13 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Here my situation:
I'm in the US on a student visa and my boyfriend and I want to get married.
I'm living in New Jersey, he currently in New York but he will move to
Florida soon (in February). I want to follow him and move to Florida in 6 to 12 months (whenever I got the green card)
Here my questions:
1. What is the process to get married? What kind of documents do we both
need to bring to the appointment to get married? How much will it cost? How
long will it take? Can we get married before he moves to Florida?
2. After I'm married, I have to apply for the green card. How does that
work? How long will it take? How much will it cost? What kind of documents
do I need?
3. With the green card, do I get loans for the college?
4. Does it matter where I get married? For example, if we get married in New
York, will I be New York resident? I'm trying to become a Florida resident,
so the college fees won't be so high.

Thank you in advance!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Here my situation:

Florida soon (in February). I want to follow him and move to Florida in 6 to 12 months (whenever I got the green card)

Here my questions:

Not sure about other states but in Texas, you just go to the court house (no need for appointments). Normally there is a 72 hour waiting period but a judge can waive it for reasonable causes (we were both students with crazy schedules so our judge was very nice to waive it for us). We brought our driver's license and my birth certificate to the court house. It cost $72 and took about 30 mins to an hour. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get married before he moves to Florida.

do I need?

You don't "have to" apply for the green card. But of course obtaining LPR status has all kinds of benefits. You can check the guide of this forum which is very detailed for the green card process and the documents you need.

Once you get the green card, I believe you should be able to apply for financial ad and loans.

I don't think it matters where you get married. I'm not sure about Florida, but in Texas, you will have to have resided in the state for at least 12 months before you can become a resident. You have to show proof that you intend to reside in the state permanently such as apartment leases and paystubs.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Katherine93

08/13/2013 Came to the US on F1 visa

09/26/2013 Met my husband

11/03/2013 Started dating

03/11/2015 Got married at the court house

10/23/2015 Medical exam done

11/04/2015 AOS package mailed out by USPS priority (I130 & I145 concurrent filing)

11/06/2015 Packaged delivered to Chicago Lockbox

11/13/2015 Both checks cashed by USCIS

11/15/2015 Received text msg notification of receipts of I765, I131, I130 and I485

11/19/2015 Received NOA in mail

11/20/2015 Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail

12/04/2015 Biometrics appointment completed

12/09/2015 Case ready to be scheduled for interview

01/25/2016 Submitted online service request for EAD

01/27/2016 I765 case status updated to "New Card Being Produced"

01/28/2016 EAD officially approved and card has been mailed

02/03/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in the mail. YAY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10/27/2016 EAD/AP renewal application mailed USPS priority

10/29/2016 EAD/AP renewal package delivered to Chicago Lockbox (Saturday)

11/02/2016 Online case status updated to interview scheduled for December 8th

11/12/2016 New medical exam done due to one year validity

12/08/2016 AOS interview and case was APPROVED, new card is being produced

12/12/2016 Received Approval/welcome notice in the mail

12/16/2016 Received conditional green card in the mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01/31/2017 Filed for divorce (long story)

07/26/2017 Final divorce decree granted 

08/21/2017 i-751 with divorce waiver package mailed USPS priority 

08/28/2017 NOA/Extension letter received in mail 

11/01/2018 New card is being produced

11/02/2018 Case approved 

11/06/2018 Card has been mailed to me

11/08/2018 Received 10 year green card in mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/21/2022 Applied for N-400 Naturalization online. Bio-reuse. 

8/16/2022 Interview scheduled for 9/19

9/19/2022 Interview. Recommended for Approval 

10/12/2022 Oath Ceremony 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

You will need a lot of evidence to prove your in a bone fide marriage, especially if he is living in Florida, and you in New Jersey. So make sure you can provide proof of things like joint bank accounts/ co-mingling of finances/and responsibilities, joint car/health and or life insurance, listing each other as beneficiaries or emergency contacts, and a past lease if you currently live together etc, along with secondary evidence like photos, chat logs, affidavits from mutual friends/family members showing they know about your marriage. If you provide some/all of this evidence the process will go quicker and you will be less likely questioned about your intentions for getting a green card like the ability to work/get federal financial aid.

Here my situation:

Here my questions:

do I need?

Thank you in advance!

1) go to the local courthouse in the county you want to get married in and apply for a Marriage License. Then you follow the rules on the Marriage License and get Married and submit the completed and signed Marriage License to the proper authorities to have it recorded. Get several certified copies of the Marriage Certificate for future use.

2) Go to the guides here on VJ:http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 and follow the procedures for filing the I-130 and the I-485.

3) Depending on the bank and your situation, you could get a loan without the GC, but as a LPR it will be much easier.

4) Residency for colleges typically requires income for that state and residing in that state for a year and then you typically must apply to be considered a resident for tuition purposes even though you are already a resident of that state. The University does not want you to pay the cheaper resident rates and makes it very difficult to qualify unless you are already a resident of that state for the time period specified by the University before you apply to attend.

As a note: You will not be able to work nor leave and return to the US until you have your EAD/AP or GC so be prepared for the wait (this assumes you do not have work authorization currently with your student visa). You might want to go live with your future husband while waiting for the GC application to be processed. This will help show a bona fide relationship and help in establishing residency in FL so you qualify for in-state tuition rates sooner.

Dave

Timeline

1) go to the local courthouse in the county you want to get married in and apply for a Marriage License. Then you follow the rules on the Marriage License and get Married and submit the completed and signed Marriage License to the proper authorities to have it recorded. Get several certified copies of the Marriage Certificate for future use.

2) Go to the guides here on VJ:http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 and follow the procedures for filing the I-130 and the I-485.

3) Depending on the bank and your situation, you could get a loan without the GC, but as a LPR it will be much easier.

4) Residency for colleges typically requires income for that state and residing in that state for a year and then you typically must apply to be considered a resident for tuition purposes even though you are already a resident of that state. The University does not want you to pay the cheaper resident rates and makes it very difficult to qualify unless you are already a resident of that state for the time period specified by the University before you apply to attend.

As a note: You will not be able to work nor leave and return to the US until you have your EAD/AP or GC so be prepared for the wait (this assumes you do not have work authorization currently with your student visa). You might want to go live with your future husband while waiting for the GC application to be processed. This will help show a bona fide relationship and help in establishing residency in FL so you qualify for in-state tuition rates sooner.

Dave

When I'm applying for the green card, do I have to be inane visa? Because this is the problem: I have to study so I can be here. If I move to Florida, I would have to transfer but couldn't afford the college in Florida. Here in NJ I get help but not in Florida. So I'm stucked here until I have my green card. However, if I don't have to be on any visa, I can move to Florida easily.

When I'm applying for the green card, do I have to be inane visa? Because this is the problem: I have to study so I can be here. If I move to Florida, I would have to transfer but couldn't afford the college in Florida. Here in NJ I get help but not in Florida. So I'm stucked here until I have my green card. However, if I don't have to be on any visa, I can move to Florida easily.

Once you get married and file the I-130 and I-485 you do not need a visa to remain in the US. You can stay in NJ for school and your husband can be in FL, but it does make the marriage look more like it is for a GC and not for living with our spouse--you can over come this assumption, but just keep in mind you are not in the normal type of marriage category. You could move to FL and not go to college and wait for the GC. You need to be legally in the US at the time you file for the I-130 and I-485. After that you can let the visa lapse as you have a pending application and are in period of authorized stay until the application is adjudicated.

Dave

Timeline

So how Long will it take to file the 2 documents? I do prefer to not attend to school for the spring semester. To rather start this fall in Florida. But to do that I need to get financial aid and loans. Otherwise I can't afford it. So here is the problem: when we are married (how long does it take to get the process done?) and I file the 2 documents, I can stay in the US without a visa and can move to Florida without going to school or have a job? I would then apply for school in the fall semester.

Once you get married and file the I-130 and I-485 you do not need a visa to remain in the US. You can stay in NJ for school and your husband can be in FL, but it does make the marriage look more like it is for a GC and not for living with our spouse--you can over come this assumption, but just keep in mind you are not in the normal type of marriage category. You could move to FL and not go to college and wait for the GC. You need to be legally in the US at the time you file for the I-130 and I-485. After that you can let the visa lapse as you have a pending application and are in period of authorized stay until the application is adjudicated.

Dave

So how Long will it take to file the 2 documents? I do prefer to not attend to school for the spring semester. To rather start this fall in Florida. But to do that I need to get financial aid and loans. Otherwise I can't afford it. So here is the problem: when we are married (how long does it take to get the process done?) and I file the 2 documents, I can stay in the US without a visa and can move to Florida without going to school or have a job? I would then apply for school in the fall semester.

Timeline

If I'm married and don't have the green card yet, I can't go to back to my home country right? Also, can I work with being married but not having the green card?

Filed: Timeline

If I'm married and don't have the green card yet, I can't go to back to my home country right? Also, can I work with being married but not having the green card?

You shouldn't leave until you have an Advance Parole or the green card. You can't work until you get an EAD or the green card. You can apply for EAD and Advance Parole for free together with applying for AOS. It takes about 3 months to get EAD/AP.

Timeline

You shouldn't leave until you have an Advance Parole or the green card. You can't work until you get an EAD or the green card. You can apply for EAD and Advance Parole for free together with applying for AOS. It takes about 3 months to get EAD/AP.

What is EAD, AP and AOS? I'm sorry but I have no idea. So that takes 3 months and is for free?

Filed: Timeline

What is EAD, AP and AOS? I'm sorry but I have no idea. So that takes 3 months and is for free?

AOS = Adjustment of Status. I-485 is the form for applying for AOS.

EAD = Employment Authorization Document. You use I-765 to apply for it.

AP = Advance Parole. You use I-131 to apply for it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

please study the guide section, soonish, next, when logged in from a PC with internet access.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Once you file your adjustment of status application and USCIS receives it, you'll be in lawful authorized stay until it is adjudicated by USCIS after your interview with a decision even if you stop going to school. The whole process can take 3 to 6 months on average or even up to a year depending on how fast your local field office is back logged. Your advance parole (AP)/ Employment authorization document (EAD) should be issued within 60 to 90 days. With that you can work and travel while waiting for adjudication. To qualify for financial aid and student loans you'll have to be approved for permanent residency ( get your green card). To qualify for instate tuition you'll have to live as a permanent resident in that state for 12 months and be able show documentary evidence such as having a job, driver license or I'd, paying taxes etc.

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.