume they ll never find my file. 

5 minutes ago, Eskulap said:

I m in same situation, just Chicago field office. 125 days no response. IO told me on interview that my file is lost . When I talked with L2 on the phone they told me they still didn’t find it. Very odd. Filing lawsuit in Chicago is $2500-3000 depends on a lawyer. I ll do that next week . I assume they ll never find my file. 

If you have limited resources, you can sue pro se -- on your own, without a lawyer. You'll need to just pay the district court fees, usually a couple hundred dollars. The reason you may want to do it on the cheap is because the outcome is usually the same: USCIS will usually offer to decide the case in 30-90 days (depending on the reason for the delay) or the court will remand (send) the case back to USCIS to adjudicate, with instructions (usually the same timeline).

This forum describes how to file pro se, and includes language you can use. The main step is going to the US district court in the area you reside in and asking for/downloading guidance on pro se filing. This guidance gives more technical information about suing under what's called the 1447(b) filing.

5 minutes ago, Eskulap said:

Aircraft thank you very much.

Lawyer explained to me if I understood well, that they don’t  actually file lawsuit, they just give Uscis kind On warning that they will sue them if they don’t make decisions and in 100 percent on cases they make it. 

Yeah, and you can do the same without lawyer. You can send what's called a "demand letter" and attach a statement sort of like what you would use to sue. The demand letter says decide the case within, say 30 days, or I'm gonna sue. The forum I linked describes the process, I think.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Liberia
Timeline

I got an update this morning that my Oath ceremony is scheduled and that I should look out in the mail. The document has not updated in my account as of yet. I am certain its going to be November 12 or December 10 but my money is on November 12.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.