JimmyHou

Information on Name Change During Naturalization

278 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I have a question about the name change.  Not sure if it's been answered earlier in this thread - I read through most of it but did not see it.

I have two middle names on my birth certificate. I have never used these names in any capacity, ever.  I'm from Ireland, and my Irish passport, my Irish social security card, my college transcripts, drivers license all have just my first name and last name.

When I moved to the US on a J-1 visa in 2009, it was issued in First Name, Last Name. Same with my H1-B and my Green Card.  My American social security card is the same, as well as my US drivers license, bank records, tax records, literally every legal document you can think of.

At my N-400 interview, my interviewer saw that there was two middle names on my birth certificate, and asked about it. I explained all of the above. She then insisted that I change the name on my application to include the two middle names.  I said I did not want to do that, as every other legal document I have does not have them, and my legal name in Ireland is my First Name, Last Name, without the middle names, and has been in America for the past decade too. She basically said that she would not continue with my N400 interview unless I consented to the change, so I did - what choice did I have?!

I have my oath ceremony next week.  Is there any chance I could get it changed there?  If not, would it be wise to go and get it changed "back" to just my First Name, Last Name at court on the same day, before I apply for my US passport?  If so, how long would that process take?

Edited by DannyAdelante

@DannyAdelante, if I remember correctly, on the the Day of your naturalization ceremony, an officer will ask you to write your name on either a form or your naturalization certificate as you would like it to be forever.

I remember that because I almost Americanized my first name at that point, but ended up keeping my first name and middle initial.

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
On 5/25/2021 at 9:48 PM, USC4SPOUSE said:

@DannyAdelante, if I remember correctly, on the the Day of your naturalization ceremony, an officer will ask you to write your name on either a form or your naturalization certificate as you would like it to be forever.

I remember that because I almost Americanized my first name at that point, but ended up keeping my first name and middle initial.

That's helpful, thanks! I will see if I can do that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Copied from my original thread in case someone else may find this information useful:

Married spouse in 2013 in New York. She elected to change surname to my name. The Hondurans do not allow for straight name changes( first, middle, husband’s surname) they require the name in her passport be according to their naming customs.(first, middle, father’s last, mother’s last, “de”, husband’s last). So all of our immigration paperwork has been filed according to the way her name reads in her passport.(I-130, I-601A, DS-260) her green card also matches her passport. 

When it comes time to Naturalize she would like to use her legal name in the states to apply.(First, Middle, Husband’s last). Not sure if she needs to request name change being that we already changed her name when we got married, I also don’t want to delay the naturalization ceremony if I check yes because that ceremony needs to be conducted by a judge, if it’s not necessary. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

Mike

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, mikeyp123 said:

Copied from my original thread in case someone else may find this information useful:

Married spouse in 2013 in New York. She elected to change surname to my name. The Hondurans do not allow for straight name changes( first, middle, husband’s surname) they require the name in her passport be according to their naming customs.(first, middle, father’s last, mother’s last, “de”, husband’s last). So all of our immigration paperwork has been filed according to the way her name reads in her passport.(I-130, I-601A, DS-260) her green card also matches her passport. 

When it comes time to Naturalize she would like to use her legal name in the states to apply.(First, Middle, Husband’s last). Not sure if she needs to request name change being that we already changed her name when we got married, I also don’t want to delay the naturalization ceremony if I check yes because that ceremony needs to be conducted by a judge, if it’s not necessary. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

Mike

I don't know about the name change process, but now during the pandemic many courts have been closed in large parts of the country and the ceremonies have been done by USCIS despite name change. The name change itself needs to be approved and signed by a judge, but the ceremony can be done by USCIS. So check what it's like where you live. Here in Los Angeles name changes don't delay anything, the name change document is signed and approved the same day you pass your interview (the court house is right next to the USCIS building, so I guess they just walk over with all the paperwork at the end of the day and get it done) and then you have your oath ceremony just a few days later. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

I requested name change while filing my citizenship application and had a court ceremony.  I was given the naturalization certificate with my new name but was not given a name change certificate.  Is it possible that the staff just simply forgot to give it to me? or will it be mailed to me? Where should I inquire or request the name change certificate? 

Thanks,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
36 minutes ago, jerryymmud said:

I requested name change while filing my citizenship application and had a court ceremony.  I was given the naturalization certificate with my new name but was not given a name change certificate.  Is it possible that the staff just simply forgot to give it to me? or will it be mailed to me? Where should I inquire or request the name change certificate? 

Thanks,

You need to ask uscis, it's their form that they fill out and have a judge sign, it's not a court document per se. 

It's called N-662 Petition for Name Change.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Timeline

So my Wife today passed her citizenship test and she also received her certificate of naturalization. I've noticed that they didn't change her name in the certificate, even though on the application N-400, she stated which name she would like to use. The officer told her she couldn't change her name on the certificate because that was her legal name, she couldn't make any alternations to name because she made  a name change during the 1st Green Card application process, which removed her last name. So what does she do now? With the name she has now on her Certificate of Naturalization can she still make a name change and start the process for an american passport? Need HELP!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The best time and easiest time to do a name change with no fee is before naturalization (filing N400). Since that wasn't actualized and the certificate of naturalization has been issued, you will have get this done by going to the court for a name changed. When thats done, you submit to the necessary or update with agencies where necessary. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 2:40 AM, Scandi said:

during the pandemic many courts have been closed in large parts of the country and the ceremonies have been done by USCIS despite name change. The name change itself needs to be approved and signed by a judge, but the ceremony can be done by USCIS

That's great info! I was looking at NYS northern district court website and they are indeed closed:

DUE TO COVID-19, ALL NATURALIZATION CEREMONIES ARE NOT BEING HELD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. 

Anyone know if USCIS is handling name change requests in NYS (not NYC) during covid?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/17/2021 at 6:04 PM, humming bird said:

Hi there! USCIS Denver. Filling N400 very soon and want to do the last name change and want to take my husband's last name per marriage certificate. Could anyone please give info if Denver office does the oath ceremony by judge? Did anyone got it done? What is the other way to find out? Thank you in advance!!

To use your husband's last name you just take your marriage certificate and start changing your ID/SSN. I don't see the point in changing the name on GC as your about to do N400. Just fill in the forms with married name they should switch it over without actually having to do a legal name change. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 6:31 PM, Ontarkie said:

To use your husband's last name you just take your marriage certificate and start changing your ID/SSN. I don't see the point in changing the name on GC as your about to do N400. Just fill in the forms with married name they should switch it over without actually having to do a legal name change. 

Thank you ontarkie. I should have written more clearly. I want to change the last name not on green card but in the N400 form . I wanted to know if anyone got it done in front of judge during the interview and if it delays the oath ceremony.

I got my answer after reading several posts that Denver USCIS office does it. Thank you for your time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, humming bird said:

Thank you ontarkie. I should have written more clearly. I want to change the last name not on green card but in the N400 form . I wanted to know if anyone got it done in front of judge during the interview and if it delays the oath ceremony.

I got my answer after reading several posts that Denver USCIS office does it. Thank you for your time.

You don't need to go in front of a judge. Going in front of a judge is a completely different type of name change. It is legal to just assume your husbands name. You just fill out all your N400 forms with your married name. No need to do a court name change.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.