Sarah_Marcus

receive the green card after arrival, share your OS155A status

1,152 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, IRFUN said:

Update: GC and SS card received. 

What a wild ride. 

Glad to hear everything is resolved.

Make sure to get state ID / DL and use it along with SS card for I-9 verification instead of GC.

I hope you don't have to go through I-751!

On 12/5/2023 at 7:50 PM, maestrofun said:

I entered few days ahead of you (30OCT).

it changed to “card being produced” on the 30 NOV. Then “card was mailed to you” on 05 DEC.

So i suppose you should have a status change by today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your input. 

I hope so but I'm wondering why my ssn didn't come, majority of people get that on the 2nd week.

• 3 weeks later...

I entered the US on December 19, and paid the immigrant fee on December 20. However, the USCIS case tracker on their website suggests that the receipt number, which I received in an email upon the payment, is invalid. Does anyone have the same issue, and what's the solution? Haven't yet received my SSN either. 

Another issue is that my visa was CR1 but I entered after 2 years of marriage. Yet, the officer at the airport wrote "CR1" on the stamp. Are they going to send me a 2-year or 10-year green card in this case?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi everyone.

Entered US with spouse on Nov 17, 2023. Port of entry was JFK.

USCIS Immigrant Fee was paid on October 30th.

SSN was received on Nov 27th.

Case tracker says the same thing; Immigrant Visa Fee Payment Received

Getting annoyed, but remaining patient. 

44 minutes ago, Sabster said:

Hi everyone.

Entered US with spouse on Nov 17, 2023. Port of entry was JFK.

USCIS Immigrant Fee was paid on October 30th.

SSN was received on Nov 27th.

Case tracker says the same thing; Immigrant Visa Fee Payment Received

Getting annoyed, but remaining patient. 

Nothing is fast with USCIS. You have proof of status of up to a year, which should be enough for GC to show up in the mail.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 1:26 PM, txvandps said:

Hello everyone.  I arrived into US in Nov 5th on marriage base visa, until now it's been a month already but I have not received any thing yet. No GC nor SSN. 

Do you think it's a normal waiting time or should I concern?

Where can I track my GC or SSN?

On egov.uscis.gov it still stated the old thing "Case Was Sent To The Department of State".

I paid the visa fee - $220 on Oct.

Regarding SSN: just go to a local Social Security agency office and reapply there.  It happened to us: we checked the box during the consulate processing to apply for the SSN together.  No card showed up 3 weeks since entering the country.  We visited a nearby local SSA branch office in person (no need to book appointment online, just get a ticket at the door, the wait was short.)

The staff at the SSA checked and didn't find the new immigrant in the system at all, and said "It happens alll the time." and that the immigrant could apply right there (bring passport with the immigrant visa!).  We didn't hesitate, and filled out the simple one page application, the SSN card arrived 9 days later.

Inter-agency communication doesn't always go smoothly.  Somewhere the ball maybe dropped: from Department of State (consulate), to USCIS, to SSA, the probability of error compounds.

We're still waiting on the GC, now counting 70 days after POE.

On 12/6/2023 at 11:11 PM, txvandps said:

Thanks for your input. 

I hope so but I'm wondering why my ssn didn't come, majority of people get that on the 2nd week.

See my latest reply --- Just visit a local SSA office in person, bring your passport with the immigrant visa, no appointment required, the staff there can figure out for you.  If you're not in their (SSA)'s system, apply it right there.  Save you lot of frustration.

On 12/28/2023 at 6:38 AM, Ali99725 said:

I entered the US on December 19, and paid the immigrant fee on December 20. However, the USCIS case tracker on their website suggests that the receipt number, which I received in an email upon the payment, is invalid. Does anyone have the same issue, and what's the solution? Haven't yet received my SSN either. 

Another issue is that my visa was CR1 but I entered after 2 years of marriage. Yet, the officer at the airport wrote "CR1" on the stamp. Are they going to send me a 2-year or 10-year green card in this case?

TLDR:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-i-chapter-2  section B.2.

USCIS is under obligation to correct this CR1 error if that's what they entered into your record in their system.   If the card you receive says conditional, they must correct this error to remove the condition.  Note that "removal of condition" may resonate more with the USCIS staff, than the term "IR1", because IR1 is a visa terminalogy, and the visa is issued by the Department of State, whereas USCIS is under Department of Homeland Security, they may adhere more strictly to their internal lingo, vis-a-vis "conditional PR", and "removal of condition."

Section B, item 2. -- "Misclassified CPRs"

"Noncitizen spouses or children who believe they were misclassified as CPRs because the marriage took place 2 or more years before they obtained conditional permanent residence or who otherwise believe they are not subject to conditions imposed by INA 216[19] should file an Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (Form I-90) according to the form instructions.[20]

Officers may encounter cases where the CPR was misclassified when the CPR entered the United States or adjusted status. This generally occurs due to the inspecting or adjudicating officer’s failure to notice that at least 2 years had passed since the marriage providing the basis for status occurred, at the time the noncitizen was admitted to the United States as a permanent resident or adjusted to permanent resident status...."

Edited by PCHU
More precise & concise wording.

6 hours ago, PCHU said:

TLDR:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-i-chapter-2  section B.2.

USCIS is under obligation to correct this CR1 error if that's what they entered into your record in their system.   If the card you receive says conditional, they must correct this error to remove the condition.  Note that "removal of condition" may resonate more with the USCIS staff, than the term "IR1", because IR1 is a visa terminalogy, and the visa is issued by the Department of State, whereas USCIS is under Department of Homeland Security, they may adhere more strictly to their internal lingo, vis-a-vis "conditional PR", and "removal of condition."

Section B, item 2. -- "Misclassified CPRs"

"Noncitizen spouses or children who believe they were misclassified as CPRs because the marriage took place 2 or more years before they obtained conditional permanent residence or who otherwise believe they are not subject to conditions imposed by INA 216[19] should file an Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (Form I-90) according to the form instructions.[20]

Officers may encounter cases where the CPR was misclassified when the CPR entered the United States or adjusted status. This generally occurs due to the inspecting or adjudicating officer’s failure to notice that at least 2 years had passed since the marriage providing the basis for status occurred, at the time the noncitizen was admitted to the United States as a permanent resident or adjusted to permanent resident status...."

Thank you so much for the elaborate response!

I already went to the SSA office. They indeed took my passport with the visa therein and handed me a letter suggesting that I am to receive my SSC within 14 days. 

As for the GC, I'm still waiting to receive it. Hopefully, no mistakes are made. But if there are any, now, I know what to cite in the cover letter I'm sending along with the I-90. 

Thanks again!

Edited by Ali99725

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My foreign spouse's details are:

POE : LAX (Los Angeles)

Category : IR-1

Date of Entry : 13 December 2023

The online status still reads "Visa Fee Payment Received" and so the wait continues.

I might add that we never received her SS card although we responded "Yes" to the corresponding question in DS-260. The local SSA office in Austin doesn't accept walk-ins for new SS cards (which is not mentioned anywhere online, btw) and so we are waiting for our upcoming appointment date as well.  :cry:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 7:47 PM, 5th42nd said:

Got my visa on NOV 21 2022 (CR-1)

USCIS Immigrant Fee Payment Date: FEB 15, 2023

Entered US via JFK on April 6, 2023

I’m on my 87th day after i arrived to the states

as far as i know i should receive my green card before the 90th day and my case status still says “Immigrant visa fee received “ 

I don’t know what’s wrong with my case :(

I'm curious what happened with your green card. Did you receive it?

Timeline
On 2/9/2024 at 6:05 AM, InaneTripe said:

My foreign spouse's details are:

POE : LAX (Los Angeles)

Category : IR-1

Date of Entry : 13 December 2023

The online status still reads "Visa Fee Payment Received" and so the wait continues.

I might add that we never received her SS card although we responded "Yes" to the corresponding question in DS-260. The local SSA office in Austin doesn't accept walk-ins for new SS cards (which is not mentioned anywhere online, btw) and so we are waiting for our upcoming appointment date as well.  :cry:

77 days since US entry and still waiting for the GC. Status remains stuck at "Visa Fee Payment Received". Sigh...

1 hour ago, InaneTripe said:

77 days since US entry and still waiting for the GC. Status remains stuck at "Visa Fee Payment Received". Sigh...

We had the same thing with my daughter's GC.  The rest of us got our GC's within 6 weeks of entry, hers just never arrived. And interestingly, she also was the only one that didn't get her SSN either.

I had to report the GC as missing and then it turned out that she needed to go and re-do the photo as they didn't think it was acceptable (despite the same photo being fine for the visa, and her previous O visa too!). I've no idea why they didn't contact us to tell us that before though. Once you hit 90 days you can fill in the form to report its non-arrival and then hopefully that will get things moving. 

Edited by appleblossom

Timeline
3 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

We had the same thing with my daughter's GC.  The rest of us got our GC's within 6 weeks of entry, hers just never arrived. I had to report it as missing and then it turned out that she needed to go and re-do the photo as they didn't think it was acceptable (despite the same photo being fine for the visa, and her previous O visa too!). I've no idea why they didn't contact us to tell us that though. Once you hit 90 days you can fill in the form to report it's non-arrival and then hopefully that will get things moving. 

Thank you for the advice! I'll plan to do just that. It is weird they can just sleep on the case after having received the $220 fee and wait for us to reach out to them first! 

4 minutes ago, InaneTripe said:

Thank you for the advice! I'll plan to do just that. It is weird they can just sleep on the case after having received the $220 fee and wait for us to reach out to them first! 

It is very odd. What's even stranger is that the reason they gave us for my daughter's SSN not arriving was that apparently there is somebody else in the US with exactly the same name and same DOB as her, so they just decided it must be a mistake as this other person couldn't need another SSN. The idea of two people having the same details and each needing their own SSN clearly hadn't occurred to them. 🙄😂 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.