niceguy

K1 visa...can you just marry anyone?

95 posts in this topic

A better and more realistic question would be:

Can a K-1 "recipient" have more than one K-1 application "going at the same time"?

If you have a K1 visa...can you marry anyone or does it have to be the petitioner?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Sure! - file the petition for the original USC, marry her, then move to UTAH (thats a state in the US) and you can then marry like 10 women - meanwhile make sure you keep in contact with the first USC wife so when immigration comes around you can pretend you're in love while you adjust for status. Before you know it you'll be a US Citizen yourself and can marry someone else into the country! Simple! :bonk:

Hey, I think you should be a little more specific - IT'S JUST AS ILLEGAL TO PRACTIC POLYGAMY IN UTAH AS IT IS ANYWHERE ELSE. . . . . Unless, of course, you can get in contact with Warren Jeffs and live in Colorado City, Utah. :jest:

The rest of us here only have one spouse.

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Noone should be expected to take anyones word for gospel on here. Misinformation is given on these forums daily. Sometimes they are repeated so often that they become "visa legend" (kind of like urban legend).

I think it's wrong to belittle someone who asks for an official reference.

In this case, the holder of a K1 visa can only adjust status through marriage to the petitioner. Here's the reference:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...52bd97b8937ce80

8 CFR Part 245 ( c )(6)(i)

( c )Ineligible aliens . The following categories of aliens are ineligible to apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident alien under section 245 of the Act: (Added 10/1/94; 59 FR 51091 )

(6)Any alien admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant defined in section 101(a)(15)(K) of the Act, unless: (Revised 8/14/01; 66 FR 42587 ) (Amended effective 4/1/97; 62 FR 10312 )

(i) In the case of a K-1 fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(i) of the Act or the K-2 child of a fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(iii) of the Act, the alien is applying for adjustment of status based upon the marriage of the K-1 fiance(e) which was contracted within 90 days of entry with the United States citizen who filed a petition on behalf of the K-1 fiance(e) pursuant to § 214.2(k) of this chapter;

john_and_marlene,

Thank you for your very mature response and providing the OP with the information that he needed.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Timeline
Noone should be expected to take anyones word for gospel on here. Misinformation is given on these forums daily. Sometimes they are repeated so often that they become "visa legend" (kind of like urban legend).

In this case, the holder of a K1 visa can only adjust status through marriage to the petitioner. Here's the reference:

( c )Ineligible aliens . The following categories of aliens are ineligible to apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident alien under section 245 of the Act: (Added 10/1/94; 59 FR 51091 )

(6)Any alien admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant defined in section 101(a)(15)(K) of the Act, unless: (Revised 8/14/01; 66 FR 42587 ) (Amended effective 4/1/97; 62 FR 10312 )

(i) In the case of a K-1 fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(i) of the Act or the K-2 child of a fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(iii) of the Act, the alien is applying for adjustment of status based upon the marriage of the K-1 fiance(e) which was contracted within 90 days of entry with the United States citizen who filed a petition on behalf of the K-1 fiance(e) pursuant to § 214.2(k) of this chapter;

Thank you all that could answer with some maturity. I know it seem obvious but sometimes there are ways around the obvious so I came here to have get answers and inputs not to be belittled but as I have seen here allot of times before that some of you are just waiting to have you chance to put someone down...I think that is sad.... but not everyone is like that..so thanks to them!!

Thank you all that could answer with some maturity. I know it seem obvious but sometimes there are ways around the obvious so I came here to have get answers and inputs not to be belittled but as I have seen here allot of times before that some of you are just waiting to have you chance to put someone down...I think that is sad.... but not everyone is like that..so thanks to them!!

Aw man, Im sorry. That was a bit uncalled for but it just seems like such an obvious answer to someone who has frequented this forum in the past. I apologize for offending you.

Aw man, Im sorry. That was a bit uncalled for but it just seems like such an obvious answer to someone who has frequented this forum in the past. I apologize for offending you.

Thanks...no sweat man...apologie accepted!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I think...and I'm speaking for others without their permission..that the reason some people might seem a bit miffed is that this "Friend" of yours is one more petition that clogged up the system making people wait....making people that are really in love and waiting to be reunited...so that the "friend" can get a petition for the first woman who wants it...and if that one didn't work out..heck, just try a second one...

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

would your "Friend's" problem sound anything like this?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry594093

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

I think...and I'm speaking for others without their permission..that the reason some people might seem a bit miffed is that this "Friend" of yours is one more petition that clogged up the system making people wait....making people that are really in love and waiting to be reunited...so that the "friend" can get a petition for the first woman who wants it...and if that one didn't work out..heck, just try a second one...

Sorry...you didnt understand what I said...maybe my wording was wrong...anyway my friend has met someone that just happend to have things not work out with her fiancee and she also got approved for a visa with that person....that is another person besides my friend. My friend has never petitioned anyone and is not jumping from one to the next. Plus I dont think anyone is out there just clogging up the system...it cost too much money and time to make that a hobby. Im not sure what happened in that relationship but Im sure there were reasons maybe good maybe bad. Not my call.

Edited by niceguy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

oh boy :blink:

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
oh boy :blink:

Ooops - damn those computers and their pesky memories! Such tangled webs woven in this visa world, no?

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Op, you don't have to explain furher, the not-so-misinformed answer is still the same. "No"

He/she can marry anyone they want but the Visa process starts over.

Rant Directed Towards "Maturity-Police" and Trolls Edited by Poster...

avatar_5167.gif Is It Happy Hour Yet?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You aren't serious, are you?

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

OK OK well if you all much know my life...my friend is my X fiancée. Last time I posted about this I took so much heat I embellished this part of my story a bit because it’s a different story. This involves me only because it’s my petition that got her that visa and im not out collecting fiancé’s buy any means...even though I found out about her problems she is still my friend and I still help her financially but I have chosen not to marry her because of these issues of mental heath. Now since my last post I tried to see if I could cancel the visa but it cant be canceled and now she has meet another person here in the US that wants to have her come here to marry using the visa I petitioned for her and you know if it would work...I would allow her to come but I was pretty certain it wouldn’t work but I thought I would come here to see what I could come up with. I told her that wont work but I want her to read it bold face that it can’t work that way so she wont just do it. Hey I have no control to stop her if this other person buys her a ticket right? I have tried to find something that spells it out in an easy to read way but I have been unable to find something I felt she would understand. She doesn’t speak good English and doesn’t understand that the laws are so stick here. So I apologize to all here for not telling the whole story but it’s my person business right….and I didn’t come here to just be judged….just to get an answer. I already pretty much knew the answer but I have not been though the citizenship part of the process or completed the fiancée for that fact. So I wasn’t sure what happens on this end once the fiancée arrives…it just sound like there not much control once there here…so maybe she could marry another for all I know. They can do what ever they want at that point of entry….well until there caught and sent back. I just thought that there maybe someway to make that work for her but like I said….I didn’t think so and I just wanted her to realize that too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

"So I apologize to all here for not telling the whole story but it’s my person business right….and I didn’t come here to just be judged….just to get an answer."

Dude, come on. Be realistic. You knew the answer before you posted. You may face some serious fines/jail time if you knowingly allow immigration fraud to be carried out - especially when you are DIRECTLY implicated in the visa she is holding. Call the embassy and tell them the story. You say you want to protect your kids, so don't ruin yourself financially or get sent to jail for something as open-and-shut as this situation.

Then why don't you take some time off from the wife hunt and from her husband hunt and just focus on your life here and let things take their course.

Or at the very least, next time, if you don't like the snarky replies from people miffed about your rather obvious question at the start, DON'T OFFER MORE INFO THAT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK EXTRA DODGY. We don't know who you are in real life, so whatever is said here, you really shouldn't take to heart. Collect the offered information and get on with your life.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.