DJ Shane

USCIS has requested a I693 form from me. Does this mean I have to do another medical here in the US?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I have been contacted by USCIS & as such have to complete the I693 form.

I checked my medical records from the US board approved list which included a doctor where I did my medical in South Africa so as to complete my medical before my interview in South Africa as per instructions.

I contacted this doctor to complete the I693 form for me as the requirements of the form are IDENTICAL to the test that I have just completed in South Africa with them although they have written back to say that I need to do the medical once AGAIN in the USA?

I still have my reports & medical vaccination records. Do I need to go and do another entire medical or is my doctor mistaken?

Please let me know of your experiences - as I am sure you are all aware these medicals are very costly & if possible I would like to try and avoid paying for something that I have already paid for...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Can you tell us the exact wording of your RFE? Sometimes uscis requests the entire medical again and sometimes just the vaccination supplement. We can help you figure out what you need to do if you copy the exact wording for us.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Fam.-based AOS Process Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum, past K1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Can you tell us the exact wording of your RFE? Sometimes uscis requests the entire medical again and sometimes just the vaccination supplement. We can help you figure out what you need to do if you copy the exact wording for us.

Im reading this in the instructions which apply to me since i have arrived on a K1 visa and no class A medical conditions found.

"What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical examination overseas? If you were admitted as

A: K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or

B: K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and

C: You received a medical examination prior to admission, then: You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination, and:

C. (1) (a) The panel physician did find a class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility, and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver.

(b) The panel physician did not find a class A medical condition during your overseas examination;

This comes from this webpage including these instructions on page 6 section 3:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-693instr.pdf

Wooderz please let me know what you think as I have read these instructios previously and been contradicted by USCIS instructions on what I have been asked to do...

OP: You need to state exactly what the RFE says.

Yes I know the I-693 instructions state you are not supposed to have another medical, however as it happens numerous times the USCIS often doesn't care about their own instructions because the officer reviewing your case may not have a clue about them.

Is it specifically asking for a full I-693 or is it asking for an I-693 vaccination sheet? In the first case, you'll need to redo the medical again. In the second, you'd just need the US CS to sign off on the vaccination portion (there's instructions for this in the I-693).

Thirdly, it may be that they don't feel your previous form was complete enough to pass. Was it missing a tickbox? Did you actually have all your shots and did the doctor fill the form out correctly?

Lastly, it may be a case that they have lost your medical entirely. The foreign panel CS cannot assist you in this manner. Once you are stateside, if the I-693 is actually what the USCIS is wanting from you, you'll have to obtain it stateside.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Im reading this in the instructions which apply to me since i have arrived on a K1 visa and no class A medical conditions found.

"What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical examination overseas? If you were admitted as

A: K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or

B: K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and

C: You received a medical examination prior to admission, then: You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination, and:

C. (1) (a) The panel physician did find a class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility, and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver.

(b) The panel physician did not find a class A medical condition during your overseas examination;

This comes from this webpage including these instructions on page 6 section 3:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-693instr.pdf

Wooderz please let me know what you think as I have read these instructios previously and been contradicted by USCIS instructions on what I have been asked to do...

Excuse me. By RFE you probably mean the letter I had received instructing me to do all of this:

It reads as follows:

Notice to Applicant:

An initial review of evidence submitted with your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status determined that Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination & Vaccination Record, has not been submitted or has been submitted and is not sufficient for the following reasons:

A completed and signed I-693 was not submitted.

You will be required to submit a valid, completed, and signed Form I-693 at a later date. Please follow these instructions:

- If you receive an interview notice in the mail, you must bring your updated form I-693 to your interview appointment.

- If your case does not require an interview, you will receive a Request for Evidence for for I-693.

DO NOT MAIL DOCUMENTS AT THIS TIME. Mailing documents before receiving one of the notices referenced above may result in a delay of your case.

And then it ends with the usual:

If you have any questions about immigration procedures etc call the NCSC -

when I call they basically tell me they can not explain anything to you at all because they dont know the particulars of my case even after giving them the receipt numbers and explaining everything and reading them this notice they still say that.

Timeline

OP: You need to state exactly what the RFE says.

Yes I know the I-693 instructions state you are not supposed to have another medical, however as it happens numerous times the USCIS often doesn't care about their own instructions because the officer reviewing your case may not have a clue about them.

Is it specifically asking for a full I-693 or is it asking for an I-693 vaccination sheet? In the first case, you'll need to redo the medical again. In the second, you'd just need the US CS to sign off on the vaccination portion (there's instructions for this in the I-693).

Thirdly, it may be that they don't feel your previous form was complete enough to pass. Was it missing a tickbox? Did you actually have all your shots and did the doctor fill the form out correctly?

Lastly, it may be a case that they have lost your medical entirely. The foreign panel CS cannot assist you in this manner. Once you are stateside, if the I-693 is actually what the USCIS is wanting from you, you'll have to obtain it stateside.

I had all of my shots and cleared my medical with no conditions. I have a form from my doctor which they gave me a photo copy of although I'm not sure this is all they are requiring on the I693 as there is no section that seems to exempt me from taking all of the physical again.

They requested a I693 as I did not submit one in the first place as per instructions received in the mail ad confirmed on the USCIS call line. They expressly told me that if the paperwork does not request these documents then "they dont need it" and then weeks later to be told I was supposed to send it in that package but that I didnt and that I should now bring it to the interview.

As you mentioned in your statement above they USCIS often contradict their own instructions which is where my confusing is stemming from...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It sounds to me like maybe they lost your K1 medical. I don't have experience with that type of letter. Usually they come in the form of a request for evidence that clearly instructs you on how and when to send the stuff back. Maybe others do and can chime in.

You are correct that your K1 medical counts for AOS, but if they lost it, they're gonna make you do it again.

Do you have an interview date scheduled already?

Tip I've learned from others, when you complete the new medical, call your local county health department. Lots of people are able to complete the i693 there and for much cheaper than a private doctors office.

I had all of my shots and cleared my medical with no conditions. I have a form from my doctor which they gave me a photo copy of although I'm not sure this is all they are requiring on the I693 as there is no section that seems to exempt me from taking all of the physical again.

They requested a I693 as I did not submit one in the first place as per instructions received in the mail ad confirmed on the USCIS call line. They expressly told me that if the paperwork does not request these documents then "they dont need it" and then weeks later to be told I was supposed to send it in that package but that I didnt and that I should now bring it to the interview.

As you mentioned in your statement above they USCIS often contradict their own instructions which is where my confusing is stemming from...

It is unfortunate, but there are officers who simply don't know about K1s enough and the rules covering them. There are many K1s that are asked for the form in an RFE, because either the officer misunderstands the rules, they lost your original file, or something about the original file bothers them (like a tickbox being unchecked). Did you send a copy of your DS3025 with your AOS package? Based on the letter wording, it suggests that they lost your medical outright and aren't going to bother too hard with looking for it...

In our case for example, we sent in the copy of our DS3025 as part of our AOS package, and also understood the rules regarding a K1 not being required to have a new medical. Thankfully the officer reviewing our case understood that we did NOT need a full medical, but for whatever reason refused to sign off on the DS3025, and still required us to go get a I-693 vaccination supplement portion only.

The USCIS won't help you out on this, and if anything, gives out bad information. All you can do is follow the instructions in the notice you've been given, and try and find a CS that will comply at an affordable price.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

It is unfortunate, but there are officers who simply don't know about K1s enough and the rules covering them. There are many K1s that are asked for the form in an RFE, because either the officer misunderstands the rules, they lost your original file, or something about the original file bothers them (like a tickbox being unchecked). Did you send a copy of your DS3025 with your AOS package? Based on the letter wording, it suggests that they lost your medical outright and aren't going to bother too hard with looking for it...

In our case for example, we sent in the copy of our DS3025 as part of our AOS package, and also understood the rules regarding a K1 not being required to have a new medical. Thankfully the officer reviewing our case understood that we did NOT need a full medical, but for whatever reason refused to sign off on the DS3025, and still required us to go get a I-693 vaccination supplement portion only.

The USCIS won't help you out on this, and if anything, gives out bad information. All you can do is follow the instructions in the notice you've been given, and try and find a CS that will comply at an affordable price.

Thank you Yuna628,

this is what i thought as well. Basically that the interviewing consulate in South Africa did not send anything through to them and then they just request the information from me again. Thank goodness i have the DS form from my doctor and I think I will do the I693 as instructed.

Hopefully this wont cost too much as I have already paid for this. That is the frustrating part...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

If you had your medical less than a year ago then you have to complete I693 with help of a registered doctor. Go to any registered doctor who has done I693 before and he will let you know the rest. The fees the doctor takes is around $120 - $160. I693 is a vaccination supplement and everyone must complete it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Excuse me. By RFE you probably mean the letter I had received instructing me to do all of this:

It reads as follows:

Notice to Applicant:

An initial review of evidence submitted with your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status determined that Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination & Vaccination Record, has not been submitted or has been submitted and is not sufficient for the following reasons:

A completed and signed I-693 was not submitted.

You will be required to submit a valid, completed, and signed Form I-693 at a later date. Please follow these instructions:

- If you receive an interview notice in the mail, you must bring your updated form I-693 to your interview appointment.

- If your case does not require an interview, you will receive a Request for Evidence for for I-693.

DO NOT MAIL DOCUMENTS AT THIS TIME. Mailing documents before receiving one of the notices referenced above may result in a delay of your case.

And then it ends with the usual:

If you have any questions about immigration procedures etc call the NCSC -

when I call they basically tell me they can not explain anything to you at all because they dont know the particulars of my case even after giving them the receipt numbers and explaining everything and reading them this notice they still say that.

That is not an RFE. It is a boilerplate letter that gets sent out when an I-693 is not included because even those that require an I-693 do not have to send it with the initial filing. They can bring it later to the interview.

They are not requesting anything from you at this time.

IF you get an actual RFE in the mail or at an interview you can possibly have requesting an I-693, THEN worry about getting one at that time.

If you had all your vaccinations marked off on the DS-3025 at your K-1 medical, then you may/should get your green card approved without anyone asking for an I-693 from you.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.