46 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

My marriage of 9 years ended yesterday and as part of the discovery process, I found out that my ex-wife secretly petitioned for her mother to receive a greencard and used me on the Affidavit of Support, Form I-864 as a houshold member. She checked off box 11 which indicates that I completed form I-864A which would require my signature. I DID NOT SIGN SUCH A FORM. So now I am likely the main sponsor of her mother because my ex and her co-sponsor make minimum wage. How can I clear this situation up? I do NOT want to be responsible for this woman and my ex has gotten away with forgery.

Thanks for any help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes from Bringing Family Members as by the sounds of it the Ex mother inlaw is already in the US.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Is the mother a US citizen now? If so, you are off the hook one way or the other.

That being said, if your ex forged your signature on those forms, that is a serious crime, I'd file a police report

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

My marriage of 9 years ended yesterday and as part of the discovery process, I found out that my ex-wife secretly petitioned for her mother to receive a greencard and used me on the Affidavit of Support, Form I-864 as a houshold member. She checked off box 11 which indicates that I completed form I-864A which would require my signature. I DID NOT SIGN SUCH A FORM. So now I am likely the main sponsor of her mother because my ex and her co-sponsor make minimum wage. How can I clear this situation up? I do NOT want to be responsible for this woman and my ex has gotten away with forgery.

Thanks for any help.

9 years are long time and if you just gone through messy divorce then I suggest to let it go. Its as hard as it sound, why would you want to go through pain again. Its not that big of a deal because you filed 864A as family member and now you are not part of household so you will not be entirely liable for immigrant. Yes you can pursue legal action for forgery but at immigration level, you will go through lots of hassel to prove your point.

11/27/2013 - Priority Date

04/01/2015 - I-130 Approved

04/21/2015 - NVC received Case

04/29/2015 - DS261 filled

05/02/2015 - Case under CSPA review

06/04/2015 - Supervisor review Initiated-Wait 42 days

Is the mother a US citizen now? If so, you are off the hook one way or the other.

That being said, if your ex forged your signature on those forms, that is a serious crime, I'd file a police report

No the mother has a green card. My ex left me the day her mother arrived. She only stayed with me to use me for this financial support unfortuntaley.

9 years are long time and if you just gone through messy divorce then I suggest to let it go. Its as hard as it sound, why would you want to go through pain again. Its not that big of a deal because you filed 864A as family member and now you are not part of household so you will not be entirely liable for immigrant. Yes you can pursue legal action for forgery but at immigration level, you will go through lots of hassel to prove your point.

Thanks for the reply but....you are wayyy off. First of all I did NOT fill out any form for support. My ex did everything behind my back until her mother arrived including forging my signature and financial information on form i-864a. Also divorce would NOT eliminate my sponsorship of her mother (it is easy to find this information on the USCIS website).

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-support

"Note: Divorce does NOT end the sponsorship obligation."

This is not about revenge, this is about not being financially responsible for someone I did NOT agree to support

Edited by darstar007

Write to USCIS and tell them.

You cannot initiate a prosecution for forgery. Only a prosecuting attorney can do that.

I would put USCIS on notice so you don't get screwed, but don't let the anger against the ex get ahold of you. Let that part go.

Thanks for the advice. My situation is more complicated in that the purpose of it was for my ex to get Citizenship and her mother to get a greencard. For me this is a matter of justice, not revenge.

There is the immediate need to submit the notice to the USCIS, also need to file and report with the local non-emergency authorities.

You are correct in that until the (ex-mother-in-law) is naturalized that you can be held responsible for her and this can be for so much more than just financial matters.

You can also be sued by your ex-mother -in-law if you fail to provided support.

You will also in my opinion need to seek legal representation.

This matter and and will be very tricky but you want to make sure that you get on top of it right away because per the USCIS once you find out you are to notify them right away.

Good Luck, and God Bless .....

Service Center: Nebraska Service Center

Consulate: Senegal, Dakar

March 30, 2015: Married in Gambia

June 30, 2015: I-130 Sent

July 7, 2015: email & text I-130 NOA1 (electronic)

July 27, 2015: USPS mail I-130 NOA1 (hardcopy)

July 23, 2015: I-130 Approved NOA2 (electronic no email checked status via USCIS.gov)

July 27, 2015: USPS mail I-130 Approved NOA2 (hardcopy)

July 28, 2015: NVC received my case from USCIS (NVC Agent)

August 17, 2015: NVC Assigned my Case (Called in and the NVC Agent provided it to me over the Phone, also updated Phone and Email and assigned Agent.)

August 17, 2015: Completed DS-261 Agent Choice

August 17, 2015: AOS Bill

August 17, 2015: Paid AOS Bill Online

August 17, 2015: Received AOS Cover Page

August 20, 2015: Received IV Bill

August 20, 2015: Paid IV Bill

September 5, 2015: NVC Received Doc (30 Day Wait Begins)

October 5, 2015: Received a Checklist Email (Missed tax documents which I know I sent)

October 9, 2015: NVC Received Checklist and missing tax forms (Round 2 of 30 Day Wait Begins)

October 21, 2015: Called NVC to check status and to ensure the forms had been received; spoke with the rudest person I even have encountered demanded a Supervisor Call back

November 9, 2015: Case Complete from the NVC (Received a direct call from the Supervisor &Appointment date)

November 11, 2015: Received email with Appointment Date and instructions

December 11, 2015: Biometric Screening and Vaccinations Complete with Sealed Envelope

December 15, 2015: Interview placed on Administrative Processing didn’t have enough evidence of relationship and original marriage license.

January 3, 2016: Submitted original marriage license, 600 pages of Viber messages was advised that they would call him and gave him a white 221g Administrative Processing

September 1, 2016: Embassy called him directly and advised him to come in any Wednesday

September 8,2016: Arrived at the Embassy they requested a 2ndBiometric Examination

September 28,2016: Arrived at Embassy with 2nd Biometric Examination Complete with Sealed Envelope received a green ticket and advised to return on next Thursday. (8 day wait begins)

October 6, 2016: Visa APPROVED and in HAND

October 6,2016: USCIS Immigrant Fee (Green Card Fee) Billed

October 6,2016: USCIS Immigrant Fee (Green Card Fee) Paid

October 6,2016: Airline Ticket Purchased expected arrival for October 11,2016 Insha’Allah

AKqjm5.png

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride; so I love you because I knew no other way than this, where 'I' does not exist, nor 'you'. So close that your hand on my chest is my hand, so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

if your ex-mother in law has already become US citizen or she has credit of 40 qualifying quarters of work in US ( usually equals to 10 yrs of work in social security knowledge), your no more liable for her support.

Read item 11 in form I-864 (instructions for Affidavit of support)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

if your ex-mother in law has already become US citizen or she has credit of 40 qualifying quarters of work in US ( usually equals to 10 yrs of work in social security knowledge), your no more liable for her support.

Read item 11 in form I-864 (instructions for Affidavit of support)

What does this have to do with the fact his x wife committed forgery?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the advice. My situation is more complicated in that the purpose of it was for my ex to get Citizenship and her mother to get a greencard. For me this is a matter of justice, not revenge.

If it were me I would go to your local police department and go from there, the district attorney works for the tax payers in your city/county.

I would also make a infopass (I have heard various reports if they care of not) and make them take a report of your findings.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.