JimmyHou

Information on Name Change During Naturalization

278 posts in this topic

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your post on this. I am glad I came across this post. I have spoken to 4 different immigration attorneys and am really frustrated that none of them have been able to give much info on this process.

I will become eligible for Naturalization soon and wish to change both my first and last name. I want to understand if I apply for the name change as part of Naturalization , how will that impact my removal of conditions process which is still pending (I plan to apply for Nat once I become eligible even though the ROC is still pending with USCIS).  Each attorney I have spoken to has given a recommendation but with no pros/cons and unable to answer why.

One attorney said I should do name change outside of immi process  , another said I should do it after naturalization so I don't muddy the immi process... however none of them were able to tell me why they recommend a certain approach and what pros/cons there are of each approach.

Let me know if you can shed any light on this ..I become eligible to apply for Nat soon and my ROC is still pending with USCIS.

Thanks,

Lavendar

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi guys 

My question is I already file N400 got my interview for end of November but i would like to take my husband last and since i don't need juridical ceremony  as far as my research go can I just to go to SSN office and change my last name or I should just wait until after my interview, 

Any advice would be a appreciated

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Jimmy I have a question! 

I am a K1 but now I am my path to citizenship! Regarding my name change? 

In all my documents even in my country Philippines my name is Perecles Muring Garces-Haley! But I want to remove Muring and make Garces which is my last name when I was single to be my Middle name now and just carry my husbands last name! Should I fill the N400 name change section or no need? 

Your response is very much appreciated if you can answer me! 

Thank you

Hi everyone ,

example , My name is FNU  Amjid , first name unknow , I would like to changed my name to Amjid Anwer , you all thinks will delay my oath ? after interview ? any idea about changing names and delay the process please ? 

I have FNU Names all documents since i come to us I hate that name , cost so much problem every where airport tickets , banks , everywhere , i would like to changed my names please anyone have first name FNU ? 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Question here,

My spouse will be eligible in 2021 to naturalize.  When you marry on Mexican soil the woman is no longer allowed to take the man's last name.  When we arrived here she decided it wasn't worth the pain to change it now and wait till she becomes american.  My question is; can she naturalize in 2021 and then afterwards go and change her last name to mine?  Or does it have to be done in the N400 process?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

Im sorry for bumping this old thread but im filing for n400 atm online. I want to know if it won't give me any trouble in my interview If i request a name change on my form to drop my middle name. I just want my first and my last name (husband's surname) on my oath taking certificate as well as my US passport when i apply for it in the future. Is this alright?  **Maybe a silly reason, but most people always mispronounce my middle name & I have to correct them every time for it so I just decided to drop it altogether.

I am well aware that I will (after my oath taking) need to change my SS name as well as my driver's license to match the new one. I just want to know other's opinion if this is wise or not. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! I just received my N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony and I'm so excited! I'm scheduled for an oath next Tuesday. :)

I noticed that the name written on the N-445 has an error. I have two first names, but only one of them is in the letter. Does this mean that my naturalization certificate will only include one of my two first names? Will I still be given a chance to correct it? And if so, does that mean I will not be given the naturalization certificate on the day itself?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife has already changed her name.  My question is now on Part 2 when they ask if you want to legally change your name, should we check yes or no?  We don't want to delay or have to see a judge for another name change, but we don't want her citizenship papers to have her old name.  So if she's already changed her name legally through the courts and social security and that's the name we'll use to apply for citizenship (but with her old name being the name on the green card, as they request what name is on the green card on the form), will there be any issues?  They don't have an option to select "already changed name".  They need this since not all states allow name changes on form n400 now.  

Show Timeline:

Apr 2009 - We first met. Fear at first sight!
Apr 2009 - First date--actually to bernie c's wedding no less!
Aug 2009 - promise ring
Nov 2009 - moved in together
Mar 2010 - pregnant!
May 2010 - engagement
Jun 2010 - wedding
Dec 2010 - its a girl!
Dec 2010 - signed marriage cert
May 2012 - got CRBA and passport for baby
06-16-2012 - I-130 Package sent for CR1 spousal visa
06-26-2012 - NOA-1 -> CSC
10-04-2012 - NOA-2
10-23-2012 - Paid AOS / Emailed DS-3032
11-08-2012 - Paid IV
11-21-2012 - Mailed AOS/IV packets
12-12-2012 - Received Checklist for Police Certificate (missing translation)
12-12-2012 - Mailed Translated PC
12-21-2012 - Case Completed at NVC. Qualified for IR1 visa
03-19-2013 - Interview

06-21-2012 - USCIS received I130 from abroad
06-26-2012 - NOA-1 -> CSC
10-04-2012 - NOA-2
12-21-2012 - Case Completed at NVC
03-19-2013 - Interview - Passed!

04-04-2013 - POE LAX 2 hour wait My parents picked us up!

04-16-2013 - Received green card

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
On 4/17/2019 at 3:56 AM, beanutputter said:

Hi all! I just received my N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony and I'm so excited! I'm scheduled for an oath next Tuesday. :)

I noticed that the name written on the N-445 has an error. I have two first names, but only one of them is in the letter. Does this mean that my naturalization certificate will only include one of my two first names? Will I still be given a chance to correct it? And if so, does that mean I will not be given the naturalization certificate on the day itself?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Hey beanutputter 
How did it all work out for you? You are the first person I've seen on this forum posting about having two first names - so you will understand my frustration at all government offices where they try and spread them into first and middle name (flags an error on the USCIS records and usually ends up with us spending a ton more time).  Did they sort out the issue for you at naturalization oath ceremony?

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Here is my situation...

I became Resident of the USA 7 years ago, on my green card I have Mario Lopez but on my birth certificate I have Mario Antonio Lopez Ortiz...

I Started Using just Mario Lopez since I became legal resident. Actually on my divorce papers says (formerly Ortiz) and now that I want to apply for Naturalization I don't know what name would be the right now.

What Should I do?

Thanks

Edited by bebetho

• 3 weeks later...

Hello JimmyHou, Wow this is so helpful!  I am so confused right now and folks I work with say, talk to an immigration lawyer but I did my entire K-1, 8 years ago all by myself.

Here's my question, if you can help or anyone else I would be so grateful.  VJ just seems to have all the answers that are sometimes impossible to find.

1. I got married in 2012, took my husband's name.  With the marriage certificate I changed everything from SSN to my Canadian Passport.

2. I am in the process of completing the N-400 to become a US Citizen.

3. My husband and I are still married however I want to change all of my documents back to my legal name on my Birth Certificate.
      ** Note: I was divorced in Canada and said I'm NEVER going to get married again as I had a few marriages.  I said I will just live with the person.  Well............. that changed when I met an American and had to get married to be together.  So after my last divorce I did a "legal name change" through the courts in Ontario with a completely new last name.  I have the court document for the legal name change and then I applied for a new Birth Certificate and that has my new legal name on it.

4. Can I change my SSN now by filling in the form and stating I want to go back to my legal name/birth certificate name?  I can't provide them a divorce certificate because we're not divorcing, I just want to stop using my husband's name and go back to my legal name.

5. My Permanent Resident Card (green card) has my married name on it.

6. Will Social Security allow me to get a new SS card with my legal/birth certificate name if I show them my birth certificate?

7. Should I proceed with the N-400 and ask for the legal name change on this document?  It's a bit confusing because I'd be asking for a legal name change to the legal name I already possess and have a birth certificate and name change certificate to prove this.

Any guidance you or anyone else can provide would be much appreciated!  VJ is really the best!!  Thank you, Janey

• 4 months later...

Hi there, so i just had my naturalizations interview this morning, and i told the officer that i’d like to change my full name. Does anybody knows how long it is normally takes till i get my certificate with the new name? I currently live in new orleans, LA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.