monicagc

Getting divorce and I don't know what to do

58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You need a green card to qualify for TANF and WIC. Your current status does not allow you to receive either benefits.

Although the Affidavit of Support has been submitted, it is only enforceable until after you get a green card.

We got WIC for my stepson who came on a K2 visa before he got his green card. At the WIC office, they told us it is not a means tested benefit and they give it out to anyone that meets the income requirements, even if you are illegally here.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

We got WIC for my stepson who came on a K2 visa before he got his green card. At the WIC office, they told us it is not a means tested benefit and they give it out to anyone that meets the income requirements, even if you are illegally here.

+1 to that

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just because a spouse is from overseas they don't get treated like dirt and shipped home like a rejected package. Florida is tough on husbands who want to act like jerks.

In Florida, a wife, until final divorce, is entitled at a minimum to temporary alimony until the divorce is settled. The legal requirement is that the jerkoff has to provide her enough support to maintain her standard of living, not just basic necessities. That means a place to stay, food, utilities, just as if she was living in his house. A cool bonus is If she can't afford an attorney, he gets stuck with her legal fees to boot.

Temporary alimony has nothing to do with a prenup. On this case? Even a bad lawyer would have a field day with this guy because she can't work leaving her fully dependent on her husband.

http://www.usattorneylegalservices.com/free-legal-aid-Florida.html

OP needs to locate and ask for an attorney to help her file. She should not allow herself to be dumped on a plane and shipped home leaving her married with no good way to divorce, finalize things, and move on. The dude owes her a divorce and until its finalized she's entitled to more than just basis necessities while she's waiting for it.

One cool case out of probably millions, where a husband appealed and lost -

When a Florida court considers whether to grant temporary alimony, it balances the needs of the requesting spouse against the other spouse’s ability to pay. Fonderson v. Lairap, 98 So. 3d 715, 717 (Fla. 2d DCA 2012), citing de Gutierrez v. Gutierrrez, 19 So.3d 1110 (Fla. 2d DCA 2009). In weighing the needs of the requesting spouse, the court also considers the parties’ standard of living. Id. Trial courts have broad discretion in deciding whether to award temporary alimony. Gutierrez, 19 So.3d at 1112-13. Even so, such decisions must be supported by competent, substantial evidence. Id., citing Driscoll v. Driscoll, 915 So.2d 771, 773 (Fla. 2d DCA 2005).

In Fonderson, the husband in a divorce proceeding appealed an order granting his former wife temporary alimony. On appeal, Florida’s Second District Court of Appeal held that the trial court did not abuse its discretion in granting the former wife alimony. The trial court found that the husband and his witness were not credible when describing the husband’s financial state. Fonderson, 98 So.3d at 718. The lower court noted that the husband had the ability to meet his obligations and that certain expenses he incurred were unnecessary. Id., citing Tomaszewski v. Tomaszewski, 793 So.2d 1156, 1158 (Fla. 4th DCA 2001)(finding that a negative cash flow, not being otherwise explained, reasonably supports an inference that a party’s earnings are greater than the party represents them to be); see also, Ugarte v. Ugarte, 608 So.2d 838 (Fla. 3d DCA 1992)(recognizing that a spouse’s ability to maintain a standard of living at a certain financial level is probative evidence of the spouse’s income).

The husband in Fonderson also argued that his former wife was highly educated and therefore capable of contributing to her support. However, the wife testified that she tried unsuccessfully to seek employment and the husband presented no evidence to contradict her testimony. Id. at 718. Finally, regarding the wife’s standard of living, the husband’s accountant testified that the wife needed only $1,617 per month after deducting what he described as “non-necessities” such as dry cleaning, maid service, clothing, gifts and vacations. Id. The trial court, however, rejected this evidence and instead found that the former wife “was entitled to keep some semblance of the standard of living to which she was accustomed during the marriage.” Id. Based on these findings, the appellate court affirmed the trial court’s award of temporary alimony to the wife.

Two points are worth mentioning regarding Fonderson. First, the court can consider evidence of the parties’ lifestyle in determining a spouse’s ability to pay alimony. Second, Fonderson reminds us that courts do not view temporary alimony merely as a way to provide for basic necessities. Instead, temporary alimony reflects a spouse’s right to maintain a standard of living comparable to the lifestyle that existed before commencement of the divorce proceeding.

Best post in this thread. Probably the most helpful to the OP and directly addresses her fundamental question of what to do.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Cases like this tick me off

Seriously-- me too.

OP, I know that you will do what is best for you and your son, and that may be returning to Costa Rica as quickly as possible. But please know that you are very likely entitled to more than just a plane ticket home, no matter what that prenup says. Don't go picking fights you don't want to engage in just on principle alone, but also know that it is not legally possible for this person to treat you however he wants to (cheating on you etc) and then threaten to withhold food and shelter if you don't like it. Life doesn't work that way here. From the sound of it, you may file for divorce and he has to support you for the duration of that divorce. And that prenup is likly not worth the paper it's written on. Anything that unfair or one-sided is often unenforceable (and, I may be wrong here but my understanding of the situation is that a requirement for a prenup is that they're fair otherwise no dice. Did you have your own independent legal counsel go over it with you? If not, it's probably not valid).

Again, I understand the impulse to just ditch this loser and go home as soon as possible and I support that choice if that is your choice. Just know that there ARE OPTIONS. He doesn't get to treat you like this.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Your husband is guilty of spousal abuse, emotional abuse and threats count. You are entitled to finish your adjustment of status based on the abuse. You can leave the cheater, get public housing, food stamps, and court mandated child support from the jerk based on his abuse of you. They will also fast track your green card and citizenship. There are free lawyers and support groups for battered wives, especially immigrant wives. If he abuses you he will abuse your children.

Engaged : 2011-06-16

1-129F sent to Lewisville,TX : 2015-06-03 Transferred to California Service Center on 2015-06-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2015-06-08 ( USCIS emailed us)

I-129F RFE : 2015-07-15 ( USCIS emailed us)

RFE Reply sent: 2015-07-23

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-08-04 (email)

l- 129F NOA2: 2015-08-10 ( hard copy) valid until Dec 3rd, 2015

NVC Received : 2015-08-24. ( we found out by calling)

NVC scanned from mail room: 2015-08-27 ( we found out by calling)

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2015-08-28 ( we found out by calling)

NVC Left : 2015-08-31 we found out at https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

Consulate Received :

September 2nd, 2015 Received by the U.S. Embassy in Costa Rica ( tracked by DHL website)

September 9th,2015 Visa status says Ready at CEAC website, US embassy processed it and updated it.

Packet 3 Received by email: 2015-09-11

September 14th, 2015

VDRL blood test ( Clinica Orlich)

Lung x- Ray ( Clinica Biblica Dr Willy Sancho)

OIJ criminal record certificate with Authentification

Paid $265 (144.425 colones ) k visa fee at www.ustraveldocs.com/cr

September 16th,2015 Physical test with Dr Franz Cheves Sell and immunization record completed

Interview Date : September 22nd,2015

Interview Result : APPROVED

Sept 23rd,2015: Visa status says "Administrative Processing" at CEAC website

Sept 24th, 2015: Visa status says "Issued" at CEAC website

Sept 25th,2015: Visa received. The Postal Office called me and ask to bring my id and copy to get my passport and package

Sept 29th,2015: US entry

Oct 1st, 2015: MARRIAGE. :)

October 5th,2015 : United States Uniformed Services ID

October 26th, 2015: Social security card( with married name)

November 2nd,2015 AOS filed sent $1070 check

November 11th 2015 NOA1

November27th, 2015 RFE

November 30th,2015 Biometrics

Jan 11th, 2016 AP sent. Jan 24th,2016 app returned( officer made a mistake)

February 4th,2016 info pass, humanitarian reason Advance Parole in the local USCIS office requested and received the same day

June 9th, 2016 Green card approved, no interview June 16th, 2016 GREEN CARD RECEIVED

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You can leave the cheater, get public housing, food stamps, and court mandated child support from the jerk based on his abuse of you. They will also fast track your green card and citizenship.

this is not true for any of it. Food stamps and public housing are still subject to a 5 year waiting period. Spousal support is not always a given, and citizenship is not expedited

Filed: Timeline

DV victims are eligible for assistance programs with no waiting period.

A number of public programs for low-income families exist that could be helpful to survivors of domestic violence. These federal programs are often administered at the state level, and families can go through local agencies, such as their local AFI agency, to apply. These benefits include federal tax credits, assistance through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP), the special feeding program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), public housing through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and services through Head Start. Increasingly, federal agencies are recognizing the importance of developing and implementing policies, procedures and staff training to ensure that domestic violence victims can safely access these federal benefits programs.

http://idaresources.acf.hhs.gov/page?pageid=a047000000DfWdU

You also qualify to apply for naturalization at 3 years if you were approved through VAWA.

--------

I dont really think any of this is applicable to the OP- USCIS has specific definitions of what is abuse and generally speaking one side being difficult in a divorce doesnt meet it.

The OP also has not posted back since. It does show they were last online last week- but no update on whether she left or is is proceeding with seeking temp alimony during the divorce as outlined above. I would encourage her to post back but I can understand why she may not.

Filed: Timeline

Lol, what you posted is true also. Its incredibly complex!

States receive federal funding for TANF, Medi-caid, and CHIP and those funds are only available to those who have completed five-year bar. SNAP is also federally funded and only for those that complete the bar.

About half of the states use state funds to provide the benefits above to battered immigrants with no bar. Not many use state funds for food stamps but there are some that do.

Looks like Mass isnt one of them. Thats unfortunate for victims there. No clue about Florida.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I had to read this thread twice. In the original post, I read that the husband was not "physically" unfaithful. He appeared to be having "emotional" affairs with women on line.

Having recently ended a long poor to mediocre marriage, I also surfed online throughout the marriage. I did not consider myself to be unfaithful.

Indeed, I endured until we were at a place where the divorce was not financially devastating.

Note that the initial ill-advised threat from the husband was if she challenged the pre-nup.

I am trying to visualize the situation prior to him asking her to leave. My vision is she was not being pleasant to him.

Not offering to provide food and shelter until she and the child get on the plane is really jerky, but I suspect there is a little more to this story than the OP has shared.

I suspect the situation is not quite as dire as she insinuates and the recommendations to follow the pre-nup are on point.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I had to read this thread twice. In the original post, I read that the husband was not "physically" unfaithful. He appeared to be having "emotional" affairs with women on line.

Having recently ended a long poor to mediocre marriage, I also surfed online throughout the marriage. I did not consider myself to be unfaithful.

Indeed, I endured until we were at a place where the divorce was not financially devastating.

Note that the initial ill-advised threat from the husband was if she challenged the pre-nup.

I am trying to visualize the situation prior to him asking her to leave. My vision is she was not being pleasant to him.

Not offering to provide food and shelter until she and the child get on the plane is really jerky, but I suspect there is a little more to this story than the OP has shared.

I suspect the situation is not quite as dire as she insinuates and the recommendations to follow the pre-nup are on point.

What does it matter if the husband was physically or emotionally having a affair? An affair is an affair no matter if they were physical or not.

Edited by Maria&Seve

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What does it matter if the husband was physically or emotionally having a affair? An affair is an affair no matter if they were physical or not.

I think biblical and legal precedence would disagree. This is irrespective of the opinion of the OP.

There is much more I could say here. This is not an easy issue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.