Justme43

K1 petition denied

42 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi guys so I filed for K1 petition for my fiancé and his interview was Feb 1 last Monday. Initially his interview date was March 30 but we worked with the congresswoman in out city to have the date expedited because of medical reasons so we got a date of Feb 1. He was not interviewed when he was called but rather the CO just asked two questions. She had one of our pics in front of her and asked my fiancé who they were and he said his of the family the next question was what did you present at the time of your engagement, and he said drinks money and cloths in our traditional custom. Then the CO said I have bad new for you because in your culture engagement is considered marriage and therefore she denied the petition and gave him a white slip reading 221g and the status on their system states Admin Processing" So the Congresswoman emailed them and asked why they denied the petition and they said because in Ghana, our traditional engagement in marriage therefore the K1 petition is denied and we have to file I130. Money and time wasted and the energy to even ask attorneys about this is just a nightmare. Has anyone gone through this before and how did they proceed?? Please advise

Thanks

Sorry to hear this but i think you shouldn't give up hope. Just file I-130 like all is saying and it would be much easier. Sorry for all the money and energy wasted. Your fiance should have known better!

Edited by strongmyk

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Sorry that you went through all this process and were denied. When you file for your marriage certificate, are you able to use the engagement date as the date of the marriage? If so, your husband might be eligible for IR1 instead of CR1 visa, which means he receives his 10yr green card upon arrival, instead of the conditional one.

No. USCIS wants the registered marriage date. Unfortunately a traditional marriage is "too married" for a K1 and "not enough married" (in the sense

of the papers) for a I-130 petition for a CR1. So the traditional date does not count.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think your problem is bigger that Immigration issues such as you do not know about your husband's culture, and your husband does not know about his culture either...I am an outsider and I know that a customary marriage is a marriage in Ghana and in other Countries as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Im so sorry to hear about your denial. Too many times I've seen denials because the couple did dowry or "knocking rite." There have been a few couples on VJ that have gone or going through this same issue. I would suggest doing some research and reaching out to those couples to see if they overcame it or just filed the CR1. It appears you don't have any other options other than to file a CR1. Again, sorry for the denial and I wish you the best.

I think your problem is bigger that Immigration issues such as you do not know about your husband's culture, and your husband does not know about his culture either...I am an outsider and I know that a customary marriage is a marriage in Ghana and in other Countries as well.

How do you know what they do and don't know about each other's culture.

To the OP: I am sorry it worked out that way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Im so sorry to hear about your denial. Too many times I've seen denials because the couple did dowry or "knocking rite." There have been a few couples on VJ that have gone or going through this same issue. I would suggest doing some research and reaching out to those couples to see if they overcame it or just filed the CR1. It appears you don't have any other options other than to file a CR1. Again, sorry for the denial and I wish you the best.

I couldn't agree with you more. OP should heed to your advice

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is beyond me that the OP's fiancé did not know that. I would be mad as hell to go through all that paperwork for nothing.

What I don't understand is why the exchange of dowry is considered to be a legally binding marriage. No documents were signed, something like that if done in most places would have zero legal recognition unless a government office was involved.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

What I don't understand is why the exchange of dowry is considered to be a legally binding marriage. No documents were signed, something like that if done in most places would have zero legal recognition unless a government office was involved.

That is our culture! Our parents and grandparents went this route.They didnt sign any papers or do any documentation. Yet they valued and respected their marriages and their marriages lasted long too... Signing documents is just COSMETIC!

Also use a lawyer. Many people of this site are anti lawyer and don't recommend that people use them. We did even though we could have technically done it ourselves. It made things a lot easier.

Some of the lawyers are even more confused than the petitioners/applicants...

Yes it is cultural, but to me it doesn't seem like it is legally recognized, since nothing was signed or registered. People in Europe for example do ceremonial religious marriages in churches and these marriages don't mean squat legally unless they get registered.

Some of the lawyers are even more confused than the petitioners/applicants...

This is why you get a good lawyer. Do research online and don't hire the first person who comes up on google. We talked to several lawyers before we hired one and it was a good decision.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes it is cultural, but to me it doesn't seem like it is legally recognized, since nothing was signed or registered. People in Europe for example do ceremonial religious marriages in churches and these marriages don't mean squat legally unless they get registered.

This is why you get a good lawyer. Do research online and don't hire the first person who comes up on google. We talked to several lawyers before we hired one and it was a good decision.

It's not about what you think. And define what you think legal means? All registering a marriage does is give someone rights in case of death (property, money. etc.). In most cultures having ceremony is good as gold. Things have not changed and thank God.

A traditional marriage is very scared and precious. And it's recognized. Bride prize paid, people party the days away. The bride may or may not go home with the groom. That day. Depends on the father of the bride. But she is betroth to him. Paid for, promised to him. That's the way it is. Africans know that, the embassy knows that it's no secret.

And sorry I have known of too many cases from all over the world where lawyers advised and suggested couples doing a "Civil Ceremony". Just don't file the papers. And guess what denial at interview cuz CO believes they are married ans tells them so.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

It's not about what you think. And define what you think legal means? All registering a marriage does is give someone rights in case of death (property, money. etc.). In most cultures having ceremony is good as gold. Things have not changed and thank God.

A traditional marriage is very scared and precious. And it's recognized. Bride prize paid, people party the days away. The bride may or may not go home with the groom. That day. Depends on the father of the bride. But she is betroth to him. Paid for, promised to him. That's the way it is. Africans know that, the embassy knows that it's no secret.

And sorry I have known of too many cases from all over the world where lawyers advised and suggested couples doing a "Civil Ceremony". Just don't file the papers. And guess what denial at interview cuz CO believes they are married ans tells them so.

Legal means that the marriage was done in the legal way and recognized by a government office. Exchanging something in between couples privately doesn't sound like it it is valid in any legal sense. Yes a traditional marriage is sacred and precious however in court it isn't legally recognized. Someone could go in to a church or a mosque or a synagogue and get married but the marriage wouldn't hold up in the law unless it is registered or recognized. Most churches won't preform a wedding for you in the US and Europe unless you apply for a marriage license beforehand. And just because you know of some bad lawyers doesn't mean that all lawyers are bad and you shouldn't tell people not to use a lawyer just because you don't trust them. As someone who is related to several lawyers, I take offense to what you say.

Edited by catlover31

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.