Boxingfan

privacy during medical exam

66 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

i read up about the medical exam before interview and one of the things it said was that they examine "external genetalia" ?? what if you are not comfortable with that? can you choose to get a female doctor to do the exam? i am a religious person and we are very strict about these kinds of things. i do not want a male doctor looking me down there. do they really do that? and what is the purpose for that?

we only have 1 approved doctor's office in my city, what if it's a male doctor and i refuse to take off my clothes?

If it is a US male doctor a female, usually a nurse, is required by law to be present. Otherwise, you may need to shop around until you find a female USCIS physician.

Hi there,

It is true, the doctor will examine your down there at the moment of the exam. I was really nervous when I had to do it. In my city, there were 4 civil surgeons that could perform the exam. Thank God, one of them was a female, so I went ahead and had my medical exam with her. I would recommend you to talk directly to the doctor and see what options you have with them to avoid that situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For that part of my exam the doctor removed himself from the room and the female nurse completed the exam.

Why don't you call the clinic to ensure this can be done for you too

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Medical/TIA%20-%20Tirana.pdf

Did you read this? maybe you should contact Tirana US embassy and ask about this, I'm pretty sure they'll understand your situation. Good Luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I wonder... do they check that area for potential STD's maybe??

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

Marriage: 2012-04-23

I-130 Sent : 2014-07-10

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-07-24

I-130 RFE : 2015-02-03

I-130 RFE Sent : 2015/02/09

NOA2 Email Received: 2015/03/02

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 2015/03/06

Case Sent from USCIS: 2015/03/11
NVC Received: 2015/03/17
Case # Assigned: 2015/03/24
DS-261 Completed: 2015/03/28
Paid AOS Fee: 2015/03/30
Sent in AOS and IV Package: 2015/04/01
Case Accepted for Expedite: 2015/05/05
Case Forwarded to Consulate: 2015/05/07
Completed DS-260: 2015/05/15
Interview Scheduled: 2015/05/20
Interview: 2015/07/15
event.png

event.png
event.png

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

I am confused. Your status says your are applying for CR-1/IR-1 visa which means you are in Albania. However, you say there is only one doctor in your city.

If you are in Albania then you have to go to one of the doctors that have been selected by the Embassy. There are two according to this PDF from the Embassy and it seems like one of them is female.

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Medical/TIA%20-%20Tirana.pdf

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

I wonder... do they check that area for potential STD's maybe??

It's a quick are you a boy or girl check, that's it. There is no touching or probing. It's a simple, yes you have a ####### and testicles or no you don't.

BTW I think that word is a scientific word for the male genitalia and should NOT be banned. :ranting:

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

i read up about the medical exam before interview and one of the things it said was that they examine "external genetalia" ?? what if you are not comfortable with that? can you choose to get a female doctor to do the exam? i am a religious person and we are very strict about these kinds of things. i do not want a male doctor looking me down there. do they really do that? and what is the purpose for that?

we only have 1 approved doctor's office in my city, what if it's a male doctor and i refuse to take off my clothes?

Hi,

I am a religious muslim woman. And i was also worry about it too. on February 2015, i called the clinic asking them whether i can do my medical exam with female doctor since i don't feel comfortable doing it with male doctor and the clinic said that "don't worry, the nurse will do it for him". And since i got Checklist from NVC and it made me wait again for another 60 days for them to complete my case. Thank God, since beginning of march, this particular clinic is no longer the US Embassy's medical provider. a few days ago i went to different clinic, all of them are female doctor. She did check my private part and it was very fast! less than 30 seconds. So, don't worry just call the clinic they will tell you everything.

Journey @ USCIS:

07-27-2013: I-130 Sent

10-02-2013: NOA1-I130

12-09-2013: Approved

12-15-2013: NOA2 Hard Copy Received

Journey @ NVC:

01-22-2014: Case Number & IIN Assigned

.::Case Pending::.

12-09-2014: IV packet sent

12-10-2014: IV packet Delivered to NVC

12-11-2014: IV Scan Date

01-29-2015: Checklist Received from NVC

01-29-2015: Checklist Respond sent

02-02-2015: NVC Received checklist responds.

02-03-2015: New Scan Date

08-18-2015: Case Completed

04-17-2015: Interview Email Received (P4)

04-18-2015: Left NVC

04-19-2015: CEAC Status ‘In Transit’

04-21-2015: Medical Scheduled - Done

05-07-2015: Interview date @Jakarta,Indonesia (Refused under 221(g) for submit applicant (husband)’s ORIGINAL birth certificate & new form G-325A)

05-07-2015: CEAC Status ‘Administrative Processing’

05-18-2015: Requested documents Submitted to RPX-Jakarta,Indonesia

05-19-2015: CEAC Status changed from AP to READY for Interview

05-21-2015: CEAC Status READY, date updated.

05-21-2015: CEAC Status Changed from READY to AP. (at 4pm) I hope it will change to ISSUE tomorrow

05-22-2015: ISSUED

05-27-2015: Visa on hand,finally...

05-29-2015: POE O'hare Chicago

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

hi im albanian as well, i got my case complete from nvc on march 6 and i still dont have an interview? what about you? when was your case complete and when did they schedule your interview, also whats your interview date? please help

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Whaaaat? Why would they check people's private parts? That sounds so weird.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Whaaaat? Why would they check people's private parts? That sounds so weird.

It's pretty standard. The doctor I went to didn't, but it's part of having a physical. They check your blood pressure, breathing, eyes, ears, etc... Just like they would with any other physical exam. If anything it's less invasive than a standard physical exam as mine always include a pap smear once a year. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

It's pretty standard. The doctor I went to didn't, but it's part of having a physical. They check your blood pressure, breathing, eyes, ears, etc... Just like they would with any other physical exam. If anything it's less invasive than a standard physical exam as mine always include a pap smear once a year. ;)

Guess it's different from country to country. In Scandinavia, a normal physical exam doesn't include the private parts. That exam you would have with a gynaecologist. Guess I have to call the US embassy doctor in Sweden and see how it's done here.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Guess it's different from country to country. In Scandinavia, a normal physical exam doesn't include the private parts. That exam you would have with a gynaecologist. Guess I have to call the US embassy doctor in Sweden and see how it's done here.

Again it differs from country to country. My exams were all done in Canada by my family doctor and only things that were problematic were dealt with by a ob/gyn. However in the USA most women seem to see their ob/gyn for their yearly pelvic exam as well.

But in most countries, that I have read about on VJ, do a quick check of the genital area (hey are you a male or female?) as part of the physical exam. I did not have to in Canada but other doctors in Canada do it. I've had a kid and I've had precancerous treatment so I couldn't care less about a medical professional seeing my vulva to see if I'm female. I fail to see the problem because of those reasons, but understand just like the US government understands that there are reservations and religious reasons why a female would need a female doctor or nurse to do this and provide for such at the medical. They're not trying to infringe on someone's religious beliefs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.