niceguy

K1 visa...can you just marry anyone?

95 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Awww, sorry man, there's no transferrable option on the visas...it's not like you're transferring a service contract on a house or something like that. Duh.

Oh, btw...you not cancelling the K-1 for your fiancee even though you had decided not to marry her? That's fraud.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I have to admit, it does make for some entertainment on a lonely Saturday while hubby is at work ;)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Noone should be expected to take anyones word for gospel on here. Misinformation is given on these forums daily. Sometimes they are repeated so often that they become "visa legend" (kind of like urban legend).

I think it's wrong to belittle someone who asks for an official reference.

In this case, the holder of a K1 visa can only adjust status through marriage to the petitioner. Here's the reference:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...52bd97b8937ce80

8 CFR Part 245 ( c )(6)(i)

( c )Ineligible aliens . The following categories of aliens are ineligible to apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident alien under section 245 of the Act: (Added 10/1/94; 59 FR 51091 )

(6)Any alien admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant defined in section 101(a)(15)(K) of the Act, unless: (Revised 8/14/01; 66 FR 42587 ) (Amended effective 4/1/97; 62 FR 10312 )

(i) In the case of a K-1 fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(i) of the Act or the K-2 child of a fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(iii) of the Act, the alien is applying for adjustment of status based upon the marriage of the K-1 fiance(e) which was contracted within 90 days of entry with the United States citizen who filed a petition on behalf of the K-1 fiance(e) pursuant to § 214.2(k) of this chapter;

Thank you all that could answer with some maturity. I know it seem obvious but sometimes there are ways around the obvious so I came here to have get answers and inputs not to be belittled but as I have seen here allot of times before that some of you are just waiting to have you chance to put someone down...I think that is sad.... but not everyone is like that..so thanks to them!!

listion BUDDY!

you could have posed your orignal question with some maturity and thought! instead you come and post a half- baked question, knowing full well that people would respond the way they did! if people reacted in the way you did not like TOO BAD because, you set it up that way!

shon.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wish people would read through THE WHOLE THREAD before responding to this now-circular and frankly pointless (yet, yes, entertaining) discussion.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

If the OP's ex comes in on his K-1 visa, the OP should be prosecuted for fraud.

I wish people would read through THE WHOLE THREAD before responding to this now-circular and frankly pointless (yet, yes, entertaining) discussion.

Well if it's entertaining, it's no longer pointless, is it? ;)

Timeline

It is when people start sincerely responding to the OP's question without catching up on the entire story so far with all his dodgy twists and turns and keeping this thread at the top of the page (which I do realize I'm not helping with). He knows the answer now and we know a lot more - kinda - about his half-baked story and rationalizing than he probably should have shared.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

Lisa...thats the point. She's already here! She's got two weeks left and is frantically trying to marry SOMEONE! If you have a woman gyno does that make you a lesbian? :huh:

Timeline

Well if we're going to keep this damn thing going at least get the facts straight: I don't think she is here - she has 2 weeks left on the validity of her visa, but according to the OPs (confusing and loopy, don't-hate-me!) posts, this new guy wants to bring her over. That implies she isn't here but wants to get here.

The OP has married someone and is getting ready to petition - implying that he is going the K3 route this time with another match made abroad.

see: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=768196

and: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=767805

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Lisa...thats the point. She's already here! She's got two weeks left and is frantically trying to marry SOMEONE! If you have a woman gyno does that make you a lesbian? :huh:

I'd agree with TimDaisy...I don't think she's here. I think she's thinking she could use her previous K-1 for this guy to enter the country to marry another.

Cos let's face it, if she were already here, then I think this thread wouldn't even be here. Cos she'd need the K-1 for POE only really.

From what I've discerned from his posts, he may or may not be married or in a petition at the time. That might've been part of the ruse of the oh so effective 'my friend has a problem' bit.

oh and as far as the gyno, the only probbo that person had was if it was a male gyno. That made you a heathenous #######, apparantly, lol.

Good times, good times ;)

people are FREE to respond at ANY POINT they desire. if you dont like it TOUGH you cant go around trying to control when and how people post.

shon.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have read through this entire thread and I conclude..........It made my eyes hurt. A LOT !

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
[Lisa...thats the point. She's already here! She's got two weeks left and is frantically trying to marry SOMEONE! If you have a woman gyno does that make you a lesbian? :huh:

oh m'god .... LOLOLOL !!!!!!! Hmmmm ... let's see. A ####### or a lesbian - which shall it be? Decisions. Decisions.

MM and MS

San Francisco and Istanbul

I-129F Received (CSC): February 21, 2007

Filing Fee Check Cashed: February 26, 2007

NOA1 Issued: February 28, 2007

Touched: March 1, 2007

Touched: May 7, 2007

RFE Issued: May 8, 2007

RFE Reply Sent: June 25, 2007 (wrong PO Box)

RFE Reply Sent: July 12, 2007 (correct address)

RFE Reply Received (CSC): July 19, 2007

Touched: July 20, 2007

NOA2 Issued: July 27, 2007

Petition Received (NVC): August 20,2007

Petition Sent to Embassy (Ankara, Turkey): August 22, 2007

Packet 3 Arrived: September 11, 2007

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.