K1 visa...can you just marry anyone?

95 posts in this topic

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
"So I apologize to all here for not telling the whole story but it’s my person business right….and I didn’t come here to just be judged….just to get an answer."

Dude, come on. Be realistic. You knew the answer before you posted. You may face some serious fines/jail time if you knowingly allow immigration fraud to be carried out - especially when you are DIRECTLY implicated in the visa she is holding. Call the embassy and tell them the story. You say you want to protect your kids, so don't ruin yourself financially or get sent to jail for something as open-and-shut as this situation.

Then why don't you take some time off from the wife hunt and from her husband hunt and just focus on your life here and let things take their course.

Or at the very least, next time, if you don't like the snarky replies from people miffed about your rather obvious question at the start, DON'T OFFER MORE INFO THAT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK EXTRA DODGY. We don't know who you are in real life, so whatever is said here, you really shouldn't take to heart. Collect the offered information and get on with your life.

So ture! Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I feel for ya buddy...

Feel for whom?

I don't feel anything for this guy aside from a strong desire for him to stop sharing his details here because he wants to make himself feel less guilty or more justified in the possible planned fraud.

Does no one out there raise an eyebrow even slightly over the rather obvious implication that this ex-fiance just wants to get to America, regardless of who she goes with? Yes, yes, love is crazy and wow, wouldn't it just be such a funny twist of fate if the next man with whom she fell in love just happened to be a US Citizen! Gosh - go figure. The lord works in mysterious ways.

I'm not saying there wasn't love there for the OP - but this is too much and it DOES add to the backlog. People get married for all kinds of reasons - some good, some bad. But c'mon, even if they aren't reasons I agree with, can't anyone just call this like they see it? I smell a rat - regardless of how giving he is to have supported her this whole time. Bad mojo, y'all. Bad mojo.

Edited by TimsDaisy

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

I feel for ya buddy...

Feel for whom?

I don't feel anything for this guy aside from a strong desire for him to stop sharing his details here because he wants to make himself feel less guilty or more justified in the possible planned fraud.

Does no one out there raise an eyebrow even slightly over the rather obvious implication that this ex-fiance just wants to get to America, regardless of who she goes with? Yes, yes, love is crazy and wow, wouldn't it just be such a funny twist of fate if the next man with whom she fell in love just happened to be a US Citizen! Gosh - go figure. The lord works in mysterious ways.

I'm not saying there wasn't love there for the OP - but this is too much and it DOES add to the backlog. People get married for all kinds of reasons - some good, some bad. But c'mon, even if they aren't reasons I agree with, can't anyone just call this like they see it? I smell a rat - regardless of how giving he is to have supported her this whole time. Bad mojo, y'all. Bad mojo.

Its a mess for sure and im not here for simpathy at all. I feel bad for her yes and I understand her desire to get out of where she is. There is so much more to this story that I have not shared or care to. Yes I want to help her and yes she shouldnt just marry to get out of there but I do understand her situation and motivation. Your are right about this I should call the embassy and tell them just incase she does leave. I was just hit with this when i arrived here at work this morning. So I wasnt quite sure what to do.

Timeline

Edited by TimsDaisy

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

I smell a rat - regardless of how giving he is to have supported her this whole time. Bad mojo, y'all. Bad mojo.

Supportive my rear! He's supporting her immigration fraud. He should be in prison for allowing it to even reach the interview process! This clearly should have been revoked before the interview and I dont wanna hear ####### about how he felt the need to make her look good in the eyes of the Manila Embassy. He let her go through with the interview WITH NO INTENTIONS OF MARRYING HER....he let her obtain a United States Fiance Visa WITH NO INTENTIONS OF MARRYING HER and he allowed her to enter the country WITH NO INTENTIONS OF MARRYING HER and let her hang out to meet this new guy after only 2.5 months! GIVE ME A BREAK! I apologized for offending him...now I think he's the one with the mental problem!

Edited by MRS BILLY BONG

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

What do you want...you wanted specific, complex immigration information...to give to your ex fiancee...who doesn't understand English. Were you planning on translating it?

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Timeline
Noone should be expected to take anyones word for gospel on here. Misinformation is given on these forums daily. Sometimes they are repeated so often that they become "visa legend" (kind of like urban legend).

I think it's wrong to belittle someone who asks for an official reference.

In this case, the holder of a K1 visa can only adjust status through marriage to the petitioner. Here's the reference:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...52bd97b8937ce80

8 CFR Part 245 ( c )(6)(i)

( c )Ineligible aliens . The following categories of aliens are ineligible to apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident alien under section 245 of the Act: (Added 10/1/94; 59 FR 51091 )

(6)Any alien admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant defined in section 101(a)(15)(K) of the Act, unless: (Revised 8/14/01; 66 FR 42587 ) (Amended effective 4/1/97; 62 FR 10312 )

(i) In the case of a K-1 fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(i) of the Act or the K-2 child of a fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(iii) of the Act, the alien is applying for adjustment of status based upon the marriage of the K-1 fiance(e) which was contracted within 90 days of entry with the United States citizen who filed a petition on behalf of the K-1 fiance(e) pursuant to § 214.2(k) of this chapter;

Thank you all that could answer with some maturity. I know it seem obvious but sometimes there are ways around the obvious so I came here to have get answers and inputs not to be belittled but as I have seen here allot of times before that some of you are just waiting to have you chance to put someone down...I think that is sad.... but not everyone is like that..so thanks to them!!

Aw man, Im sorry. That was a bit uncalled for but it just seems like such an obvious answer to someone who has frequented this forum in the past. I apologize for offending you.

I'll give you one thing, M.BB - you are certainly not reluctant to adapt your stance when required. And to passionately hold fast to the new one once adopted.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Biting my tongue too..feel the same way you do..was just being polite...I couldn't have said it much better than you did..

Edited by Karin und Otto

Noone should be expected to take anyones word for gospel on here. Misinformation is given on these forums daily. Sometimes they are repeated so often that they become "visa legend" (kind of like urban legend).

I think it's wrong to belittle someone who asks for an official reference.

In this case, the holder of a K1 visa can only adjust status through marriage to the petitioner. Here's the reference:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...52bd97b8937ce80

8 CFR Part 245 ( c )(6)(i)

( c )Ineligible aliens . The following categories of aliens are ineligible to apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident alien under section 245 of the Act: (Added 10/1/94; 59 FR 51091 )

(6)Any alien admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant defined in section 101(a)(15)(K) of the Act, unless: (Revised 8/14/01; 66 FR 42587 ) (Amended effective 4/1/97; 62 FR 10312 )

(i) In the case of a K-1 fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(i) of the Act or the K-2 child of a fiance(e) under section 101(a)(15)(K)(iii) of the Act, the alien is applying for adjustment of status based upon the marriage of the K-1 fiance(e) which was contracted within 90 days of entry with the United States citizen who filed a petition on behalf of the K-1 fiance(e) pursuant to § 214.2(k) of this chapter;

Thank you all that could answer with some maturity. I know it seem obvious but sometimes there are ways around the obvious so I came here to have get answers and inputs not to be belittled but as I have seen here allot of times before that some of you are just waiting to have you chance to put someone down...I think that is sad.... but not everyone is like that..so thanks to them!!

Aw man, Im sorry. That was a bit uncalled for but it just seems like such an obvious answer to someone who has frequented this forum in the past. I apologize for offending you.

I'll give you one thing, M.BB - you are certainly not reluctant to adapt your stance when required. And to passionately hold fast to the new one once adopted.

NO - Its one thing to cancel marriage plans once a foreign fiance is in the country ....I can understand that.....but to cancel marriage plans BEFORE the interview yet still proceed with the visa is a bunch of #######! Its FRAUD! Had I known about that prior thread I would have stuck my two cents in then as well! An apology was in order before I knew he was scammer!

Stay tuned for the next episode of "Days of our Visa Journeys"

Next episode...

This is getting blown out of proportion again...partly do to me I realize but mostly because nobody here knows all the in and outs of this case....I’m no rat and I'm not trying to commit fraud but if there was a way to help her in a legit way I would. We got thought the embassy legit...even though some are quick to use the term "fruad" It wasnt! All the paper submitted to the embassy were quite legit. I’m not an expert at this process..like most and I came here to get some input. Not to be judge but just like last time it seem like there are some that want to read in the worse things they can in to this story without know the whole story. Some here don’t make it easy to speak freely without rebuttal in a negative waythat is forsure. I know Allot here are frustrated and some are just ready to make you the bad guy assuming they know all and what is right....life doesn’t always happen right...we all make mistakes. I’m willing to admit it...I made it here and there.

I didn’t commit fraud at the embassy ether. There doctors there know the problem and the embassy knows about it too but they don’t know all and nether did I at that time of the visa was being issued. I found out everything after the visa was issued already and in the mail. After finding out everything I even went to discuss the issues with doctors here and sure didn’t give me any warm fuzzy feeling. If it were not for the kids I would have married her still!

Also I’m not try to go to jail for her but If I can help her I will. I just came here to ask a simple question...the answer did appear to me to a no brainier but sometimes there are ways that are not obvious but if it means me going to jail of course im not going to do it. I understand her recent pressures there and her reasons for wanting to get somewhere else. I knew she had found someone else too but I didn’t know they were talking about maybe trying to use the visa that was from my petition. Like I said before I plan to call the embassy about this and I already informed right after I read her email that I was sure that wouldn’t work because I was the one who petitioned. I think she will listen to what I say but I will still inform the embassy about it.

So pls all go back to your own problems…I have my answer….thanks…..i understand that most have good intension even if the comments are not….good luck to everyone going through the visa process. I know it’s hard and slow but that’s not my fault.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.