Stefan110882

No time for K1 - what shall we do?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We filled for my K1 by the very end of April (04/29/15) and with a RFE in the middle of all that, we still managed to get it approved by October 6th.

The way I see it, you either get married in Germany or get a fiancee Visa. Any other way to do it would be fraud and that is precisely what the United States doesn't want. You'd be pretty much stating that you are coming to visit your fiancee, when your actual intent is to get married.

And the point is, if you want to live here and have no trouble, best thing is to do everything by the book. Why would you want to risk getting everything done legally? What if they refuse your AOS/CR-1 based on that?

On the other hand (and I would really like to read mimolicious insight on this, since he/she always posts very useful stuff), as I was talking to a friend who works in an immigration office, she said that getting the K1 is a waste of money and time, and that many people come here on a tourist visa and wait until it's very end to get married. Apparently it works just fine for AOS.

If you ask me, it is a greater waste of time to be here doing nothing for 6 months, to get married and have to wait another 90 or so days to be able to work, but that is just my opinion.

No need to wait until the very end.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you for all the good advices.

I'll consider everything.

I find it kinda sad that some of you just yell "FRAUD" at me. I only asked a simple question. I'm new to this forum and this whole process is difficult to understand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I find it kinda sad that some of you just yell "FRAUD" at me. I only asked a simple question. I'm new to this forum and this whole process is difficult to understand.

But you kept on going on and on and on, so not a simple question.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

But you kept on going on and on and on, so not a simple question.

At least he did not bring up the legendary 30/60/90 days rule :rofl:

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Timeline

Complications might arise if you let out that you are traveling on your Esta to get married. You could be denied entry to the United States. This is exactly what red flags an entry for denial. If you don't follow the rules then you could end up with an immigration ban. Entering the U.S., marrying and staying is not an option. Please rethink your marriage date and apply for a K-1 Visa or seek the help of a qualified immigration attorney to explore other options.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

because you kept asking why you could not do it that way. Obviously you knew what you were asking, but continued asking hoping for an answer you would like. No one here cares about the fact that you want to marry on Sept 2 and don't have time to file for a k-1, you shouldn't have planned a date without knowing the visa process.

We're saying it is fraud. It's a fact. The CBP would send you home without seeing your fiancée. We don't want that for you either.

You know your options. I wish you the best!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

There are a couple of reasons why some folks are bristling at your line of questioning.

The majority of folks at this forum have done, or are doing their family visas, be it fiance(e) or spouse visa, the long, drawn-out legal way. Many have dutifully complied with US immigration laws, regulations and processes. As a consequence, many have spent a lot of time separated from their loved ones, that is the nature of the process.

Additionally, when we all (including you) joined this site we agreed to abide by the VJ Terms of Service (TOS): http://www.visajourn...m/content/terms I would encourage you to take some time and read them. One of them is:

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

Your line of questioning is walking the thin line, depending on your follow-up inquiries, to being a TOS violation, or tempting other members to violate the TOS. Members committing TOS violations are subject to administrative actions.

So, for a newbie, such as yourself, to start posing questions that people hear all of the time from folks, who from their perspective, are trying to circumvent or "game" the system, they are reluctant to offer any other answer, and rightfully so, given their circumstances and immigration situation. As a consequence, you are getting the unadorned, unsweetened truth from their perspective. BTW, you are preaching to the choir, forum members realize all to well how difficult this byzantine immigration system is to understand and successfully navigate.

This is a DIY site, take advantage of all of the information in the GUIDES and the other sections, formulated by folks that have already or a currently on their immigration journey.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

~Moved from WST-based AOS to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Timeline

I kept asking, cause I thought I was misunderstood

I might have a legal solution for my issue and would like to have your opinion.

We could instead just have the ceremony at church, without making it official.

I would travel back after my vacation and wait 'til K1 is issued. After that, we could have a civil wedding.

THX for your reply.

In the US, a church ceremony IS legal. I don't know if a priest/pastor whatever would agree to a pretend ceremony.

K-1's are going fast now; you might make it if you apply quick. It's always a gamble, though.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I would travel back after my vacation and wait 'til K1 is issued. After that, we could have a civil wedding.

THX for your reply.

Nope. Religious or not married is married is married. This too would be fraud.

We filled for my K1 by the very end of April (04/29/15) and with a RFE in the middle of all that, we still managed to get it approved by October 6th.

The way I see it, you either get married in Germany or get a fiancee Visa. Any other way to do it would be fraud and that is precisely what the United States doesn't want. You'd be pretty much stating that you are coming to visit your fiancee, when your actual intent is to get married.

And the point is, if you want to live here and have no trouble, best thing is to do everything by the book. Why would you want to risk getting everything done legally? What if they refuse your AOS/CR-1 based on that?

On the other hand (and I would really like to read mimolicious insight on this, since he/she always posts very useful stuff), as I was talking to a friend who works in an immigration office, she said that getting the K1 is a waste of money and time, and that many people come here on a tourist visa and wait until it's very end to get married. Apparently it works just fine for AOS.

If you ask me, it is a greater waste of time to be here doing nothing for 6 months, to get married and have to wait another 90 or so days to be able to work, but that is just my opinion.

Daisy and I filed for the K1 in March 2015, she received her K1 visa in early July 2015 then married in August. If their packet goes through the California Service Center is could be as fast as that. Not sure about Texas right now.

US Citizenship based on section 319(b)

Entered US Date: 7/27/2015

Date Married: 8/15/2015

GC-Date: 12/1/2015

Sent: 4/12/2016

Check Cashed: 4/20/2016

E-Notification: 4/20/2016

NOA: 4/18/2016

Fprints: 4/12/2016

In Line:

Int Ltr: 7/19/2016

Interview: 8/8/2016

Oath: 8/10/2016

Field Office: Honolulu, HI

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Daisy and I filed for the K1 in March 2015, she received her K1 visa in early July 2015 then married in August. If their packet goes through the California Service Center is could be as fast as that. Not sure about Texas right now.

CSC handles all K1 applications now.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

THX for your reply.

People on here understand your confusion and the process of getting your hopes up, only to be let down by reality all too well.

Reality is, when it comes to immigration, you have to jump through the hoops, the system will not bend for you.

There's too many stories here about couples who've done something similar to what you suggest, only to have their K1 denied. Rule of thumb: if it looks like a wedding, you're too married for K1.

Why is Sep 2nd so important?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.