niceguy

K1 visa...can you just marry anyone?

95 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
*oh boy*

Ok I knew I was opening a can or worms here....let me explain a little....first off im married already and getting ready to petition but my friend has met someone who had a fiancée but he left her...she has his the visa from the previous fiancée though...its good for a couple more weeks. They were thinking they could use it but I keep telling them I don’t think you can...so that is why im here...were do I find something official that says you have to marry the petitioner. When I read the rules it just says fiancée...that is pretty general but I know its not...so could someone post a link here to the info im looking for?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

the person they marry has to be the person that filed for them

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We're all going through this process for our partners...trust us on this one when we say it's the petitioner. Look at the forms you have to file, with the specific data for the non citizen loved one.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

*oh boy*

Ok I knew I was opening a can or worms here....let me explain a little....first off im married already and getting ready to petition but my friend has met someone who had a fiancée but he left her...she has his the visa from the previous fiancée though...its good for a couple more weeks. They were thinking they could use it but I keep telling them I don't think you can...so that is why im here...were do I find something official that says you have to marry the petitioner. When I read the rules it just says fiancée...that is pretty general but I know its not...so could someone post a link here to the info im looking for?

I would think it's so obvious that you wouldn't need something 'official'...! I mean, why would they go to all the trouble of vetting both the petitioner and the beneficiary so carefully, if they didn't care who the beneficiary married?! Hey, let's go one step further - once the beneficiary has the visa, maybe they should just be able to pass it onto a friend, who can use it to enter the US and just marry any random person of their choice... great idea! :blink::wacko::thumbs:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

*oh boy*

Ok I knew I was opening a can or worms here....let me explain a little....first off im married already and getting ready to petition but my friend has met someone who had a fiancée but he left her...she has his the visa from the previous fiancée though...its good for a couple more weeks. They were thinking they could use it but I keep telling them I don’t think you can...so that is why im here...were do I find something official that says you have to marry the petitioner. When I read the rules it just says fiancée...that is pretty general but I know its not...so could someone post a link here to the info im looking for?

The whole petition is information about the first fiance...not your friend. This is why she cant use the information from the former. I wonder if she can marry him ad then file a K3? Or even an AOS? Have you looked into that? I dont know if thats illegal being that she came over on a visa for a different petitioner. She doesnt waste time by the way! The time limit is only 90 days once she's in the country!

niceguy,

You are not reading the rules, you're reading a simplified synopsis of the rules.

The rules are the INA. INA 101 (A) (15) (k), I believe. Or see the Foreign Affairs Manual, the Department of State's guidelines for implementation of the rules. 9 FAM 41.81 Notes.

Yodrak

..... When I read the rules it just says fiancée...that is pretty general but I know its not...so could someone post a link here to the info im looking for?
Edited by Yodrak

*oh boy*

Is this a joke or what. Clearly that girl is abusing the marriage visa process. The visa is intended for genuine applicants. How would she explain this at the AOS interview?? This is actually a good reason why this visa has to be tightened..

Who is the US applicant, your friend or this girl?

Edited by Infidel

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You may apply for adjustment of status to permanent residence if you were a fiancee who was admitted to the U.S. on a K-1 visa and then married the U.S. citizen who applied for the K-1 visa for you.

Note: If you did not marry the U.S. citizen who filed the K-1 fiancee petition on your behalf, or if you married another U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you are not eligible to adjust status in the U.S.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
:rolleyes:

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your friend can marry her but... She must leave the USA ASAP and new papers ned to be filed.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

I-130 Sent: 07/30/06

I-130 NOA-1 (Notice Date): 08/10/06

I-130 Touched or just entered into system 8/12/2006

I-130 NOA-1 Received by Mail: 08/14/06

I-130 Check Clears Bank: 08/14/2006

I-130 TOUCHED!!! 10/20/2006 DAUGHTERS APPLICATION

I-130 Touched again 10/21/2006 on a Saturday:) DAUGHTERS APPLICATION

I-130 RFE waiting to find out what the problem is 10/31/2006 DAUGHTERS APPLICATION

I-130 sent in the missing document 11/3/2006 DAUGHTERS APPLICATION

I-130 Daughters application touched 11/8/06

I-130 Daughters application touched again 11/9/06

I-130 Daughters application touched again 11/28/2006

I-130 Wifes application touched for the first time daughters application touched 11/29/2006

I-130 NOA-2 Approval 11/30 for wife and Child!

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : December 21st

Pay I-864 Bill January 11, 2007

Receive I-864 Package : Febuary 1 for wife only

Return Completed DS-3032 (Agent Choice) : January 11, 2007

Receive IV Bill : Febuary 1 for wife and daughter

Pay IV Bill : Febuary 12 for wife and daughter

Sent in I-864: Febuary 12 for wife and daughter

Sent Visa Application (DS 230) for wife and daughter: March 9, 2007

Case Completed at NVC : May 1st 2007 for both wife and daughter!

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Noone should be expected to take anyones word for gospel on here. Misinformation is given on these forums daily. Sometimes they are repeated so often that they become "visa legend" (kind of like urban legend).

I think it's wrong to belittle someone who asks for an official reference.

In this case, the holder of a K1 visa can only adjust status through marriage to the petitioner. Here's the reference:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...52bd97b8937ce80

8 CFR Part 245 ( c )(6)(i)

( c )Ineligible aliens . The following categories of aliens are ineligible to apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident alien under section 245 of the Act: (Added 10/1/94; 59 FR 51091 )

(6)Any alien admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant defined in section 101(a)(15)(K) of the Act, unless: (Revised 8/14/01; 66 FR 42587 ) (Amended effective 4/1/97; 62 FR 10312 )

(i) In the case of a K-1 fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(i) of the Act or the K-2 child of a fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(iii) of the Act, the alien is applying for adjustment of status based upon the marriage of the K-1 fiance(e) which was contracted within 90 days of entry with the United States citizen who filed a petition on behalf of the K-1 fiance(e) pursuant to § 214.2(k) of this chapter;

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.