Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,146 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

No issues :)

just keep in mind  -  most likely, you will be pulled to the secondary inspection (it's a regular routine when traveling with the stamp).  

So if the first stop in the US is not your final destination , then you should give it more layover time between your flights within US.

God luck and have a safe trip!

Thank you fellow St.Louisian....spasiba

04/28/2016 - Packet reached USCIS (i-130, i-485, i-131, i-765)

05/05/2016 - Checks cashed

05/06/2016 - USCIS Email/Text acceptance confirmation

05/09/2016 - NOA1 hard copy

05/13/2016 - Biometrics letter arrived in mail

05/27/2016 - Biometrics scheduled

07/20/2016 - Submitted Service Request for (I-765); Sent letter to congressman
07/21/2016 - EAD card is being produced
07/21/2016 - AP document is being produced
07/23/2016 - AP documnt received
07/27/2016 - EAD card received

ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE AT PORT OF ENTRY AT DALLAS,TX AIRPORT WITH EXPIRED GREEN CARD AND 18 MONTH EXTENSION LETTER?  USED EXTENSION LETTER AND EXPIRED GREEN CARD LAST MONTH FOR THE FIRST TIME AT PORT OF ENTRY AT ATLANTA AIRPORT-WAS PULLED TO SECONDARY INSPECTION AND FREAKED ME OUT, JUST WANT TO CONFIRM THIS IS ROUTINE NOW BEING PULLED INTO SECONDARY INSPECTION?? WILL BE TRAVELING NEXT MONTH AND WILL BE GOING THROUGH DALLAS PORT OF ENTRY.

Edited by dtown1985

On 6/28/2019 at 1:39 AM, dtown1985 said:

ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE AT PORT OF ENTRY AT DALLAS,TX AIRPORT WITH EXPIRED GREEN CARD AND 18 MONTH EXTENSION LETTER?  USED EXTENSION LETTER AND EXPIRED GREEN CARD LAST MONTH FOR THE FIRST TIME AT PORT OF ENTRY AT ATLANTA AIRPORT-WAS PULLED TO SECONDARY INSPECTION AND FREAKED ME OUT, JUST WANT TO CONFIRM THIS IS ROUTINE NOW BEING PULLED INTO SECONDARY INSPECTION?? WILL BE TRAVELING NEXT MONTH AND WILL BE GOING THROUGH DALLAS PORT OF ENTRY.

I am sorry they made you go to secondary inspection. I travelled to Guam (US Territory) with GC and expired letter one month ago and didn't have to go through secondary. I hope it doesn't happen when I travel back to the continental US.

By what people have been posting here, secondary inspection for of GC+exp. letter is not a standard procedure. I hope you have a better experience next time.

Also, I see you are Mexican. I can understand why you would freak out. Your community is going through a lot of discrimination these days. Receive my thoughts of support.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

My my wife recently flew from Tehran, entered US at LAX with expired green card and extension letter.  No issues at all, no secondary inspection.  Also, her passport has maiden name, vs married name on green card.  

Just traveled from Munich back to Atlanta thru Charlotte, NC airport using my extension letter.  I traveled with my husband and our son. Super quick and easy, immigration officer asked us where we were, for how long and why. That was it. :)  No secondary interview. 

I-130 sent: 28th of October, 2015
USCIS received I-130: 2nd of November, 2015
NOA1 - text message: 4th of November, 2015
CASE routed to Nebraska Service Center
NOA1 - mail: About a week later - not sure about the exact date
NOA2 - 8th of March, 2016

Adjustment of Status

AOS packet sent - 6th of June, 2016
AOS delivered/picked up - 7th of June, 2016

3x NOA1 via e-mail/text - 20JUNE, 2016

3x NOA1 hard copy - 24JUNE, 2016

Biometrics letter - 30JUNE, 2016 (appointment date 07/15/2016)

Biometrics done - 1JULY, 2016

Interview for GC scheduled - 15 August, 2016 (date was 15 September, 2016)

EAD/AP approval - 23 AUGUST, 2016

EAD/AP received - 30 AUGUST, 2016

Interview rescheduled - 13 September, 2016

Interview date - 18 October, 2016

Removal of Conditions 

I-751 packet sent: 13th of September, 2018 (Texas),

Text notification of case received : 20th of September, 2018 (receipt number SRC xxxx]

Biometrics: REUSED, notice 22 MAY, 2019

Case transferred: 25 JULY, 2019

N-400

Applied online: 24 JULY, 2019

NOA: 24 JULY, 2010

Biometrics: Appointment scheduled on 8/3/2019 for 22 AUGUST, 2019

Biometrics: successful WALK IN on 8 AUGUST, 2019 (Jacksonville, FL) 

Biometrics: "We reviewed your biometrics" update 8 AUGUST, 2019 

Estimated time of completion: November 2019 (3 months)

My Green Card finally arrived in June. Filed May 2018, had a 12 month letter then an 18 month extension letter so it took 13 months and the 18 month letter was enough. Glad I can travel more freely. If you’re coming to the end of 18 month letter then my lawyer suggested getting the infopass stamp in your passport to travel. They may take your card and extension letter but if it’s about to expire then it doesn’t matter. 

Overall i I only travelled abroad once with my letter, after a few brief secondary questions I was let through. Just be cool and tell the truth. I was asked my I looked nervous. It was New Year’s Day and I was honest, I said I was hungover to , and that got a chuckle.

Good luck everyone 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Expired GC and extension letter combination can avoid secondary inspection ( 7 times in without secondary) and that was my experience, but when came back via JFK with I-551, I had to go to secondary. so that they can verify their own stamp.  Did not have any issue overseas.      

Edited by dilip

Hi, I'm about to travel aboard in a couple days. Can anyone who travelled recently please confirmed that the expired green card and extension letter should be sufficient enough to return? Do I need to make some copies of the extension letters as well? Thanks in advance!

N400

11.06.2019...........Application Submitted Online
11.16.2019............Receive Biometrics Letter in mail
11.29.2019............Biometrics done
08.17.2020............Interview Scheduled

09.21.2020............Interview, approved

09.22.2020............Oath Ceremony

12 minutes ago, Valor said:

Hi, I'm about to travel aboard in a couple days. Can anyone who travelled recently please confirmed that the expired green card and extension letter should be sufficient enough to return? Do I need to make some copies of the extension letters as well? Thanks in advance!

Just got back last saturday. Yes, GC and extension letter is all you need. I always recommend making copies just in case, God forbid, you lose your original. 

I-130 sent: 28th of October, 2015
USCIS received I-130: 2nd of November, 2015
NOA1 - text message: 4th of November, 2015
CASE routed to Nebraska Service Center
NOA1 - mail: About a week later - not sure about the exact date
NOA2 - 8th of March, 2016

Adjustment of Status

AOS packet sent - 6th of June, 2016
AOS delivered/picked up - 7th of June, 2016

3x NOA1 via e-mail/text - 20JUNE, 2016

3x NOA1 hard copy - 24JUNE, 2016

Biometrics letter - 30JUNE, 2016 (appointment date 07/15/2016)

Biometrics done - 1JULY, 2016

Interview for GC scheduled - 15 August, 2016 (date was 15 September, 2016)

EAD/AP approval - 23 AUGUST, 2016

EAD/AP received - 30 AUGUST, 2016

Interview rescheduled - 13 September, 2016

Interview date - 18 October, 2016

Removal of Conditions 

I-751 packet sent: 13th of September, 2018 (Texas),

Text notification of case received : 20th of September, 2018 (receipt number SRC xxxx]

Biometrics: REUSED, notice 22 MAY, 2019

Case transferred: 25 JULY, 2019

N-400

Applied online: 24 JULY, 2019

NOA: 24 JULY, 2010

Biometrics: Appointment scheduled on 8/3/2019 for 22 AUGUST, 2019

Biometrics: successful WALK IN on 8 AUGUST, 2019 (Jacksonville, FL) 

Biometrics: "We reviewed your biometrics" update 8 AUGUST, 2019 

Estimated time of completion: November 2019 (3 months)

5 minutes ago, Miki28 said:

Just got back last saturday. Yes, GC and extension letter is all you need. I always recommend making copies just in case, God forbid, you lose your original. 

Thank you!

N400

11.06.2019...........Application Submitted Online
11.16.2019............Receive Biometrics Letter in mail
11.29.2019............Biometrics done
08.17.2020............Interview Scheduled

09.21.2020............Interview, approved

09.22.2020............Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm sorry if this has been answered a million times but from the receipt of the extension letter, about how far out is the interview usually at this time or is it that some just got the 10 year without a need for another interview? 

Edited by intenz888

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 7/10/2019 at 7:52 PM, Miki28 said:

Make sure to take care of GC or passport and not to lose GC or passport while traveling.  Life will be difficult

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 4/26/2017 at 9:54 AM, Derwood said:

There have been quite a few posts recently regarding traveling on an expired GC with the one year extension letter.

Page 38 of this document provides some reassurance:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Carrier Information Guide- English.pdf

It also makes clear that the 12 month extension is from the card expiry date, not the receipt date of the I-797.

DEAD LINK !!!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

DEAD LINK !!!

here is an updated one

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

deleted.

Edited by Pitaya (火龙果)
deleted

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.