alanm6663

Some help please, Fiancé visa/Wife visa

31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

you can visit her. I've only gone to visit him twice (due to money issues/time off from work), but if you have a job where you can work from home, or if you're able to visit for 6 months at a time (like other couples I've seen on here), you can do that as well..

it is tough, don't get me wrong. but whats been getting me through it all is knowing that we will be together some day and it will be worth the long wait. We have to do what we have to do. That's just the way it is. So regardless of what visa you two decide to apply for, have hope, keep positive, and double/triple check all your forms so you don't get an RFE/checklist!! ;)

July 18, 2014 - Married in Fiji
Aug 21, 2014 - Sent I-130
Aug 26, 2014 - I-130 recieved
Feb 12, 2015 - I-130 Approved!
Mar 6, 2015 - NVC receieved our case (found this out on Mar 11th phone call with NVC rep)
Mar 11, 2015 - Called NVC, was given case # & invoice #
Mar 11, 2015 - Paid AOS Bill
Mar 13, 2015 - AOS Fee deducted from bank account
Mar 14, 2015 - Received DS-261/AOS Bill (in mail)
Mar 16, 2015 - Called NVC, was instructed to mail out AOS/I-864, mailed I-864EZ/AOS/Documents (2 day shipping)
Mar 18, 2015 - Packet received by NVC, AOS Fee marked as PAID on ceac.state.gov website

Mar 23, 2015 - Called NVC: 1.to verify packet received(was told to allow 60 days for review) 2. to ask if DS-261 was entered in the system (was told case is too new to revivew over the phone, but I could call back in a few days if I wish to see if we could review it over the phone)
Mar 24, 2015 - Called NVC and was able to review DS-261 over the phone; added emails, designated self as agent of choice. Should be able to pay IV Fee & fill out DS-260 in one week (31/03/15)
Mar 25, 2015 - Paid IV Fee
Mar 26, 2015 - IV Fee shown as 'Paid'
Mar 28, 2015 - Submit DS-260

April 1, 2015 - Medical Exam in Suva, called NVC for update on case: said it wasnt in the system yet, still in review. allow 45 days for case complete (hey, thats better than the 60 they said earlier!) They will only email us if they need further information, otherwise expect interview letter in the mail.

April 7, 2015 - Called NVC to follow up, no update given

April 14, 2015 - Checked ceac.state.gov website, saw that there were 3 N/A's, called NVC to verify that case was complete

April 15, 2015 - Received false checklist, called NVC to verify that was actually false checklist (re: police certificate would be sent directly to embassy and therefore was not included with support documents submitted in IV Packet)

April 16, 2015 - Called NVC to re-verify that received false checklist. Confirmed AND was told that interview date was scheduled

May 28, 2015 - Interview Scheduled at 8am, Suva Embassy (need to reschedule due to conflicting obligations)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

As stated in your other topic it will take a about 12-14 months after you file the CR-1 for her to obtain her visa. The K-3 is pretty obsolete although occasionally one makes it through. It takes just as long if not longer than the CR-1 visa to obtain. She can certainly try to come on a tourist visa but there is no guarantee she will obtain the visa or will be let in the US. She must leave prior to her I-94 expiring.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

K3 ain't processed any more ;) don't waste time in researching about it :)

u can be with ur wife.. And that's by visiting her ... ;) my wife is meeting me in Thailand for July for our anniversary.

Its horribly long tedious process. We sent our paper in Sept 2014 and was cleared in USCIS by March 1st week and we yet don't have NVC case no even ... Yet waiting for that case no so we can file financial and civil docx

my interview ain't going to happen before Sept or Oct 2015 :(:(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

July 18, 2014 - Married in Fiji
Aug 21, 2014 - Sent I-130
Aug 26, 2014 - I-130 recieved
Feb 12, 2015 - I-130 Approved!
Mar 6, 2015 - NVC receieved our case (found this out on Mar 11th phone call with NVC rep)
Mar 11, 2015 - Called NVC, was given case # & invoice #
Mar 11, 2015 - Paid AOS Bill
Mar 13, 2015 - AOS Fee deducted from bank account
Mar 14, 2015 - Received DS-261/AOS Bill (in mail)
Mar 16, 2015 - Called NVC, was instructed to mail out AOS/I-864, mailed I-864EZ/AOS/Documents (2 day shipping)
Mar 18, 2015 - Packet received by NVC, AOS Fee marked as PAID on ceac.state.gov website

Mar 23, 2015 - Called NVC: 1.to verify packet received(was told to allow 60 days for review) 2. to ask if DS-261 was entered in the system (was told case is too new to revivew over the phone, but I could call back in a few days if I wish to see if we could review it over the phone)
Mar 24, 2015 - Called NVC and was able to review DS-261 over the phone; added emails, designated self as agent of choice. Should be able to pay IV Fee & fill out DS-260 in one week (31/03/15)
Mar 25, 2015 - Paid IV Fee
Mar 26, 2015 - IV Fee shown as 'Paid'
Mar 28, 2015 - Submit DS-260

April 1, 2015 - Medical Exam in Suva, called NVC for update on case: said it wasnt in the system yet, still in review. allow 45 days for case complete (hey, thats better than the 60 they said earlier!) They will only email us if they need further information, otherwise expect interview letter in the mail.

April 7, 2015 - Called NVC to follow up, no update given

April 14, 2015 - Checked ceac.state.gov website, saw that there were 3 N/A's, called NVC to verify that case was complete

April 15, 2015 - Received false checklist, called NVC to verify that was actually false checklist (re: police certificate would be sent directly to embassy and therefore was not included with support documents submitted in IV Packet)

April 16, 2015 - Called NVC to re-verify that received false checklist. Confirmed AND was told that interview date was scheduled

May 28, 2015 - Interview Scheduled at 8am, Suva Embassy (need to reschedule due to conflicting obligations)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I have no idea about k1... As its not our process and i don't bother to read about it. Someone can shine light on ur question

whatever visa u apply for.. Its long process.. All u need to know is one day ur spouse will be with u and its worth dealing with visa. We laugh, cry and talk hours and hours on phone, skype and emails. We know all we need is patience.

I am signing off. Time to sleep. Best of luck in journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If she comes over on a K1, she stays! Once she's here and marries within the three months, she doesn't have to leave! As a matter of fact, in a way she won't be able to. If you start the AOS process after marriage and she goes back home without her status adjusted she won't be allowed admission back into the states. Will be seen as her abandoning her AOS petition. That's far off anyhow so don't think about that bit.

Sounds like you wanna go the K1 route.

Got engaged: 10 May 2014

I-129F Sent : 02 Feb 2015

I-129F NOA1 : 10 Feb 2015

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 06 Mar 2015

Hrdcpy NOA2: 12 Mar 2015

NVC Received: 22 Apr 2015

Case # Assig: 23 Apr 2015

NVC Left : 29 Apr 2015

Embassy Received:05 May 2015

Medical Date: 07 May 2015

Packet 3 Received:07 May 2015

Packet 3 Sent: 07 May 2015

Packet 4 Received:19 May 2015

Interview Date: 16 Jun 2015 (Approved)

Issued: 29 Jun 2015

At Depot: 02 Jul 2015

P.O.A: 06 Aug 2015

Wedding: 28 Aug 2015

v5Hb.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I guess part of it depends on how important the different aspects are for you and your wife.

If you are set on the wedding in her home country, then you don't really have much choice but to do the CR1. A way to shave some time off of the wait time would be to get married legally now (in the US or back home for her) and get started on the CR1 and then do the big family wedding as planned in August - it will still take some time to get her over after that, but at least you'd reduce the wait after your August ceremony by 4 months or so. The advantage of the CR1 is that your wife will get a greencard upon entry of the country, is then free to work, travel etc.

The faster route to get her into the country is probably the K1 fiance visa - as mentioned above, it's more expensive, because in addition to the visa application you also have to pay to apply for a greencard (AOS - Adjustment of Status). You couldn't get married abroad beforehand as she has to enter on K1 unmarried and she wouldn't been able to work and travel (outside the US) until she has at least received the EAD/AP card, which normally takes about 90 days. After she enters on K1 you have 90 days to get married, after you are married you then have to apply for the greencard, so no, she doesn't need to leave the country after those three months.

To get a feeling for how long things take, look at the timeline category, discuss with her, how much the different things mean to you both and then make a decision.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Any way your go, it will be long, and painful!

I have never, ever agreed with the CR-1 visa, as it is 12-16.,.,sometimes 18 months.

The K-1 is depending on service center, 3-7+ months..,.,,.and people speak of all the hassle of filing the AOS after arriving on a K-1.,.,.,.,the AOS is nothing, if your paperwork is all good.

YOU would have your EAD/AP in about 60 days, after coming on a K-1 visa, and can work then.

K-1 twice as quick, if no problems.,..,,.but, there is problems always that seem to pop up, and things that are totally un-forseen!

Goodluck and the decision is all yours, and your fiancé! I wish you a speedy process.

Gosia,

So are you saying that if I were to get married in august I would have to wait 12-14 months before I could see my wife in the US? Thats absolutely horrible, theres no type of temporary visa they can get?

**EDIT**

My fiancés sister married a guy from England and she got her visa the same day she applied for it after she was married, maybe england is different I don't know?

Unfortunately, that is the reality of our immigration system.

In theory, it would be possible to obtain a tourist visa; but for practical purpuses it would be quite difficult.

There is no temporary visa available. If the separation is an important consideration, I'd as well plan for trips down to Peru every 4-6 months.

The current processing times can change, and have change in fact many times in the past years. The processing time depends on several factors, none of which we mere mortals have any control over. In some fortunate cases, some couples have had results much faster but I wouldn't count on that.

You might want to peruse this site to get a good idea. There is a Peru specific portal that has discussions specific to Peru.

England is different. For what it matters, Peru is different and you could get residency there quite fast -not same day though- but within weeks.

Ok so if I file for a K1 visa and she gets 3 months here, and we get married, does she have to go home after her 3 months are up, or can she stay since we are married?

Once a K1 visa is granted (which as noted earlier, can be 6-7 months...but beware that there used to be a time not long ago that it was longer and CR1s have been as short as 4-5 months. Durations change in cycles, but no one can tell when the next cycle might start), then she can travel over here, and at that point (when entering the country) is when the 90 dys start counting. It's up to you when in these 90 days you marry. We did the K1 some yeas ago, and we marry within a couple of weeks and then file for AOS.

We had specifically go the K1 route, even when at the time the CR1 was shorter, and that was for a number of reason, mostly logistical in getting things ready for a move and jobs.

Once she comes over, she does not have to leave, in fact, she cannot or it would be consider abandoning the AOS petition; that is until travel documents are provided (presuming you filed for that as part of the AOS).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline