JimmyHou

Information on Name Change During Naturalization

278 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Apologies for bumping up an old thread. 

Hope just to get a general answer.  It appears that in a lot of cases, requesting a name change adds some time to the application process.  I was trying to find a ballpark of how much time it adds?  

Also there was a link in an earlier reply to this thread about being able to check if your local field office provides judicial services for name changes.  When I looked at my field office information, I didn't see a section of services offered.  Anyone have insight on where else I might be able to find that information?

Many Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I'm about to apply for citizenship and would like some information regarding the change of first name. I'm now Thiago Almeida Kern and would like to become Pierre Almeida Kern. From what I've read, this means my case will take longer, but I don't mind. Something that has been in my mind is: for those of you who have successfully changed your name during the naturalisation process, did your home country accept that change of name as well? I haven't found a lot of information on that. Say I wanna buy a house in my home country, my name here and there would be different. Does it mean I'll have more complications in the future? 

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 12:42 PM, JDinTX said:

Does any one know how to acquire a new copy of the name change certificate they give to you along with your naturalization certificate at the Oath ceremony?  I have lost mine and now need it to prove a name change for a China Visa.  Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. Anybody who knows how to help us?

AOS from F1 through Marriage

July 2, 2016 Married

Aug 19, 2016 Sent i-485, i-130, i-765 via FedEx to Chicago Lockbox

Aug 23, 2016 Package received (Day 1)

Aug 30, 2016 (11:30pm) Received text and email notification (Day 8 )

Sept 4, 2016 Received ALL Forms I-797C, Notice of Action hardcopy (Day 13)

Sep 22, 2016 Biometrics Appointment (Day 31)

Sept 27, 2016 Biometrics Done (Day 36) <----Took 10-15 minutes, no issue with being 5 days late with the appointment

Oct 11, 2016 Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview (Day 51)

Oct 19, 2016 Online status changed to "Interview is Scheduled" to Nov 21 (Day 59)

Oct 21, 2016 Received Interview Notice in mail (Day 61)

Nov 21, 2016 Interview Day, sent in for "Approval" (Day 92)

Nov 21, 2016 Online status changed to "New Card Being Produced" (Day 92)

Nov 21, 2016 Online status changed to "Case was approved" (Day 92)

Nov 25, 2016 Received AOS Approval Letter (Day 96)

Nov 30, 2016 Online status changed to "Card was Mailed to Me" (Day 101)

Nov 30, 2016 Online status changed to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service" with tracking number from USPS (Day 101)

Dec 1, 2016 Greencard in Hand! (Day 102)

SSN

Dec 12, 2016 Applied for SSN

Dec 20, 2016 Received SSN in mail

I-751 

October 26, 2018 - Packaged arrived at Phoenix, AZ lockbox

November 1, 2018 - USCIS text "Case was received" (Day 1)

December 4, 2018 - Service request (Day 34)

December 10, 2018 - NOA received with 18 months extension (Day 40)

On 10/19/2018 at 9:19 AM, lierre said:

I successfully had my name changed during my citizenship interview. Didn’t really delay my oath ceremony.

Did they give you a document that says you changed your name? what does that look like? i lost mine

AOS from F1 through Marriage

July 2, 2016 Married

Aug 19, 2016 Sent i-485, i-130, i-765 via FedEx to Chicago Lockbox

Aug 23, 2016 Package received (Day 1)

Aug 30, 2016 (11:30pm) Received text and email notification (Day 8 )

Sept 4, 2016 Received ALL Forms I-797C, Notice of Action hardcopy (Day 13)

Sep 22, 2016 Biometrics Appointment (Day 31)

Sept 27, 2016 Biometrics Done (Day 36) <----Took 10-15 minutes, no issue with being 5 days late with the appointment

Oct 11, 2016 Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview (Day 51)

Oct 19, 2016 Online status changed to "Interview is Scheduled" to Nov 21 (Day 59)

Oct 21, 2016 Received Interview Notice in mail (Day 61)

Nov 21, 2016 Interview Day, sent in for "Approval" (Day 92)

Nov 21, 2016 Online status changed to "New Card Being Produced" (Day 92)

Nov 21, 2016 Online status changed to "Case was approved" (Day 92)

Nov 25, 2016 Received AOS Approval Letter (Day 96)

Nov 30, 2016 Online status changed to "Card was Mailed to Me" (Day 101)

Nov 30, 2016 Online status changed to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service" with tracking number from USPS (Day 101)

Dec 1, 2016 Greencard in Hand! (Day 102)

SSN

Dec 12, 2016 Applied for SSN

Dec 20, 2016 Received SSN in mail

I-751 

October 26, 2018 - Packaged arrived at Phoenix, AZ lockbox

November 1, 2018 - USCIS text "Case was received" (Day 1)

December 4, 2018 - Service request (Day 34)

December 10, 2018 - NOA received with 18 months extension (Day 40)

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello,

we are hearing that doing a name change during N400 might add up to a year until you can do the oath ceremony. Has anyone had any experience? 

Told the wife if this is true then she will have to keep her old name, I am not waiting another year to be done with this waiting game.

Any information would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Jonny Eser

Timeline
On 9/22/2020 at 8:37 AM, gazgazain said:

Hello,

we are hearing that doing a name change during N400 might add up to a year until you can do the oath ceremony. Has anyone had any experience? 

Told the wife if this is true then she will have to keep her old name, I am not waiting another year to be done with this waiting game.

Any information would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Jonny Eser

Out of curiosity - where are you hearing that?  I applied in Nov 2019 with a name change and am still waiting.  But I'm also taking into account where I live and the amount of immigration cases here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello,

I might not have explained myself in detail. During the interview with the officer for the N400, they will ask if you want to change your name. If you say yes, in some instances (this is what some people that my wife know) have been told that due to courts being in lockdown for COVID the name change will be delayed until the court opens and can perform the name change and you can do your oath ceremony.

The name change will not delay the application itself, but once you are approved it might delay your oath ceremony. Without the oath ceremony no naturalization certificate...

Just wanted to hear if someone else in the VJ community had this experience.

Regards

Jonny Eser

Timeline
6 minutes ago, gazgazain said:

Hello,

I might not have explained myself in detail. During the interview with the officer for the N400, they will ask if you want to change your name. If you say yes, in some instances (this is what some people that my wife know) have been told that due to courts being in lockdown for COVID the name change will be delayed until the court opens and can perform the name change and you can do your oath ceremony.

The name change will not delay the application itself, but once you are approved it might delay your oath ceremony. Without the oath ceremony no naturalization certificate...

Just wanted to hear if someone else in the VJ community had this experience.

Regards

Jonny Eser

Ahh, that makes more sense.  

I can see a wait due the courts not being fully open or working backlogged cases first a pretty likely scenario.

Hope you get an answer to your question and best of luck to you and your wife!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 11:21 AM, hafu_hafu said:

Ahh, that makes more sense.  

I can see a wait due the courts not being fully open or working backlogged cases first a pretty likely scenario.

Hope you get an answer to your question and best of luck to you and your wife!

Hmm, I requested a name change and my interview is coming up early November. I hope it won't delay my oath!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

So thought I would share information I received from my IO during my interview.  In San Diego, if you request a name change, a judge must sign. Once the judge signs, they will schedule your oath appointment.  Due to COVID, they are only scheduling the oath appointments (ones that are not done same day) once a month, on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at Cabrillo National park.  Again this is only for San Diego.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.