Blablabla1212

Green card holder living overseas applying for N-400

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My friend is living overseas, he is married to a US citizen. He already has his green card through marriage. He wants to get his citizenship so he is planning a 1 year leave from his job overseas, move to USA for that 1 year with his family. He is asking if he qualifies with the time he has travelled in and out to keep his green card or he has to wait and live in USA as a resident for extended time? When would he be eligible?

Below is his outline of his immigration history

They got married on: March 9 2009

Baby 1 was born in: September 1 2010

Applied form I-130, petition for alien relative for himself and baby 1 on January 17 2011

Got an immigrant visa on March 31 2011 valid till September 29 2011

First visit to US as a family (himself, wife us citizen and baby 1) from April 10 2011 till May 09 2011

Conditional green card issued on April 10 2011 valid till April 10 2013

Baby 2 born in: August 12 2012

Baby 3 born in: October 5 2015

Visits to United States:

1) April 10 2011 - May 9 2011 (First visit with family mentioned above) (30 days)

2) October 4 2011 - October 14 2011 (11 days)

3) March 6 2012 - April 2 2012 (all family) (28 days)

4) September 25 2012 - October 2 2012 (8 days)

5) February 19 2013 - March 1 2013 (Himself and wife) (11 days)

6) March 21 2013 - March 28 2013 (8 days)

7) January 21 2014 - February 11 2014 (22 days)

8) March 26 2014 - March 28 2014 (3 days)

TOTAL DAYS IN US: 121 days

Unconditional green card: received on March 3 2014 Valid till March 3 2024

Traveling Document (White Passport) issued on: July 15 2014 valid till July 14 2016. He applied for this because the immigration officer at port of entry noticed he is not staying in USA and threatened to take away green card if he doesn't apply for travel document.

I don't know if he qualifies to apply for citizenship yet, if so when? He has no applied for any income taxes since becoming a resident as he made no income in USA.

He does not intend to stay living in USA, he wants to keep his job overseas that allows him a 1 year unpaid leave.

What are his options if he doesn't qualify? Can he renew white passport indefinitely? His aim is to not loose his Greencard if he stays over 1 or 2 years overseas, the yearly trips are expensive.

Thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

He must be filing tax returns as a LPR. So that will have to be taken care of no matter what. US taxes on worldwide income. There are treaties about not being double taxed. But he must file a return.

He's in danger of losing the green card. Citizenship seems a long way off.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Citizenship%20&%20Naturalization%20Based%20Resources/A%20Guide%20to%20Naturalization/PDFs/M-480.pdf

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

I have mentioned to him the need to file taxes, he plans to visit soon so will convince him to file all past years.

Please be specific how far is he from citizenship if he moves to USA May 2016.

If he doesn't move and forgets about citizenship for now as he does have a 10 year Greencard, will he loose it if he doesn't travel yearly or every 6 months?

Thank you

In my opinion, should he file for citizenship in a couple of months, he is in real jeopardy of having the permanent resident status revoked.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have mentioned to him the need to file taxes, he plans to visit soon so will convince him to file all past years.

If he doesn't move and forgets about citizenship for now as he does have a 10 year Greencard, will he loose it if he doesn't travel yearly or every 6 months?

Thank you

LPR = permanent resident of the US. This is the process for formally relinquishing it: http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/abandon.html

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thank you

How far? At least three years. Tell your friend and his wife to move the family to the US as he is a permanent resident of the US and not a visitor - love how he lists all his VISITS to the US. Very surprised USCIS hasn't yanked his green card already.

Also taxes - he's taxed on worldwide income (first 90k deducted if earned abroad not in US-gov't employ) so he better get that squared away. With three kids, there could be some refunds too.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obamacare might cost a bit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Right now his biggest priority should be to keep his green card. Given how he is basically using it as a tourist visa right now it wouldn't surprise me if CBP asked him to voluntarily relinquish it whenever he next attempts to visit. If he declines then CBP could issue him with a Notice To Appear in immigration court where they would ask an immigration judge to revoke his green card due to abandonment.

If someone isn't living in the US then they aren't entitled to a green card.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

A green card requires a person to LIVE IN THE US to keep it.

The reason CBP threaten to take your friend's green card is because your friend IS NOT LIVING IN THE US AS REQUIRED to keep his green card.

Google "maintaining legal permanent residency."

Reasons a person can lose a green card before it expires.

1. Living permanently abroad

2. Not filing US tax returns.

US taxes on worldwide income so it does't matter that your friend has no US income. He still is required to file US tax returns in his foreign income.

Your friend is not going to get US citizenship anytime some. He needs to be physically present in the US to start qualifying. Citizenship is at least three years away if he moves to the US and stay here for 3 years.

If your friend wants to continue living overseas, then he risk losing his green card.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Physical Presence

Applicants are required to show that they were:

• Physically present in the U.S. for thirty months within the five year period before applying, or (see legal basis)
  • Physically present in the U.S. for eighteen months within the three year period before applying in the case of qualified spouses of U.S. citizens (see legal basis)

In addition, applicants are required to show they have resided for at least three months immediately preceding the filing of Form N-400 in the USCIS district or state where the applicant claims to have residency (See 8 CFR §316.2(a)(5) & §319.1(a)(5))

Source: http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/continuous-residence-and-physical-presence-requirements-naturalization

So one year in the US probably won't do it. And he is probably going to lose his green card since he is not complying with the requirements of being an LPR. His re-entry permit and if he lives here for a year might save him but he needs to get on the tax thing ASAP. Question: Why did he get a green card if he never intended to live in the US?

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

Agreed with belinda63 of:

• Physically present in the U.S. for thirty months within the five year period before applying, or (see legal basis)
  • Physically present in the U.S. for eighteen months within the three year period before applying in the case of qualified spouses of U.S. citizens (see legal basis)

An example is my mother, when she applied for citizenship first in 2010 she was denied based on not qualifying under the three year period with the first year being 2008 when she wasn't in the US at least 183 days that year. In 2011 she applied again and was approved.

Your friend is a long way off from citizenship based on the requirements if he plans to continue working outside of the US and also not filing returns.

My Journey

Priority Date: July 24, 2007 (EAC)

AOS fee paid: February 2013

Request embassy change: May 2013

Son born: September 2013 (added to petition March 2014)

Interview: March 17, 2015 (Joint sponsor needed)

Joint sponsor documents submitted: April 27, 2015

Visas approved and issued: April 30, 2015. Had to return to embassy to do oath for son :)

Visa in hand: May 5, 2015 (two working days after issued)

IV fees paid: August 10, 2015

POE: JFK - September 10, 2015 (one day before visa expiry date - No hassle)

Returned to Barbados: September 28, 2015

Green cards: October 5, 2015 :dancing:

Entered US permanently: March 22, 2016

Applied for SSNs: March 28, 2016 (didn't tick box on DS-260)

SSN received: April 4, 2016;

Learner's permit: April 7, 2016 (in NY you also have to do 5-hour class);

Driver's License: July 13, 2016 (on first try) :dancing:

Husband's Journey (F2A)

Married: September 2015

I-130 sent: October 8, 2015 (via USPS)

Priority date: October 9, 2015 (WAC)

Petition approved: March 8, 2016 (5 months to the date of receipt) :)

NVC Welcome Letter: May 13, 2016
AOS documents sent: August 8, 2016
Case complete: September 14, 2016 (the waiting continues
:clock:).

Interview:  October 5, 2017 (Approved - Issued following day :))

Visa in hand:  October 12, 2017

POE:  October 13, 2017

Green card:

SSN:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.