Tivosis51

Unmarried mentally handicapped child over 21.

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

there is a provision in immigration " Humanitarian Grounds", perhaps you can apply for your daughter under this category. You need to consult an attorney.

Perhaps a lawyer could find a good way of avoiding the inevitable question on whether Canada is the more humane and logical place for a disabled adult. Certainly one would presume that a country with a single payer health system and supposedly more services would be better than America.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

She is with family in Canada and not alone, I just wanted her full time with me. I guess she can spend up to 6 months a year here with me and I will spend time up there until we can get her approved. I knew there was going to be some wait, but I was ill advised that it would be 6 months to a year. Guess not. It will work out.

Please be aware that by spending 6 months in the US every year, she may be deemed to have abused her visiting privileges by de facto living illegally in the US and lose her ability to visit the US.

there is a provision in immigration " Humanitarian Grounds", perhaps you can apply for your daughter under this category. You need to consult an attorney.

Immigration does not work that way. "Humanitarian Grounds" doesn't work that way. Don't give people false hope when you are guessing at answers.

US citizens with spouses in war-torn Syria have requested expedites on humanitarian grounds and been denied, so it's not going to work for a disabled daughter in Canada where there is no war, no starvation, and which enjoys some of the best healthcare and standards of living in the world.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

OP,

If your daughter spends too much time in the US during visits she will be a risk of being denied entry.

Yes, when dealing with immigration it can be depressing.

Good luck to you.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Seek legal advise and they can provide better information. I believe your case falls under special circumstances.

What make her case special circumstances?

Choosing to leave her disabled adult child behind in a first world country (Canada)?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Seek legal advise and they can provide better information. I believe your case falls under special circumstances.

Why would it? I am disabled and don't qualify for special circumstances to move to my husband faster. There's nothing wrong with the healthcare in Canada. Her health is not at risk if she stays there. If anything, disabled people face even more scrutiny as the authorities want to be certain we won't become a public charge.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Down syndrome is not a terminal condition.

My previous job I had a coworker with Down's that was doing manual labor. He was married and had worked for the company for over 20 years. His pension was better than mine!!

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I already looked into having my fiance's brother to come here for medical treatment which he CANNOT get in Morocco and also after his parents become too old to take care of him it will be up to me and my fiance. I wanted to know what my options were for the future. I didn't say anything to his family because I don't know what will happen. He has cerebral palsy. They have more than enough money to cover his medical costs. But it would be a waiting game as I was explained to by an attorney. Here in the USA we have treatments that they will not have in Morocco for years to come for cerebral palsy. Special circumstances do not apply unless there is an immediate need for coming here. Even he was not considered a special circumstance and not in need of medical treatment now. It is very hard to get a special pass.

Why would it? I am disabled and don't qualify for special circumstances to move to my husband faster. There's nothing wrong with the healthcare in Canada. Her health is not at risk if she stays there. If anything, disabled people face even more scrutiny as the authorities want to be certain we won't become a public charge.

That was the first thing an attorney said to me....If you bring your fiance's brother here (he will be my husband for a while by that time) but he said they will want to know that all his medical costs are covered. Which they will be.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We are getting off subject, but there is the B Medical for this sort of case.

Obviously not for most due to the enormous cost of medical treatment in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

What make her case special circumstances?

Choosing to leave her disabled adult child behind in a first world country (Canada)?

Y'all kno very thing about immigration right?? I am not going to go in details about anything but like I said she can fall under special circumstances and should seek legal advise. You know what I just ate my favorite food and I'm really full. Will come back when I'm at ease.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This should be interesting.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Y'all kno very thing about immigration right?? I am not going to go in details about anything but like I said she can fall under special circumstances and should seek legal advise. You know what I just ate my favorite food and I'm really full. Will come back when I'm at ease.

No one said they know everything. But there are several people here who have looked into what qualifies as an emergency situation, and attempted to have their cases expedited based on their health issues, and even more serious health issues have not seen any compassion on the part of immigration. There was a USC who had a brain tumour and her husband's case was not expedited. I have known of one case where it was granted and that was when the USC was having a liver transplant. His child's case was expedited so she could be with him as there was a strong chance he would die.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.