kingjulian

Report rude consular officers

116 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Why do you Americans think everybody is desperate to come to America. First of all my husband is migrating here because I want to be here. If it was up to my husband we would be living in Ghana or Europe. He is a ex-footballer who has the ability to live any place other than America or Ghana. I am the one who is privileged for meeting and marrying such a wonderful man who has taught me many things. Especially there are more things in life than America. If he cannot get a visa we will still be ok.

I don't think that Maria is saying that everyone wants to move here. What I think that she is saying is that immigration PERIOD, ANYWHERE is a privilege. You don't exactly hear people stating "doors open, come on in, here's your passport and citizenship" when you enter a new country. It's a priviledge that you must qualify for.

Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Why do you Americans think everybody is desperate to come to America. First of all my husband is migrating here because I want to be here. If it was up to my husband we would be living in Ghana or Europe. He is a ex-footballer who has the ability to live any place other than America or Ghana. I am the one who is privileged for meeting and marrying such a wonderful man who has taught me many things. Especially there are more things in life than America. If he cannot get a visa we will still be ok.

First of all I'm Swedish.

Second my post had nothing to do with the desperation of people immigration. My post is about people thinking they have a right to come immigrate to whatever country they want, the US or any other country. It is not. It is a privilege.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I don't think that Maria is saying that everyone wants to move here. What I think that she is saying is that immigration PERIOD, ANYWHERE is a privilege. You don't exactly hear people stating "doors open, come on in, here's your passport and citizenship" when you enter a new country. It's a priviledge that you must qualify for.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant! I wasn't just talking about America. I was talking about any country and that we should be happy to be welcome to America if that's where we're going. Or if we're moving somewhere else we should be happy and feel privileged that we have been given the opportunity to immigrate to that country.

Edited by Maria&Seve

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Yes, this is a great idea about going in with a notebook. Would it be legal to record the interview? That's what I plan to do once my husband's case gets back to USCIS, and I understand why he was denied (though I have a feeling I know why).

I believe that these COs play with sending the applications back and forth just to see which couples will stay together.

I've always paid my taxes and been proud to be a USC, I used to condemn those who condemned the government. In my naivete, I didn't know what really goes on. Now I see the type of people they employ and how they can really mess with people's lives.

My husband wasn't even that keen on coming to the USA, it was me who didn't want to live in Ghana. I make more money here, and have my career and contacts.

I will sign a letter. Please post it so we can read it and do something about this awful situation with the embassy in Accra.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As far as I know there is nothing in the code prohibiting the use of a notebook and pen to write during the interview. They definitely won't like it. Your significant other may have to write notes rather than slow things up. If asked I would just tell them you want to write in your diary/journal about this important event.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Well seems like we have another consular officer here. I don't fully agree with all that you have said. its true that the fraud rate in Ghana is high but that doesn't necessarily mean every ghanaian iv applicant or majority of them should be denied? can you please explain how that a couple who have known each other for years. have kids and have joint properties are denied just because the man or woman didn't know an answer to one or two questions. .I understand that due to the high level of fraud, it makes your work tough but I also believe you guys should have a more robust system in place to effectively award visas to deserving couples rather than mixing the genuine ones with the fake

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

and also to say " ghana will never be on the vwp is more like saying there can never be changes..well just know that Africa and ghana for that matter is gaining grounds to take over the world's economy. soon America and most of the developed countries can't function properly without Africa. .There and then are we going to know if the u.s will put us on the vwp.perhaps the u.s will be going through so much stress just to obtain a ghanaian visa

Timeline

Yes, this is exactly what I meant! I wasn't just talking about America. I was talking about any country and that we should be happy to be welcome to America if that's where we're going. Or if we're moving somewhere else we should be happy and feel privileged that we have been given the opportunity to immigrate to that country.

Nobody is saying not to be happy. But people should not have to give up their dignity or kiss behind for a visa.

Timeline

kingjulian: I am going to out on a limb and suggest that you (a) have never been a CO and (b) have not personally monitored the interviewing at all of the embassies in Africa.

Therefore, your opinions about what goes on there is, well, without facts.

Countries in which visa fraud is rampant only make it more challenging for COs when it comes time to render a decision. While many complain about 'fairness' and 'rudeness', what they likely really mean is that the CO isn't fair if a denial takes place (same for rudeness)...do any of you have absolute proof of any of your statements beyond hearsay? I thought so.

A CO has had weeks of training, more weeks of experience interviewing long before they are assigned to the IV section (in most cases). Their denials, even under 221g, are reviewed by a more senior consular officer.

As far as taking notes, etc, a USC spouse will only be permitted to attend an interview at the option of the CO...there is no legal right to do so. And while a USC has a right to submit a petition, no foreign born spouse has a right to a visa. Big difference.

The COs can ask just about any question they wish of an applicant. And while they are not supposed to outright lie, they can, under certain circumstances, be somewhat obtuse in their questioning. If I had been handed fake documents, which I had not verified as yet of being fake, if the applicant told me ' that piece of paper is from my employer, saying I make this much or have this title..' or if I had been handed a (likely) fake diploma (usually when doing DV applications), I might have said, 'well, I have a letter from the university that says something different..' (which was true, I did have a letter from that university...of course, it might have been nothing more than a welcome letter or something, but a letter I did have..) and sometimes the applicant, fearful of being denied permanently, might own up to the fake papers. Now some of you might think that was tricky, on the other hand, who was trying to commit fraud against the USG? Certainly not me.

Yep...the applicant was.

Documents were reviewed and often verified long before the applicant hit the window...and I cannot tell you how much fraud is out there....I only remember from my assignments in different 'developing' countries (never served in Africa, but heard countless stories from colleagues)....

A favorite ploy was to submit photos that allegedly claimed that the couple had met or been together numerous times....and many of those were photo-shopped! How did I know? Easy. The planet earth has, last time I checked, only one sun. So where on the planet can two people, alleged standing or sitting together, cast shadows in two different directions? Answer. Nowhere.

Once one piece of 'questionable' evidence is noticed, well, the case is not going to get better quickly.

And as I said before, a CO, doing an IV interview, is about to hand over permanent residency to someone....and I personally wanted to make doubly sure that my decision was correct. If it took some additional time, or if I could not approve the application, then I either asked for more evidence or sent the thing back, marked, 'not clearly approvable' and let USCIS deal with it.

There are lots of ways a CO can attempt to get to the truth...one technique I used was to wander the waiting area, listening or watching 'couples' waiting in line. Genuine relationships generate body language that phony ones don't. Conversations often were last minute answers to presumed questions....if I heard robotic, memorized answers, well, that case was likely to be send back. None of these techniques are perfect, but then, the applicant pool is far from perfect.

Scandinavian countries are part of the VWP....why? Because their citizenry has an infinitesimal visa abuse and fraud rate. Ghana, well, is not on the VWP and will never be, because the visa abuse rate is sky high. Blame the troubles on those who abused the privileges or tried to commit fraud a fairly high percentage of the time. It's not the CO's fault.

??Why didn't you just say so anyone applying for a visa for their spouse or fiancée doesn't deserve one! ??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Save your tongue until after you receive the visa then complain about the system. It's rather dangerous to piss of the one who issues the visa regardless of how much pride you have to swallow.

The process sucks for genuine relationships but we can blame all the fraudulent cases before not just Ghana but everywhere that has made it tough on everyone going through the immigration process.

Edited by cyclone27

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: Timeline

I think you need to re-read what I posted...I never said that an individual does not deserve a visa....only that one must meet the requirements for said visa, and that COs are the only empowered people to issue a visa...other people are not, including: aggrieved USC spouses, congressmen or senators, neighbors, immigration attorneys, the local mayor, etc...

now, with that power comes considerable responsibility to mete out that authority as fairly as possible (which does not mean granting visas wholesale)...and yes, that may vary amongst different COs...sad, but true.

As far as 'corrupt' COs, well, in the past 15 years, there have been about 8 or 9 altogether who have been caught...that's out of thousands...not a very high percentage.

As far as Ghana joining the VWP, well, that's far in the future, at least as far as the US is concerned....

Just look at the quality of life between Ghana and, say, Sweden....big difference. Huge difference.

Percentage of Swedes abusing visas: about .001%

Percentage of Ghanians abusing visas: about 40% - another huge difference.

Fraudulent documents presented in Sweden: non-existent.

Ghana: you guess.

Most of the troubles people have are due to their own countrymen having fooled around during the visa process...not the fault of the CO.

As to why a long time married couple may be having difficulties may well depend on factors we were not apprised of...or, an inexperienced CO...hard to say. Ideally, it should not happen, but I have seen a lot of strange things...including, bringing along children who don't belong to the couple, being passed off as their own....that is a big problem.

While the COs as a group may not be blame-free, the majority of blame falls on the fraudsters who have paved the way rather poorly for their successors.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Not about Gana but I´ll say what I´m doing for a Port of Entry...

By the law and like they say by their records, USCIS is about to receive the solo I-212 at the port of entry that I was removed, acordilly to the ban that I received.

I´m trying to do this it´s been a month already... The Senator Liaison was rude with my lawyer and didn´t resolved... You know what I´m doing?

I´m opening a federal process on them... It will take long, but I´ll make them realize that I´m not stupid and my lawyer either...

I can´t explain what I´m feeling about this... I´ll be away from my husband longer because they are not respecting their own protocols... They will have it back... Maybe for the future they will think twice to do that...

So sorry your going through this pain I know exactly how you feel. It is possibly to date the worst time in my life. :(:cry:

My wife dislikes living in the US

So much for the "desperate to marry for a green card" theory..

This is very true no one realizes how many return home and I'm talking legal here. This like everything is not for everyone.

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

kingjulian: I am going to out on a limb and suggest that you (a) have never been a CO and (b) have not personally monitored the interviewing at all of the embassies in Africa.

Therefore, your opinions about what goes on there is, well, without facts.

Countries in which visa fraud is rampant only make it more challenging for COs when it comes time to render a decision. While many complain about 'fairness' and 'rudeness', what they likely really mean is that the CO isn't fair if a denial takes place (same for rudeness)...do any of you have absolute proof of any of your statements beyond hearsay? I thought so.

A CO has had weeks of training, more weeks of experience interviewing long before they are assigned to the IV section (in most cases). Their denials, even under 221g, are reviewed by a more senior consular officer.

As far as taking notes, etc, a USC spouse will only be permitted to attend an interview at the option of the CO...there is no legal right to do so. And while a USC has a right to submit a petition, no foreign born spouse has a right to a visa. Big difference.

The COs can ask just about any question they wish of an applicant. And while they are not supposed to outright lie, they can, under certain circumstances, be somewhat obtuse in their questioning. If I had been handed fake documents, which I had not verified as yet of being fake, if the applicant told me ' that piece of paper is from my employer, saying I make this much or have this title..' or if I had been handed a (likely) fake diploma (usually when doing DV applications), I might have said, 'well, I have a letter from the university that says something different..' (which was true, I did have a letter from that university...of course, it might have been nothing more than a welcome letter or something, but a letter I did have..) and sometimes the applicant, fearful of being denied permanently, might own up to the fake papers. Now some of you might think that was tricky, on the other hand, who was trying to commit fraud against the USG? Certainly not me.
Yep...the applicant was.

Documents were reviewed and often verified long before the applicant hit the window...and I cannot tell you how much fraud is out there....I only remember from my assignments in different 'developing' countries (never served in Africa, but heard countless stories from colleagues)....

A favorite ploy was to submit photos that allegedly claimed that the couple had met or been together numerous times....and many of those were photo-shopped! How did I know? Easy. The planet earth has, last time I checked, only one sun. So where on the planet can two people, alleged standing or sitting together, cast shadows in two different directions? Answer. Nowhere.

Once one piece of 'questionable' evidence is noticed, well, the case is not going to get better quickly.

And as I said before, a CO, doing an IV interview, is about to hand over permanent residency to someone....and I personally wanted to make doubly sure that my decision was correct. If it took some additional time, or if I could not approve the application, then I either asked for more evidence or sent the thing back, marked, 'not clearly approvable' and let USCIS deal with it.

There are lots of ways a CO can attempt to get to the truth...one technique I used was to wander the waiting area, listening or watching 'couples' waiting in line. Genuine relationships generate body language that phony ones don't. Conversations often were last minute answers to presumed questions....if I heard robotic, memorized answers, well, that case was likely to be send back. None of these techniques are perfect, but then, the applicant pool is far from perfect.

Scandinavian countries are part of the VWP....why? Because their citizenry has an infinitesimal visa abuse and fraud rate. Ghana, well, is not on the VWP and will never be, because the visa abuse rate is sky high. Blame the troubles on those who abused the privileges or tried to commit fraud a fairly high percentage of the time. It's not the CO's fault.

What is VWP?

I'm not negating the fact that being a CO has to be difficult and often
not pleasant. But I don't see why you have the right to be rude and
nasty to US citizens. After my visit to the Cairo Embassy I understood
why you have such a thick slab of Plexiglas in front of where CO's
stand.

Tell me why an old man can marry/fiance a 18 year old and get a Visa
with no problem? Two gay guy's one in his late 80's get a fiance Visa
for his 18 year old Moroccan lover?
But a married couple who lived together for two years (me) and had
to return to take care of my parents were denied because the CO
believed we were not a bona fide marriage?
But gave Visa's to couples that met online, met in person and married
right away, stayed for two weeks and returned home yet they are a
bona fide marriage. How do you explain this?

Neither of us had ever been married before I was a virgin and proud
of it. I am Catholic he is Muslim, his record obviously clean but they don't
believe us, REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm beyond furious, they don't have
a word to describe how betrayed I feel. We did everything the right way,
my husband is highly educated the ones I know as above are not.

I could say more but my experience on this forum has not always been a
good one so not giving all my information out.

Have a nice day and thank you for coming here and letting us know your
side of this nightmare. :( I wish CO's like the one we had could see the truth
and not guide himself by prejudice and bigotry.

And no I've never been a CO obviously just been on the receiving end of their

smart ### attitude. :D

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Timeline

I think you need to re-read what I posted...I never said that an individual does not deserve a visa....only that one must meet the requirements for said visa, and that COs are the only empowered people to issue a visa...other people are not, including: aggrieved USC spouses, congressmen or senators, neighbors, immigration attorneys, the local mayor, etc...

now, with that power comes considerable responsibility to mete out that authority as fairly as possible (which does not mean granting visas wholesale)...and yes, that may vary amongst different COs...sad, but true.

As far as 'corrupt' COs, well, in the past 15 years, there have been about 8 or 9 altogether who have been caught...that's out of thousands...not a very high percentage.

As far as Ghana joining the VWP, well, that's far in the future, at least as far as the US is concerned....

Just look at the quality of life between Ghana and, say, Sweden....big difference. Huge difference.

Percentage of Swedes abusing visas: about .001%

Percentage of Ghanians abusing visas: about 40% - another huge difference.

Fraudulent documents presented in Sweden: non-existent.

Ghana: you guess.

Most of the troubles people have are due to their own countrymen having fooled around during the visa process...not the fault of the CO.

As to why a long time married couple may be having difficulties may well depend on factors we were not apprised of...or, an inexperienced CO...hard to say. Ideally, it should not happen, but I have seen a lot of strange things...including, bringing along children who don't belong to the couple, being passed off as their own....that is a big problem.

While the COs as a group may not be blame-free, the majority of blame falls on the fraudsters who have paved the way rather poorly for their successors.

I was reading the consulars are not supposed to reajudicate petitions. They are supposed to only act on new information uscis had no knowledge of.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.