monicagc

Getting divorce and I don't know what to do

58 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

There is no I-864, OP does not have a green card. Lacking status, OP can not get TANF or WIC.

The reality is that OP and her son have no path to stay here. She can go home. The divorce can happen in the US or abroad.

Clarify this for me.

SO the I-864 presented to the consulate during interview is not enforceable?

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Thank you all for taking your time!!! Yes we filed affidavit of support and AOS but no green card yet. I will look into TANF WIC and food bank

No having a car it makes my situation harder cause I can't even go to an attorney to seek for help so I really appreciate your info thank you all

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Clarify this for me.

What I-864 at what consulate interview?

OP does not have a green card. Therefore, there is no I-864 that is enforceable.

OP arrived on a K-1. The I-134 is not enforceable. There is no I-864 for a K-1.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thank you all for taking your time!!! Yes we filed affidavit of support and AOS but no green card yet. I will look into TANF WIC and food bank

No having a car it makes my situation harder cause I can't even go to an attorney to seek for help so I really appreciate your info thank you all

You need a green card to qualify for TANF and WIC. Your current status does not allow you to receive either benefits.

Although the Affidavit of Support has been submitted, it is only enforceable until after you get a green card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Clarify this for me.

For K1 you fill in I-134, Affidavit of Support. It's not the same as the I-864.

Timeline

What I-864 at what consulate interview?

OP does not have a green card. Therefore, there is no I-864 that is enforceable.

OP arrived on a K-1. The I-134 is not enforceable. There is no I-864 for a K-1.

Got it...Thanks for clarifying that..

This sucks for OP...

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

Use the internet to your advantage. Getting an attorney is not cheap. If i remember you said you don't have food for you and your son but you can afford an attorney?

Save the little money you have for your ticket back home. You can deal with the divorce from there or you could let him deal with it.

Unless you are trying to get something out of this.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You need a green card to qualify for TANF and WIC. Your current status does not allow you to receive either benefits.

Although the Affidavit of Support has been submitted, it is only enforceable until after you get a green card.

This advice should always be qualified. There are states, or at least one state that I know of, that don't check for legal residency when signing people up for TANF and WIC. Strange, but true.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

He can't just throw you out sicne you are his wife. So don't let him bully you. When you came they didn't tell you that you don't have to endure abuse from the person bringing you here? You need to document and show proof of the abusive treatment.

The one downside of migrating for newcomers. The pressure to settle and 'threats' from 'scums' like OP's husband. Hopefully you make a reasonable decision that would best suit you and son in the long run.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OP ask him to buy your tickets to go back home and leave.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

2 posts removed for non constructive posts along with 1 quoting
one member thread banned.

please post constructively, do not make veiled insults towards the op.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Yes we have a prenup I don't get anything from him except plane ticketsand I agreed to that so I am not looking for money because my relationship was truthful and my feelings for him were real but I don't want to be threatened that I won't have food for me and my son or to be kicked out of his house because I have been faithful to him since day one

I don't deserve to be treated like garbage

I understand people ask me to just leave but it's gonna take me few days to prepare myself and my son

I just came here to this forum because he threatened me and I just wanted to know if he could the things he said he would do before I leave that's all

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yes we have a prenup I don't get anything from him except plane ticketsand I agreed to that so I am not looking for money because my relationship was truthful and my feelings for him were real but I don't want to be threatened that I won't have food for me and my son or to be kicked out of his house because I have been faithful to him since day one

I understand people ask me to just leave but it's gonna take me few days to prepare myself and my son

I just came here to this forum because he threatened me and I just wanted to know if he could the things he said he would do before I leave that's all

I'm not 100% if this applies in Florida (would be strange if it was different though) but as you two are married he can't throw you out of your home. Even if you're name is not on the house/apartment you're married and he can't kick you out as it's now your home too. You don't have to leave until you're divorced. I completely understand that it will take a few days for you and your son to leave.

Is there a shelter you can go to if you and your son does not feel safe with him?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I just came here to this forum because he threatened me and I just wanted to know if he could the things he said he would do before I leave that's al

You probably want to see an American divorce attorney before you return to your country. See if you can get a free initial consultation. Definitely show the attorney the pre-nuptial agreement. Get an opinion if the pre-nup has any holes in it. Also, any wealth he accumulated since you've been married to him might be part of any divorce settlement. Don't assume you get nothing.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.