Alan_G

why should I make my parents US residents?

57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Let them come and visit for a while and see if they like it.. I wonder why anybody would want to move here for retirement. Lots of American retirees move out to somewhere else where there is less pressure.

A guy brought his mum from Nigeria and that old lady was ready to go back to Nigeria within 3 days...lol..Don't let these family member dictate what you do for your parents. The moment she gets away with this one, she gon be calling more shots.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Let them come and visit for a while and see if they like it.. I wonder why anybody would want to move here for retirement. Lots of American retirees move out to somewhere else where there is less pressure.

A guy brought his mum from Nigeria and that old lady was ready to go back to Nigeria within 3 days...lol..Don't let these family member dictate what you do for your parents. The moment she gets away with this one, she gon be calling more shots.

3 days? Poor lady! :P I can't imagine moving to another, more expensive and faster-paced country for retirement either.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

We plan on retiring in Canada or the south. (My preference is north.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Hi,

I became a U.S. citizen sometime in 2013 or 2014 by marriage (I'm still happily married :luv: ) - A few months ago, a family member started to get on my case/nerves asking me why I haven't helped my parents (Mexican citizens) to become US residents so that they can enjoy the benefits of it. When I ask what are the benefits of being a US residents, I get no answer from my family member. To my knowledge, the only benefit for my parents would be to avoid applying for a US visa every 5 years.

Can somebody enlighten me with some reasons why should I make my parents US residents? Pros, cons? Benefits?

Thank you,

Alan

one man's garbage is other man's treasure. Living in the US is the biggest benefit itself. especially when an alien is from a poor country.is it not big enough of a benefit that one is more safer, have access to luxury or have some of the basic living necessities like potable water, uninterrupted power and food. these are some of the basic stuff that one can't get in the poor countries. i am sorry but it sounded a little weird to me that you don't even remember the year you became a US citizen. seems like you are starting to have what they call the first world problems. on a lighter note, sponsoring your parents is a personal decision and what nature of advice from strangers here can help you on this topic ?

Edited by almost_umrican

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

one man's garbage is other man's treasure. Living in the US is the biggest benefit itself. especially when an alien is from a poor country.is it not big enough of a benefit that one is more safer, have access to luxury or have some of the basic living necessities like potable water, uninterrupted power and food. these are some of the basic stuff that one can't get in the poor countries. i am sorry but it sounded a little weird to me that you don't even remember the year you became a US citizen. seems like you are starting to have what they call the first world problems. on a lighter note, sponsoring your parents is a personal decision and what nature of advice from strangers here can help you on this topic ?

"Living in the US is the biggest benefit itself" <<< that's just your opinion. My parent will not necessarily agree with your opinion. Fortunately enough, they live in a place where potable water, food and all the stuff you mentioned is not an issue.. perhaps you have not visited Mexico and don't have na clear picture of the country.

Of course I know sponsoring my parents is a parent/me decision - The purpose of posting my original question was to be better informed as my parent have certainly asked me questions about why should they become residents...

so what I do not remember the date I became a US citizen... does that makes me a worst person or citizen of this country? I'm not perfect....

Medical services and medications are much cheaper in Mexico. In the USA people lose houses, because they cannot afford medical bills.

Your parents retired and they are getting older. They might have some (minor or major) health issues in future.

If they will need help to pay medical bills or medications, it's gonna be easier for you to support them financially.

Those benefits everybody mentions are important for young people. For older folks there are different priorities.
And like I said it's easier to support them financially when they are in Mexico.

"Living in the US is the biggest benefit itself" <<< that's just your opinion. My parent will not necessarily agree with your opinion. Fortunately enough, they live in a place where potable water, food and all the stuff you mentioned is not an issue.. perhaps you have not visited Mexico and don't have na clear picture of the country.

Of course I know sponsoring my parents is a parent/me decision - The purpose of posting my original question was to be better informed as my parent have certainly asked me questions about why should they become residents...

so what I do not remember the date I became a US citizen... does that makes me a worst person or citizen of this country? I'm not perfect....

you answered your question man ! the only reason people immigrate to a place different from where they were born to better their lives.if they are happy at where they are than why bother ? yes it is my opinion and is based on facts and you can't compare the standard of living in the US or mexico.Also, me commenting on your inability to recall when you became a citizen was said on a lighter note. you are taking it to a different level and missing my point. i am sorry if i offended you.lastly, what do you/parents consider a benefit ? welfare, medicare ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

you answered your question man ! the only reason people immigrate to a place different from where they were born to better their lives.if they are happy at where they are than why bother ? yes it is my opinion and is based on facts and you can't compare the standard of living in the US or mexico.Also, me commenting on your inability to recall when you became a citizen was said on a lighter note. you are taking it to a different level and missing my point. i am sorry if i offended you.lastly, what do you/parents consider a benefit ? welfare, medicare ?

Let's clarify some facts that I should of have included in my original post:

- Why should I make my parents US residents?

* They don't care about welfare, medicare, food stamps, social security, etc. (neither do I) Luckily enough, they live pretty comfortable and have everything they need.

* They are not interested in spending the rest of their days in the US

* They are perfectly fine applying for Visas at the US embassy in Mexico city every 5 years or whenever they have the need for it

* They are not interested in getting a working permit or anything that will allow them to work as they are happily enjoying retirement back home

* Whether one country is better than the other is irrelevant for this question

The intent of the post/question was for me to learn what are the "benefits" of being a resident considering the facts above. As stated in previous posts, there aren't any and it only reinforces my theory that my family member has no clue of what he is talking about.

Last but not least... what do I consider a benefit? I would consider a benefit the fact that they could come and go as they pleased without having to apply for a visa. I certainly don't consider a benefit welfare, medicare or anything along those lines.

-Alan

* They don't care about welfare, medicare, food stamps, social security, etc. (neither do I) Luckily enough, they live pretty comfortable and have everything they need.

* They are perfectly fine applying for Visas at the US embassy in Mexico city every 5 years or whenever they have the need for it

* They are not interested in getting a working permit or anything that will allow them to work as they are happily enjoying retirement back home

The intent of the post/question was for me to learn what are the "benefits" of being a resident considering the facts above. As stated in previous posts, there aren't any and it only reinforces my theory that my family member has no clue of what he is talking about.

Last but not least... what do I consider a benefit? I would consider a benefit the fact that they could come and go as they pleased without having to apply for a visa. I certainly don't consider a benefit welfare, medicare or anything along those lines.

-Alan

We are not going to go in circles man. fair enough, if they have a prosperous and comfortable lives in Mexico and the only benefit you can consider is like you mentioned is not having to apply a visa every now and than. let me tell you something,

once you sponsored them for a GC while they are not in the US, there visitors visa will become null/void. and they will have to wait unless a decision is made on the petitions.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

-Alan

For your parents, LPR status would be a burden.

They would not be able to come and go as they please. An LPR is required to live in the US. Your parents don't want to do that.

An LPR must have state health care under federal law. Your parents would need to pay for US health insurance.

An LPR is required to file US tax returns on worldwide income. Your parents' pensions would be reported on US tax returns.

Stick with the visitor visas.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

-Alan

^^ Then you should ask that relative who brought this up, the "benefit" she was talking about.

I wonder why you couldn't answer that question with everything you posted in this quoted comment.

Why are you asking us?

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

There are definitely some people living in shacks in Mexico, but there are also normally suburban and really nice areas too. People sometimes forget about those just like they forget about the Americans also living in abject poverty.

I personally don't think there is a benefit given their situation, just like I don't think there would be a benefit for my in-laws to come over.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If you have to ask, then you have answered your own question.

We thought about it for my mother in law

1. she does not read and write

2. she does not speak English

3. her other family are there and we can not bring them all

4. her friends are ther and making new ones here would be hard

5. she can visit for 90 days and really enjoy her time / living here she would be lonely

6. we really can't afford all the insurance and changes

7. most important / she doesn't want to

8 it is easier for us to financially help her in her country / bought her a new apartment

Edited by kris&me

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The pros would be:

- Close to you, their child

- Access to great medical care (if paid for)

- Not having to re-apply for a tourist visa

The cons (IMO) are:

- expensive compared to where they live now

- ridiculously expensive health insurance and health care

- away from other family members

- having to file taxes with IRS each year

- possible language barrier (do they speak English?)

- having to spend a minimum of six months a year in the US or risk loosing their GC

- going through a lengthy and expensive immigration visa process

Unless they are wanting to actually move to the US and live here on a permanent basis, there are NO BENEFITS for your parents to try and obtain an immigration visa.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

We are not going to go in circles man. fair enough, if they have a prosperous and comfortable lives in Mexico and the only benefit you can consider is like you mentioned is not having to apply a visa every now and than. let me tell you something,

once you sponsored them for a GC while they are not in the US, there visitors visa will become null/void. and they will have to wait unless a decision is made on the petitions.

No it doesnt. They can still visit with a visitor visa while immigration is happening.

But the point is moot. There is no advantage fo the OPs parents.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.