70 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

Well, I've been here in Texas for 3 months now and I'm still finding it really difficult to adjust. It isn't helped by the fact my husband goes away for weeks at a time for work and we're both new to Austin so no network to speak of.

I guess, for me as a British person in particular, you don't realise how huge the cultural differences will be because we're so exposed to American TV/film/music/literature, we speak the same language, dress similarly etc that you think we're largely the same - we're not!

The people I've met so far have been great, but Texas in particular is very Christian and right wing. We moved to Austin because it's more liberal and has the 'Keep Austin Weird' thing that really appealed to us but so far the people I've met have been taken aback by the fact I'm a left leaning environmentalist with a passion for social justice. There are areas of liberalism, but perhaps just not where we live / I work. People say things to me sometimes and I'm just taken aback at how prejudiced and judgmental they are - it's like 50 years behind Europe in some ways!

The other thing I can't get my head around is how racially segregated things still are in the U.S. There are 'black neighbourhoods' and 'black colleges' and people seem aware of specifically race related characteristics that definitely weren't as front and centre in Cardiff as they are here!

I'm really worried about not doing well at work. I work in the nonprofit sector but was given some feedback recently that I'm not pushy enough and 'too British'! Has anyone else struggled with this kind of adjustment? As it stands right now, I just want to go home! :(

I-130 petition mailed (DCF) - Feb 6, 2015

NOA1 received - Feb 10, 2015

RFE received - Mar 13, 2015

RFE reply sent - Mar 14, 2015

NOA2 received - Mar 20, 2015

LND Number received - April 8, 2015

Booked medical - April 9, 2015

Packet 3 returned - April 11, 2015

Medical - April 20, 2015

Packet 4 received - April 29, 2015

Interview - May 29, 2015: APPROVED!

POE Dallas Fort Worth - June 10, 2015

Moved from Lake Texoma to Austin, TX - June 29, 2015

Got TX Drivers License - July 9, 2015

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am truly sorry you are having issues! I hope this might help in telling you that not all of the US is that way. We often refer to Texas as its own country so you have to adjust more than others who move to different states. I hope that you will be able to find some comfort and somewhere to fit in down there and that your homesickness will lessen. If you need someone to chat at, feel free to P.M. me :) I'm the US citizen BTW :star:

This journey isn't easy...we went over many hurdles along the way... We are together now, 4 years going strong... It's never impossible, it is a matter of having the strength and love to conquer all things along the way! 

(K-1 Process)(I 601 Waiver Process)(AOS, EAD & AP)

June 13th 2015- Filed 1-129f

June 19th 2015- NOA1 Received!

July 21st 2015- NOA2 Received!

August 10th 2015- NVC Received!

August 17th 2015- Case # Received over phone!

August 21st 2015- Embassy in Sydney Received!

August 27th 2015- Packet 3 Received!

August 29th 2015- Police Fingerprinting Done!

September 1st 2015- Packet 4 Received!

September 15th 2015- Interview in Sydney!

September 18th 2015- Medical in Brisbane!

September 23rd 2015- Letter from Medical Received!

October 17th 2015- CEAC changed to refused 

October 17th - November 10th 2015- emails and phone calls placed to embassy to inquire on our case

November 12th 2015- Email from embassy confirming refusal with news that we qualify for a waiver!

November 18th 2015- Received package from embassy on our denial and waiver information

March 7th 2016- I-601 Waiver overnighted to lockbox

March 8th 2016- I-601 Waiver delivered to lockbox and received (According to Website)

March 12th 2016- I-601 Waiver received (Text and email message verifying)

November 2016- Sent inquiry on I-601 (Was told it was still in line, contact in 60 days if no decision made)

January 31st 2017- Called NCSC to talk to tier 2 officer. Was informed it was with an officer and a decision should be made in 15 days

February 9th 2017- USCIS updated our case to approved! (February 8th was the date listed) 

February 12th 2017- Received updated instructions

February 13th 2017- Received official approval letter in the mail/ Booked medical in Brisbane. 

February 20th 2017- Medical in Brisbane

February 27th 2017- Picked up Medical Packet

February 28th 2017- Second interview and immediate approval! 

March 6th, 2017- K-1 Visa Issued

March 16th 2017- He arrives home : POE LAX 

May 27th 2017- We are finally married! 

June 13th 2017- AOS, EAD and AP go out in the mail

June 19th 2017- NOA 1 for AOS, EAD and AP 

Thank you! Texans really are a breed unto themselves! I really just feel so like a fish out of water and like I'm really obviously different.

If my husband was around more it may be easier but he's a musician and by the end of this year we'll only have spent 6 weeks together at home because of his tour schedule. At least if I was in Wales still I'd have friends / family around... Sorry, I'm being a bit pitiful and sorry for myself!

Medical - April 20, 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will never get your head around the 'obvious' racial segregation, its a joke that the US regards itself as a melting pot, there's no melting, there are pockets of people from various racial groups...I was as shocked as you when I moved here from Canada 8 yrs ago...I went through what my husband lovingly refers to as my 'I hate America' phase about 3-5 months in. The food sucked (I could never find certain things readily available back home and the taste was dreadful), customer service sucked at stores and restaurants, people's attitudes sucked...it was like everyone loved to hate on some group. It didn't feel comfortable here, I felt like I couldn't be my usual jovial, Canadian self.

And Politics?? OMG - heaven forbid we have friendly banter at lunch, no such thing here...it must be a fight to the death and you MUST take sides!

It really helped me once I encountered like minded people through work, what a relief! Many times I've found myself more comfortable with other immigrants who have an actual perspective about the world.

Remember, these are my opinions and impressions....please no one bother to try to argue the points I made.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Houston is way better I guess

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Rest assured that homesickness is prevalent and is very, very natural. When Mrs. T-B. got here, she cried frequently. She now views the U.S. as her happy home.

As for you, you say what you say in 1. above, but then you say 2. As one example, if you internally consider yourself to be superior because of your political or sociologic views, and this comes across to others, they might keep you more at arm's length than otherwise. Differences can make the world go 'round. Think of how you might be perceived by others, and consider modifications.

Consider why 3. is. There might be more reasons than you think.

As for 4., observe your successful or well-rated colleagues and begin to emulate what they do.

You're obviously intelligent and have the time, so you can make a personal game of the above: "1./2. How many consecutive people can I accept, and how many can I get to accept me? 3. How many reasons can I come up with? 4. How quickly and well can I emulate my colleagues' successful patterns?"

Why can't your husband take you on some of his tours? What has he been doing to help you become acclimated?

Honestly, I daren't talk about my political or sociological views! Just as one example, there's a guy (a pastor) that shares the same co-working office space I use and he is constantly talking about how liberalism is ruining the world and how Europe is so terrible because it's allowed liberalism to 'take over'! Personally, I believe that quality of life is better in Europe - universal healthcare, 20 days legal minimum in paid vacation, paid maternity and paternity leave that can be shared between both partners, the Working Time Directive so no one works over 48 hours per week etc. So believe me, I simply talk about the weather with 99% of people I meet and as an educated and (I admit it freely!) opinionated woman it takes a lot of restraint!

The biggest fundamental cultural difference I've noticed, and that troubles me most is that the US is very focused on the individual, whereas Wales is very much about making good decisions for the best of the whole community and looking out for its weakest member. That was always a very big part of what makes me incredibly proud to be Welsh and, while I know I have to acclimatise, it flies so in the face of my personal beliefs I'm just finding it difficult.

The religious element is tough for me too. The UK is very much secular and religion has little to do with government. Our elected representatives are from all faiths because the country is made up of people of different faiths and they must be represented! I, personally, consider myself a Christian, but the brand of Christianity peddled around here is nothing similar to what I'm used to from my Church in the UK (most people here I've talked to about it were shocked that I was used to having a female pastor, for example). There is just so much judgment around and the recent Presidential debates and the whole ludicrous Kim Davis circus has really troubled me. While I personally have faith, I would never feel right about assuming that people should believe as I do. I believe religion is a very personal thing and that people should be free to believe or not believe whatever they wish. For a super Christian state, very little of what I have heard from Christians in Texas represents what I believe as Jesus' teaching (help those in need, love your neighbour as yourself, do not cherish money and possessions etc)

Husband and I are both pretty heavily tattooed (him more than me, but it doesn't seem to matter in the music industry!) and having to wear a cardigan in 104 degrees has been wretched! I used to wear short sleeves for 10 years working for the Government in the UK! The Minister I worked for (equivalent to a Secretary of State here) also had tattoos so no big deal! That's a big part of why we chose Austin in particular to move to, more acceptance of alternative type people but again that has been in pockets rather than overall.

The problem work-wise is that I was the Executive Director (I say was because I just handed in my notice) so I didn't have anyone to emulate! Culturally, it wasn't a good fit for me so I'm going to go back to looking in the environmental nonprofit sector where I belong! My husband couldn't take me on tour because I was working full time, plus he's in a tour bus with 9 other guys for the next 7 weeks! I guess he has faith that he married a self-sufficient woman and that I'll be fine on my own! Hahaha

Medical - April 20, 2015

You will never get your head around the 'obvious' racial segregation, its a joke that the US regards itself as a melting pot, there's no melting, there are pockets of people from various racial groups...I was as shocked as you when I moved here from Canada 8 yrs ago...I went through what my husband lovingly refers to as my 'I hate America' phase about 3-5 months in. The food sucked (I could never find certain things readily available back home and the taste was dreadful), customer service sucked at stores and restaurants, people's attitudes sucked...it was like everyone loved to hate on some group. It didn't feel comfortable here, I felt like I couldn't be my usual jovial, Canadian self.

And Politics?? OMG - heaven forbid we have friendly banter at lunch, no such thing here...it must be a fight to the death and you MUST take sides!

It really helped me once I encountered like minded people through work, what a relief! Many times I've found myself more comfortable with other immigrants who have an actual perspective about the world.

Remember, these are my opinions and impressions....please no one bother to try to argue the points I made.

Yes. It's the polarization and the hating on individual groups that really bothers me. While I really (really!) disagree with, for example, Tea Party politics I respect their right to have a very different opinion to me as long as they don't keep insisting I'm wrong and that everyone else but them is causing the fall of humanity!

I've met 2 people who I've clicked with as friends - both from California and very new to Texas...I wonder if that's why! :rofl:

Medical - April 20, 2015

I know it's probably not the answer, and you haven't been there that long, but how set are you on staying in Austin if you're not happy there? I moved to Dallas from Oregon about 11 years ago and have traveled a lot for work (around the US and spent a lot of time in the UK), and find that the Houston and Dallas tend to have a bigger mix of people from all over, so you don't get quite so overloaded with all of the extreme views. Don't get me wrong, they still exist, but you tend not to see them as the majority around here.

There are very few people that I know in Dallas that are "from" Dallas. They all moved here from other states and countries for jobs, etc., so while there are pockets of the extreme religion, there are a lot of areas that are fairly normal (or as normal as they can be).

Feel free to PM me anytime if you want to chat!

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

What you're experiencing is totally normal, and really right "on time" for culture shock. I say this, not to minimize what you're going through in any way, but just so you can know that it's both normal and expected and that it will most certainly get better. Here's a handy reading about it: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Study-work--more/Culture-Shock/A-model-of-Culture-Shock/ Be sure to check out the graph in the PDF linked. For some reason this doesn't have general timelines associated with it, but from when I was being prepared to move abroad, I remember being told that the "honeymoon stage" lasts about 2 to 3 months and then you start to really struggle....

This is not to say either that Austin is the perfect place for you, or that you are wrong about the things you've noticed about US culture, just that it's not a coincidence that you're noticing it all now and it's bothering you. If it helps with some perspective, you may try to imagine your home culture through a foreigner's eyes (not like your co-worker's--he seems to be repeating conservative talking points, but someone who has recently moved there). Over the years, imagining this becomes more and more possible and you'll see that every society has some seriously messed up aspects to it. Some admittedly much worse than others, but still. If you think, for example, of Trump's "build a wall, deport them all" is horrible, see if you can find a similar situation in the UK (Calais, perhaps?) and try to listen to the rhetoric with "fresh ears", and how that may sound to an outsider. While you, the insider, may think that those people who say those things are racist xenophobes who certainly don't speak for you or the majority of Britions, imagine then that very well could be the case with Trump & Co. I have found that this sort of thing helps me gain perspective on how what I'm seeing/hearing/disliking may not be just a problem with the new culture, but more of a universal piece of ugliness that has different symptoms in different places. You may not feel the same, and that's ok.

In the very near-term, maybe these suggestions will help: refrain from any political talk. Not just about sharing your opinions, but if conversations start to veer down that road, see if you can gently steer it away. It's not considered polite at all to talk politics in mixed groups or with people you don't know very well. That said, there are a lot of seriously tone-deaf and impolite people in this world. Sometimes it takes being a bit more straightforward about not wanting to talk/hear about it. A pointed remark, half-joking such as "Oh, I don't prefer to talk politics with people who I want to continue to like" can get the point across. If not, just know that you're talking to a fairly rude person with no ability to take social cues. You can let their opinions speak for themselves about their critical thinking ability.

Don't be afraid to defend your home culture if you want to, just know that that can very often be more of a headache than its worth and suddenly you're defending literally everything that has ever happened in/done by your county ever in the history of time. I lived abroad from 2002-2003---right in the middle of the US invading Iraq and gearing up for the election which would eventually result in a second term for George W. Bush. That was fun times (heh). At some point, I found myself being asked to defend the dropping of the bomb on Hiroshima, and I wasn't even defending the invasion of Iraq. It's a mess, honestly, dealing with people who only know about the goings on of your country through history books and sensationalist news. Talking with more educated people, and people you actually know well, is much more worth it and can be really eye opening and productive.

See if you can find some more like minded people. Meetups can be great for that (some of them have no-shows, some can feel forced, but if you've got the time, keep on trying): http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/tx/austin/Even if you're not looking for political/religious like minded people, just finding people who share hobbies and interests can be a good start (so you're not stuck with whoever you know through work). There's even a British Expats of Austin group:

Beyond that, trying to find a place where British/ other Commonwealth expats congregate can be helpful. See what bars in the area show soccer and rugby (the European leagues), and go watch a game there. See who you meet. Worst case scenario, you have a good lunch and some beers and watch a soccer game.

Just in general know that it *does* get better. And you won't lose yourself to this culture. You'll still be you, you won't become some ultra-conservative Jesus freak. I promise. You'll just be able to wade through these waters a bit easier, and have a different perspective on it. Basically, it won't bother you as much--not because you've accepted it, but because you know the ropes.

Good luck :)

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I love this country to death, after almost 3 years of living here I just can see myself living somewhere else, specially coming from a 3rd world country, this is a huge change specially cause my first language is not even english.

But I do agree about is still shocking to me (after almost 4 years) the racial segregation they have here. In latin america we are not use to racism (at least not to this level) and we are all a huge mix. We have part white, black and native so people are not with the BS of racism. When we have a black friend we call them (negrito) as a caring nick name but is not an offense at all.

Here I had to learn to be careful about anything I had to say cause Americans finds everything OFFENSIVE! everything is offensive to them...is just ridiculous...never met such a butt hurt people in my life.

Buttttt this is my home now, and the place I chose to live for the rest of my life. Is really hard the 1st 6 months specially after the "honey moon phase" is gone. Juts try to make the best out of it.

This country has amazing stuff, yeah pretty sh**** things like any other country but it has amazing stuff! try to see the positive side of the whole thing and you will find yourself loving this country like noone else.

You need to be patient also, 3 months is nothing...not enough time for you to say this is not your place yet.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Sorry you are having a rough time, I am one of maybe 5 British people employed at my work. No one has ever said I am too British but maybe they don't know th are being offensive. If you are having an exit interview you could give them feedback on this, I know Americans don't like being told they are too American so point out politely that other countries citizens don't like it either.

If your local state school has an environmental studies department reach out to them to see what nonprofits are in your area. Not sure about Texas but California park services hire a lot of their rangers from environmental backgrounds.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Awe trust me I completely understand how you feel. My hubby is from England and we live in Alabama. He has told me at times he feels like he's in another world the way people think down here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

O lord I just got here like one week back, it was literally last Wednesday and till now everything has been good but I know I will hit the I wanna go home, I'm sick of everything here phase some day and I know nothing can prepare me or my soon to be husband for that. I just wanted to share that the day I got here I didn't even feel even like I was in foreign country. It was like I was home to the love of my life. That could be because I've known him for so long and I was ready to be here with him (or anywhere on earth but with him), because of all the anticipations I had about our life here and how I would imagine it would all be and how I'd read about the places we'd be staying at (which is Florida right now, could be Georgia next) that when I actually got here it really didn't feel like I was away from home. Did anybody here experience this? May be this feeling that I had/have will not let the homesickness phase get too bad. Or may be right now it's the excitement of being with him finally, meeting his family and planning a wedding is keeping the homesickness at bay. O well we shall see how things go in this direction after a few weeks.

OP I can't really comment on your topic, never been to Texas and I just got here. But I really really hope things get better with you soon and you feel at home here. Good luck!

March 24, 2015: K1 petition mailed to Lewisville, TX via UPS

March 27, 2015: UPS tracking shows USCIS has received the petition

March 31, 2015: NOA1 notification received in email and text with USCIS receipt number (7 days after submitting the petition)

April 24, 2015: Case approved by USCIS (24 days after receiving NOA1)

May 1, 2015: NOA2 received in mail

May 14, 2015: Case getting processed at NVC

May 19, 2015: NVC processing done

May 24, 2015: Letter from NVC received (31 days after receiving NOA2) (case forwarded to consulate, interview location allotted)

May 25, 2015: I receive Packet 3 from United States Consulate General, Mumbai

May 28, 2015: Filled DS-160 form online, confirmation received and printed

June 1, 2015: Visa fees paid. Consular interview and OFC scheduled for 10 July, 2015

June 15, 2015: Medical examination

July 10, 2015: Visa interview at Mumbai Consulate. Visa approved!!

July 11, 13, 15, 2015: Case status on caec changed to 'Ready' on each mentioned date and case creation dates updated on each mentioned date
July 16, 2015: Case creation date updated, case status changed to 'Administrative Processing'
July 17, 2015: Case status updated to 'Issued' passport dispatched through BlueDart, DHL

July 20, 2015: Received passport with my visa on it and a sealed yellow envelope

September 2, 2015: POE Orlando, Florida

September 17, 2015: Courthouse marriage. We're married!

October 8, 2015: AOS, EAD and AP application submitted via UPS

October 19, 2015: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP received in mail

October 24, 2015: Civil marriage with families present. We're married, again!

October 27, 2015: Biometric notice received in mail

November 2, 2015: Biometrics done (walk-in at Orlando center) and RFE received in email for GC appliaction

January 7, 2016: EAD, AP approved (91 days after submitting the AOS application)

March 11, 2016: GC approved

May 6, 2020: Filed N400 online

May 7, 2020: Online receipt confirming USCIS received my case for N400 online (hard copy received in mail)

August 7, 2020: Online notification of biometrics reuse (hard copy received in mail)

August 14, 2020: Online notification for interview appointment (hard copy received in mail)

September 23, 2020: Naturalization interview, case approved, took oath, and just like that I am now a citizen of the United States!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.