27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

In a desperate attempt to get my husband here with me as fast as possible, I filed for both the I-130 and the I-129F (K-3) visas in the hopes the latter would get approved in the 2-3 month waiting period "advertised", only to find out later that this process is basically obsolete (and sometimes causes the WHOLE thing to move slower). But this still leaves the awful issue of continuing to be separated from my life-partner.

I have to stay here for my job and I've read that an immigrant married to a USC trying to get into America on a tourist visa can get barred even if (or sometimes especially because) they have an I-130 petition processing. We actually tried the route first; we originally couldn't file for a K-1 visa because by the time it would be processed and accepted, we would no longer be engaged but married. We couldn't file for the I-130 (or apparently-obsolete-K3) because at the time of filing we wouldn't be married yet. So we were vaguely advised by USCIS and our Consulate (Nepal) to shoot for a tourist visa, which we were flatly denied and then advised by the officer to not try for again.

Was there anything different I could've done to make this process go faster? Is there something I'm missing? Are we just going to have to wait and sit through the half-a-year to maybe OVER a year waiting process until we can be together? I feel like I tried everything -- other than a lawyer, because along with trying to actually get to Nepal to perform our civil and cultural wedding ceremonies and afford the NEPALI lawyer in order to get our marriage certificate expedited, I really couldn't and can't afford one. We just want to be together and start our lives, like any other young married couple.

Can anyone give me some sort of estimate of the soonest we may be able to (legally) reunite in person? Is there ANY chance they may actually go down the faster K3 visa route? I know since last year there's about a 2% chance, I wish I knew what variables allowed it to happen. I just feel kind of hopeless now, we just married -- it seems like such a long time to wait.

It's unfortunate but long waits are part of the process. Everybody has to go through it. For spousal visas it is usually a year.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

expect a year to 16 months.

Thank you for your speedy response! Would it be okay if I asked you to elaborate on the basis of your answer? Is this through your own personal experience or are there certain variables that you've picked out in my story that have given you the indication it will take that long?

Thank you!

--Mel

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for your speedy response! Would it be okay if I asked you to elaborate on the basis of your answer? Is this through your own personal experience or are there certain variables that you've picked out in my story that have given you the indication it will take that long?

Thank you!

--Mel

average VJ timelines. take a look at stories of others and filing lines. a lawyer doesn't speed up but will sometimes slow down

Timeline

average VJ timelines. take a look at stories of others and filing lines. a lawyer doesn't speed up but will sometimes slow down

Gotcha. Yeah, I've noticed the average -- though it's hard to tell what the average will be in the next six months itself. Still, it's a viable answer, thank you for your insight. :)

--Mel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It takes just over a year from going to interview on average; not your case specifically, just average. Yours may go a bit faster or a bit slower, but that is what you should plan for. There is a tiny chance you may get the K3- about 0.1% of cases still get through- but it would save you a month at the most, and it means more expenses and paperwork once he gets to the USA.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

It's unfortunate but long waits are part of the process. Everybody has to go through it. For spousal visas it is usually a year.

I understand, thank you. Except that's not always true, not EVERYBODY has to go through as long as that process, though the majority of people seem to. Does anyone know what differences allow those lucky few to get through it that much faster -- or to actually get the K3? Because people DID receive a K3 last year, does anyone know why?

--Mel

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

The only thing you can do to keep your process from being any slower than usual is making sure you have all paperwork in order, filled out correctly, and have everything you need. What delays most cases are missing paperwork, RFE's for mistakes, and things of that sort. Other than that, it's a waiting process. That's just part of it. Good Luck!

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Timeline

I understand, thank you. Except that's not always true, not EVERYBODY has to go through as long as that process, though the majority of people seem to. Does anyone know what differences allow those lucky few to get through it that much faster -- or to actually get the K3? Because people DID receive a K3 last year, does anyone know why?

--Mel

k3s are rare and few and far between. I'm uncertain why they're granted. it just depends on case load, evidence, etc, there's no magic formula

Timeline

It takes just over a year from going to interview on average; not your case specifically, just average. Yours may go a bit faster or a bit slower, but that is what you should plan for. There is a tiny chance you may get the K3- about 0.1% of cases still get through- but it would save you a month at the most, and it means more expenses and paperwork once he gets to the USA.

Neither of us are very patient, haha! And would be willing to have extra expenditures and paperwork if it means an extra month. Every day feels like a loss. That may sound melodramatic, that's probably because it is a little. Is there anyone or anyplace I could go to that could give a good estimate based on my particular case so I could know whether it'll go faster or slower? Because, in either case, I can prepare better -- should it go faster, WOOHOO! Should it go slower, I can put my funds into another visit to Nepal so we can spend time together in the interim. I don't want to save up to visit if I'm going to have to spend $$$ shortly after for everything else if the case processes more quickly.

The only thing you can do to keep your process from being any slower than usual is making sure you have all paperwork in order, filled out correctly, and have everything you need. What delays most cases are missing paperwork, RFE's for mistakes, and things of that sort. Other than that, it's a waiting process. That's just part of it. Good Luck!

Thank you so much! :)(L)

k3s are rare and few and far between. I'm uncertain why they're granted. it just depends on case load, evidence, etc, there's no magic formula

Well, there are a lot of things that are rare and few and far between (like international couples for example maybe :P). I understand it's unlikely -- but, what do you mean it depends on case load and evidence? It's okay if you can't explain exactly, but I suppose I'm just trying to figure out what our own chances are, without expecting rare but also without tossing it out. I understand there's no magical formula -- I just don't want to wait for my significant other, haha, as no one does.

Thank you again for all of your responses!! (F)(L):luv:

--Mel

Timeline

Neither of us are very patient, haha! And would be willing to have extra expenditures and paperwork if it means an extra month. Every day feels like a loss. That may sound melodramatic, that's probably because it is a little. Is there anyone or anyplace I could go to that could give a good estimate based on my particular case so I could know whether it'll go faster or slower? Because, in either case, I can prepare better -- should it go faster, WOOHOO! Should it go slower, I can put my funds into another visit to Nepal so we can spend time together in the interim. I don't want to save up to visit if I'm going to have to spend $$$ shortly after for everything else if the case processes more quickly.

Thank you so much! :)(L)

Well, there are a lot of things that are rare and few and far between (like international couples for example maybe :P). I understand it's unlikely -- but, what do you mean it depends on case load and evidence? It's okay if you can't explain exactly, but I suppose I'm just trying to figure out what our own chances are, without expecting rare but also without tossing it out. I understand there's no magical formula -- I just don't want to wait for my significant other, haha, as no one does.

Thank you again for all of your responses!! (F)(L):luv:

--Mel

I really don't have an answer for that I'm afraid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

There isn't anywhere that can tell you about your case and how long it will take; some of it will depend on your case, how good and convincing your evidence is, and part of it, rankly, is pure luck- where in a big pile of cases your file is, whether the case worker assigned yours is fast or not. Once you get NOA 2 and get to NVC stage, you will have a more concrete idea of how long the rest of your Visajourney will take, based on USCIS figures and stats from this website. Prepare for 14-16 months, be pleasantly surprised if it takes less.

As others have said, the one thing you can do to help this along is to be prepared; make sure your paperwork is in order, read up here on your embassy and what sort of things they are picky on etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

I really don't have an answer for that I'm afraid

It's okay -- totally understand. Thank you anyway! :D

There isn't anywhere that can tell you about your case and how long it will take; some of it will depend on your case, how good and convincing your evidence is, and part of it, frankly, is pure luck- where in a big pile of cases your file is, whether the case worker assigned yours is fast or not. Once you get NOA 2 and get to NVC stage, you will have a more concrete idea of how long the rest of your Visajourney will take, based on USCIS figures and stats from this website. Prepare for 14-16 months, be pleasantly surprised if it takes less.

As others have said, the one thing you can do to help this along is to be prepared; make sure your paperwork is in order, read up here on your embassy and what sort of things they are picky on etc.

Lots of luck and being prepared can be equally disheartening and hopeful variables that can affect the visajourney time. Thank you for your advice. :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Also, certain embassies just have a longer wait time to interview. I am not sure how fast they are scheduled in Nepal, although I have never heard of them being slow.

You can always go visit your husband during the waiting period. As another poster above said, the best way to make the process as speedy as possible is have all of your paperwork complete and correct to send in as soon as it is required. Although some delays are caused by USCIS/NVC/USEM and are therefore unavoidable, many many delays are caused by incomplete paperwork.

CR1 process has been expected to take around a year (or a little more) for as along as I have been around this site, so for a few years at least.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.