leoidiarte

Emergency: What are the Financial responsibilities of my Sponsor?

35 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

I was not sure when to post this so I ended up posting here on CR1 (as I am a CR already living in the U.S).

Well, Im going through rough times in my life and getting a divorce was not in my plans and it has been very sad and difficult.

I find myself in a difficult financial situation, I had to leave home and the sharing of goods has not yet happened. I do not have a job that pays me well yet so I need financial aid. I wonder: is possible to do something for her parents (my sponsor) help me pay my lawyer? Since we have a daughter and she's preventing me to see her (no reason than resentment) I am worried about what she can do and going PRO SE on this matter is not a good idea.

Thanks a lot!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Your sponsors are only responsible for federal tested means benefits you may receive. Since there is a child involved in the divorce, not getting a lawyer ins't an option in your case. It's not a DIY process unfortunately. good luck.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Your sponsors are only responsible for federal tested means benefits you may receive. Since there is a child involved in the divorce, not getting a lawyer ins't an option in your case. It's not a DIY process unfortunately. good luck.

I read online that I could in somehow make them help or pay for attorneys if i show that i dont have no money to pay for one.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

No you can't. That's not what 'sponsor' in this case represents. Check with local organizations or your state BAR association if you can get a pro-bono lawyer to file the paperwork for you. It's really not to complicated but since you guys have a child you will need help with the legalese.

I read online that I could in somehow make them help or pay for attorneys if i show that i dont have no money to pay for one.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you are at a shelter perhaps they could point you in the right direction for good legal advise?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Other than the I864, the parents have no responsibility towards you or your child, or even your wife for that matter

Securing funds under the I864 is going to be an arduous uphill process, even if it can be done.

You would be better served using the tools available in the divorce process. File a motion in Court requesting temporary spousal support whilst the divorce is proceeding. Your income/expenses relative to her income/expenses will be what drives the outcome here, along with whomever has physical custody of the child. You can also file a motion for custody and/or visitation with the child. Motions at the start of the divorce will set the landscape (who lives where, who has assess to various marital assets, rules of access to children, etc.) while you proceed through the process. As far as money explicitly for legal fees - you can ask, but it's a ####### shoot as to whether it is granted up front; usually the issue of legal fees is resolved as part of the settlement.

As noted above, divorce with a child involved is not a DIY process. You need to find an attorney your comfortable with. And keep your expectations reasonable.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

TBH divorces can be done without a lawyer with children involved. Is it ideal? No but it can be done. My fiance's ex self repped in their divorce including a child. If you're set on getting one, get a second job. Nobody owes you anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Your sponsor has zero financial responsibility to you. The I-864 is a contract between the sponsor and the US government, not between the sponsor and you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In this case the wife is the sponsor, he is talking about joint sponsors, any action would be first against his wife.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

TBH divorces can be done without a lawyer with children involved. Is it ideal? No but it can be done. My fiance's ex self repped in their divorce including a child. If you're set on getting one, get a second job. Nobody owes you anything.

Agreed. If he does a divorce with a child and he does not have a lawyer then he will be eaten alive in court. Seen it a few time first hand.

Spend what you have or don't have, there are many family lawyers who work for free if you don't have funds.

I would use the I 864 as a threat against your wife and their family, It may work it may not......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Someone does something nice for you and you want to make money from it. This is my problem with the sponsorship thing, other than providing a ticket back to your home country I don't know what else someone can expect out of it. Getting money out of someone even after a judgement has been ordered in court is extremely difficult. The best move is to get multiple jobs if you want to stay and see your child, or work things out. You will spend more time, money and energy trying to get something from someone else than you could get by yourself. People complain there isn't enough money to make in the U.S. But it's a place where with almost no investment you can start a house cleaning company and make easily over $25/hr. That would be what I would do if I had no business contacts and no job.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.