DrEllaNJ

is it legal to ask for Alien registration number in job application?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Will_and_Tu said:

Probably.

But if you also distrust a potential employer to the degree that you aren't even comfortable filling out their applications, I'd reevaluate the act of applying altogether. And if you do enter something like that to get past a mandatory field, chances are it's going to result in your application being discarded during the initial review, in which case you (again) might as well just skip applying to that institution in the first place.

From my experience between Canada and the USA Americans are incredibly protective of their SSN.  Once it's out there, it's out there.  I've even heard of spouses not sharing their SSN. 

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

I know this information was required when I offered the position but never on an application, with me signing a form giving them permission to run it.

My Journey

Priority Date: July 24, 2007 (EAC)

AOS fee paid: February 2013

Request embassy change: May 2013

Son born: September 2013 (added to petition March 2014)

Interview: March 17, 2015 (Joint sponsor needed)

Joint sponsor documents submitted: April 27, 2015

Visas approved and issued: April 30, 2015. Had to return to embassy to do oath for son :)

Visa in hand: May 5, 2015 (two working days after issued)

IV fees paid: August 10, 2015

POE: JFK - September 10, 2015 (one day before visa expiry date - No hassle)

Returned to Barbados: September 28, 2015

Green cards: October 5, 2015 :dancing:

Entered US permanently: March 22, 2016

Applied for SSNs: March 28, 2016 (didn't tick box on DS-260)

SSN received: April 4, 2016;

Learner's permit: April 7, 2016 (in NY you also have to do 5-hour class);

Driver's License: July 13, 2016 (on first try) :dancing:

Husband's Journey (F2A)

Married: September 2015

I-130 sent: October 8, 2015 (via USPS)

Priority date: October 9, 2015 (WAC)

Petition approved: March 8, 2016 (5 months to the date of receipt) :)

NVC Welcome Letter: May 13, 2016
AOS documents sent: August 8, 2016
Case complete: September 14, 2016 (the waiting continues
:clock:).

Interview:  October 5, 2017 (Approved - Issued following day :))

Visa in hand:  October 12, 2017

POE:  October 13, 2017

Green card:

SSN:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

A # is using used to check your immigration status.

There's nothing illegal about it. Actually, if an employer hires an illegal immigrant and is caught, they get fined.

So if the employer wants to be safe by asking for the information to verify first, that's within their right.

You have right to not disclose it and they have right to not hire you.

You can ask the employer why they need that information.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The only time I have been asked  for that number other than during an immigration process was when I tried to sign up for Obamacare.

Call the company and find out why they need that information and if they will be willing to accept alternatives.

Since apparently, they cannot ask for that information.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

6 hours ago, DrEllaNJ said:

hi all, I'm working on a job application through an online system for a big employer. The standard form asks whether the applicant is eligible to work in the US, which I've seen countless times before. Then it also asks for A-registration number. I have a GC so I have this number, but I feel uncomfortable giving it out. Is it even legal to ask for this information? Mind you, it's just an application, I haven't even gotten an interview yet.

I don't want to have my app rejected outright, but I'm also reluctant to give out such personal numbers that go to who knows what people. You'd never see an application that asks for your SSN, either. Thoughts?

Call them, eligibility to work in the USA is a key requirement especially after the 20th ..... a good HR manager will understand 

Asking for an SSN is pretty common on applications nowadays. It is a legal practice (https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-qa/pages/socialsecuritynumber.aspx). I'm *guessing* the same goes for an alien registration number. You don't have to provide it until further along in the process, but an employer doesn't have to consider your application without it either. They are NOT permitted to check your status before an employment offer, but are free (and in some areas required) to do so before hiring you. These numbers can also be used to run credit checks, which are permitted and not uncommon anymore either.

You can try to call them and work through it with a real person on the phone. But nothing I've read here is illegal. I know you don't want your number out there to who-knows-who. I don't want mine that way either. But assuming that risk is just a part of the current working environment. Personally, I'd like to see that change (along with removing credit checks since they aren't effective), but what i want doesn't dictate what others must do.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
8 hours ago, DrEllaNJ said:

hi all, I'm working on a job application through an online system for a big employer. The standard form asks whether the applicant is eligible to work in the US, which I've seen countless times before. Then it also asks for A-registration number. I have a GC so I have this number, but I feel uncomfortable giving it out. Is it even legal to ask for this information? Mind you, it's just an application, I haven't even gotten an interview yet.

I don't want to have my app rejected outright, but I'm also reluctant to give out such personal numbers that go to who knows what people. You'd never see an application that asks for your SSN, either. Thoughts?

Employers are required to have an I-9 on file, which would ask if you're an alien authorized to work and require either your Alien Registration number, Form I-94 Admission number, or Foreign Passport number. 

They ask for it to determine if you're even eligible to work in the country before they waste time and resources on the interview process.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Timeline
34 minutes ago, Avery Cates said:

Employers are required to have an I-9 on file, which would ask if you're an alien authorized to work and require either your Alien Registration number, Form I-94 Admission number, or Foreign Passport number. 

They ask for it to determine if you're even eligible to work in the country before they waste time and resources on the interview process.

I'm not sure how many times I have to write the same thing, but again this is incorrect. An I-9 is required to be on file for employees, sure, but again you are not required to fill in an I-9 form until you are offered employment. An employer is not permitted to verify your employment status until you fill in an I-9 form which, again, you are not required to do (in fact, not permitted to do, according to the form instructions) until offered a job.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Part of my job is recruitment. We ask for proof of eligibility to work in the US, so we don't waste time and resources on people who are not even allowed to work here. But that's at the offer phase. At the interview, we just ask if people are eligible to work in the US. During the actual application phase, we don't ask for any of that. 

The information is kept confidential and only people with a need to see the information will see it, e.g the people who will run e-verify and who will file the paperwork. I mean it's HR we're talking about, they have access to a lot more personal data than someone's alien number. 

Edited by mallafri76

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Here are some Q&A from the USCIS website regarding employee rights and i-9.

How far in advance can the Form I-9 be completed?Expand

Form I-9 may be completed as soon as the employer has offered the individual a job and the individual has accepted the offer. Each newly hired employee must complete and sign Section 1 of Form I-9 no later than his or her first day of employment.

If an employee writes down an Alien Number or Admission Number when completing Section 1 of Form I-9, may I ask to see a document with that number?Expand

No. Although it is your responsibility as an employer to ensure that your employees fully complete Section 1 by the time employment begins, the employee is not required to present a document to complete this section. When you complete Section 2, you may not ask to see a document with the employee?s Alien Number or Admission Number or otherwise specify which document(s) an employee may present. To do so may violate the anti-discrimination provision of the INA.

Can I avoid reverifying an employee on Form I-9 by not hiring persons whose employment authorization has an expiration date?Expand

No. You cannot refuse to hire persons solely because their employment authorization is temporary. The existence of a future expiration date does not preclude continuous employment authorization for an employee and does not mean that subsequent employment authorization will not be granted. In addition, consideration of a future employment authorization expiration date in determining whether an individual is qualified for a particular job may be an unfair immigration-related employment practice in violation of the anti-discrimination provision of the INA.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/questions-and-answers

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You will only have to reveal your A# once you have been offered the job and you will supply them the originals for them to copy of: your  GC (Green Card), Passport and/or drivers license and SSN.; They will have you fill out an I-9 and then they will photocopy these docs then give them immediately back to you This is common and if you get to this point you should be happy they are requesting this stuff as it means you have a job. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

On 2/2/2017 at 4:10 PM, Suss&Camm said:

Here are some Q&A from the USCIS website regarding employee rights and i-9.

How far in advance can the Form I-9 be completed?Expand

Form I-9 may be completed as soon as the employer has offered the individual a job and the individual has accepted the offer. Each newly hired employee must complete and sign Section 1 of Form I-9 no later than his or her first day of employment.

If an employee writes down an Alien Number or Admission Number when completing Section 1 of Form I-9, may I ask to see a document with that number?Expand

No. Although it is your responsibility as an employer to ensure that your employees fully complete Section 1 by the time employment begins, the employee is not required to present a document to complete this section. When you complete Section 2, you may not ask to see a document with the employee?s Alien Number or Admission Number or otherwise specify which document(s) an employee may present. To do so may violate the anti-discrimination provision of the INA.

Can I avoid reverifying an employee on Form I-9 by not hiring persons whose employment authorization has an expiration date?Expand

No. You cannot refuse to hire persons solely because their employment authorization is temporary. The existence of a future expiration date does not preclude continuous employment authorization for an employee and does not mean that subsequent employment authorization will not be granted. In addition, consideration of a future employment authorization expiration date in determining whether an individual is qualified for a particular job may be an unfair immigration-related employment practice in violation of the anti-discrimination provision of the INA.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/questions-and-answers

Regarding your second part- The rules may say that however given that you (they) were just offered a job I would suggest handing over any documents you have to establish your identity and employ ability. If its a credible employer no harm will come from revealing your GC (A#), SSN and drivers license etc. I would not suggest under any circumstances giving your new employer any resistance or showing any avoidance in handing over these documents. Just a word to the wise. 

1 hour ago, jakartausa said:

Regarding your second part- The rules may say that however given that you (they) were just offered a job I would suggest handing over any documents you have to establish your identity and employ ability. If its a credible employer no harm will come from revealing your GC (A#), SSN and drivers license etc. I would not suggest under any circumstances giving your new employer any resistance or showing any avoidance in handing over these documents. Just a word to the wise. 

The point of the law is that the employee is allowed to choose which document they want to present, they can write their A-number on the form (in which case the employer can run that number through USCIS anyhow to match the name and status) but they are not allowed to specify which document the employee should present. That's all. They still get all the info they need to run their check so there is no point in requiring the specific document.

An employer that doesn't know the law to begin with I'd be hesitant to even work for - if they then (at this point an offer has been given) proceed to give the future employee trouble and don't accept the law, withdrawing a job offer during those circumstances is illegal and can really get them in trouble, further, I would not want such an employer since that doesn't indicate good things for the future and how they handle employees and their rights. 

The OP however (although I'm sure they have already solved this since the thread is from January) was asked

for the A-number already at the application screening stage, which I find very very odd...

If someone is ready to be treated like junk in the workplace I suggest doing as you say. There are enough employers out their that don't break the laws. There's no need to promote the ones that do.

Edited by Suss&Camm

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Suss&Camm said:

The point of the law is that the employee is allowed to choose which document they want to present, they can write their A-number on the form (in which case the employer can run that number through USCIS anyhow to match the name and status) but they are not allowed to specify which document the employee should present. That's all. They still get all the info they need to run their check so there is no point in requiring the specific document.

An employer that doesn't know the law to begin with I'd be hesitant to even work for - if they then (at this point an offer has been given) proceed to give the future employee trouble and don't accept the law, withdrawing a job offer during those circumstances is illegal and can really get them in trouble, further, I would not want such an employer since that doesn't indicate good things for the future and how they handle employees and their rights. T

he OP however (although I'm sure they have already solved this since the thread is from January) was asked for the A-number already at the application screening stage, which I find very very odd...

If someone is ready to be treated like junk in the workplace I suggest doing as you say. There are enough employers out their that don't break the laws. There's no need to promote the ones that do.

Exactly, if you can't stand up for yourself and fill a form the way you want... Going to be a joyful work place for sure.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.