Delmark

Canadians in US for more than 6 months

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I am a Canadian and I understand that Canadians can stay in US for 6 months in 12 months period without visa. I am interested in living in Minneapolis for 2 years with my 3 year old daughter for Autism treatment. My husband will stay back in canada and pursue his job. We own house in Canada and have family as well.

What do I need to do in order to be able to stay in US for 2 years for treatment.

Any experience, guidance is appreciated.

You won't be able to be in the US for 2 years under the circumstances you describe.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Be careful, provincial health care will only cover you if you are a resident, being out of Canada for 2 years - you will cease to be a resident and you may lose your provincial health care. On top of that, how will you pay the medical bills in the U.S.?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I am planning to buy insurance in US.

If I show the insurance to cover the bills and letter from the institute providing the treatment, would that not be enough?

Should I contact the embassy and get approval (of course by showing all the docs I mentioned above) before moving even for first 6 months.

Don't people go to US for medical treatments?

I'd stay in Canada. Autism care in the US is incredibly expensive and some of the best treatments, such as ABA therapy are NOT covered by insurance. While there are some places that do amazing jobs at various autism treatments, the US is considered very behind when it comes to both affordability and accessibility for these treatments. Some people wait more than a year JUST for the autism diagnosis.

My daughter has autism as well, She's 8 years old with the communication skills of a 3-4 year old. When she was 5, she had almost no speech other than scripts and behavior wise was pretty awful. Dealing with the insurance companies has almost been more of a hassle than raising a child with autism.

Right now, I'm waiting on insurance to get a paper from my daughters doctor showing that she passed a hearing test 3 years ago so she can continue speech therapy, which mind you, she started AFTER the said hearing test showed her hearing was fine. Insurance had her take the hearing test 3 years ago just to get speech services, now they need proof they did that years ago to continue services. lol.

But as others said, once you move to the US you and your daughter will no longer be covered by Canadian insurance. Generally they also will not cover anything they CAN provide, and they can provide treatments for autism. Whether it's the treatment you want, doesn't matter too much to them.

I would look into more options in Canada, be it in your province or not. As an American I would love to take advantage of Canadian services for my daughter.

If you do plan on coming to .. live here. You can't really do it on the visitors visa. Just because Canada is so close to America doesn't mean Canadians don't get denied. You don't want to come here, file extensions and then them realize that you're living here and deny you.

Also, do you really only plan on staying for 2 years? It's better for the family for autism therapy to be continuous with the provider. Splitting up the family and having one provider for 2 years, then coming back together as a family and having another provider for who knows how long can actually back track any progression your child is making.

Insurance for Autism care is NOT easy and it's NOT cheap. You need to make sure you can even do this before coming in here. I do not believe you can buy insurance from the market place on a visitor visa. You would have to use travel insurance, but I don't think you'll get travel insurance either because of the circumstances.

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/tips-and-advice/travel-safety-tips/visiting-united-states/

Further, foreign visitors on short-term visas as tourists, i.e., not students or temporary foreign workers, do not have access to buy their own health insurance from the healthcare marketplaces.

You need to do a LOT of research, as this can get INCREDIBLY expensive.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

I am planning to buy insurance in US.

If I show the insurance to cover the bills and letter from the institute providing the treatment, would that not be enough?

Should I contact the embassy and get approval (of course by showing all the docs I mentioned above) before moving even for first 6 months.

Don't people go to US for medical treatments?

People do, but they usually come from countries that CAN'T provide the medical treatment needed.

http://www.***removed***/visitor-visa/visitor-visa-usa-medical-treatment.html

tKR6zzO.png

JzfrM9S.png

Also, most insurances will NOT cover all of what you're asking, even if you could just buy insurance here, which you won't be able too.

Edited by Ash.1101

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Like posted above, there is no insurance company that will cover pre-existing conditions for a non-USC. And if you come to the US for an extended period of time you will lose your eligibility for Canadian health care, which could end up hurting you & your child in the long run if you decide to return to Canada and you or he needs healthcare. Better off to stay in Canada and get treatment there rather than split up your family, cost yourself a ton of money and put your future healthcare in jeopardy. Canada's healthcare is just as good if not better in some areas than the US.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What Insurer is going to provide Travel Insurance for a known event? And as I expected and others have confirmed the Canadian system will not pay for it.

Unless you have the money to fund treatment everything else is moot.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'm not sure if this is offered around other parts of the US or in Canadian schools, but does the local school district offer Early Learning education for preschool aged children in your area?

I only mention this because my 3 year old son is attending all day preschool that offers speech, occupation, and etc. We won't be getting a final diagnosis for our son until later this year from his psychologist, but the school's evaluation team said he met certain criteria to qualify for the service.

OP, I feel for you and wish you the best in finding the right support group/organization that can better assist you and your daughter.

I'm not sure if this is offered around other parts of the US or in Canadian schools, but does the local school district offer Early Learning education for preschool aged children in your area?

I only mention this because my 3 year old son is attending all day preschool that offers speech, occupation, and etc. We won't be getting a final diagnosis for our son until later this year from his psychologist, but the school's evaluation team said he met certain criteria to qualify for the service.

OP, I feel for you and wish you the best in finding the right support group/organization that can better assist you and your daughter.

Agreeing!

Here at least, they do offer a special needs pre-school class at our local school district. They start at three, and will do a basic test to see if there are any delays of any kind. In my daughters case, it was prior to her autism diagnosis, so she was labeled as having a noncategorical speech delay, that allowed her to join the special needs pre-school program for a year and a half before pre-k. She's in 2nd grade now and has about a 50/50 day. 50% in the special education, 50% in the regular class. Unless she's having a bad day then it could differ.

But check out the school systems! No harm in inquiries.

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Thank you guys.

No, the diagnosis is not new and there isn't anything that we have not inquired about locally, in the province and outside as well.

My daughter is taking ABA therapies and will be going to special pre-school next year but it's not just the progress I want. It's unfortunate that money and borders can restrict the best of care sometimes.

@Ash.1101& Umka 36 - I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.