I&G

What happens if spouse arrives on tourist visa and we apply for GC in the USA?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello

Looking at the current Visa processing times for USC spouses (14 months) I am wondering if it would be better to apply for my wife's Green Card from the States (she has a tourist visa).

I've read this is frowned upon (Fraud), but what are the consequences?

I have not seen much about that. In fact, I have heard that people end up getting their green cards via this method, but it ends up being more costly and you have to do extra stuff like 'Adjustment of Status'. Applying for work permission etc.

In our situation, it seems like it would allow us to establish ourselves in the US quicker, but I am not clear about what the dangers involved are. I'd prefer not to do it this way, but I was told 8 months, not 14. As usual maybe I am misunderstanding something.

It would be great if someone who has gone this route (or is in a position to provide some insight) could share their experiences/advice. (And please don't just answer by saying its fraud, what are the consequences?)

Many thanks

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I`ts Fraud!! :rofl:

Hello

Looking at the current Visa processing times for USC spouses (14 months) I am wondering if it would be better to apply for my wife's Green Card from the States (she has a tourist visa).

I have not seen much about that. In fact, I have heard that people end up getting their green cards via this method, but it ends up being more costly and you have to do extra stuff like 'Adjustment of Status'. Applying for work permission etc.

In our situation, it seems like it would allow us to establish ourselves in the US quicker, but I am not clear about what the dangers involved are. I'd prefer not to do it this way, but I was told 8 months, not 14. As usual maybe I am misunderstanding something.

It would be great if someone who has gone this route (or is in a position to provide some insight) could share their experiences/advice. (And please don't just answer by saying its fraud, what are the consequences?)

Many thanks

May 08th 2010: Met in Rosarito, Baja California Mèxico :wub:

September 22nd 2012: :star: Got Married :luv:

October 04th 2014: I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent :rolleyes:

October 07th 2014: Package Received :goofy:

October 10th 2014: Electronic NOA for all 4 of my forms B-)

October 17th 2014: Electronic NOA for Biometrics :dance:

October 27th 2014: RFE for I-485 form :bonk: :cry:

November 03rd 2014: Biometrics Appointment. :goofy:

November 7th 2014: RFE Documents Sent :thumbs:

November 11th 2014: RFE Package Received :star:

December 17th 2014: Electronic NOA I-131 approved :dancing: & Electronic NOA I-765 Card Was Order To Be Produced.

December 22nd 2014: Case Update, my Employment Authorization Card is on the mail and they put the tracking number :rolleyes:

December 24th 2014: I Have my Employment Authorization Card Combo ( With Advance Parole) on my hands!!! :dance: I`m going to get my butt out of this house and work!! :dance: (Happy Dance) :dance:

December 29th 2014: Applied for my change of status on my Social Security Number, From Not Valid for Work to Valid for Work only with DHS Authorization.

January 12th, 2015: I received my SSC!!!! :goofy:

:goofy: :goofy:

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If she's asked at POE for purpose of visit, be honest and say to adjust status and get a green card, surely you'll know the consequences. ?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I sent you a message.

Hello

May 08th 2010: Met in Rosarito, Baja California Mèxico :wub:

September 22nd 2012: :star: Got Married :luv:

October 04th 2014: I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent :rolleyes:

October 07th 2014: Package Received :goofy:

October 10th 2014: Electronic NOA for all 4 of my forms B-)

October 17th 2014: Electronic NOA for Biometrics :dance:

October 27th 2014: RFE for I-485 form :bonk: :cry:

November 03rd 2014: Biometrics Appointment. :goofy:

November 7th 2014: RFE Documents Sent :thumbs:

November 11th 2014: RFE Package Received :star:

December 17th 2014: Electronic NOA I-131 approved :dancing: & Electronic NOA I-765 Card Was Order To Be Produced.

December 22nd 2014: Case Update, my Employment Authorization Card is on the mail and they put the tracking number :rolleyes:

December 24th 2014: I Have my Employment Authorization Card Combo ( With Advance Parole) on my hands!!! :dance: I`m going to get my butt out of this house and work!! :dance: (Happy Dance) :dance:

December 29th 2014: Applied for my change of status on my Social Security Number, From Not Valid for Work to Valid for Work only with DHS Authorization.

January 12th, 2015: I received my SSC!!!! :goofy:

:goofy: :goofy:

she can get a 10 year ban to the united states. There are people that get in the states get married and apply for there adjustment of status. Most come in on a tourist visa without the intent to get married. If this is the case a lot get approved and get there green card. But if the are trying to get into the us with the intent to stay its called fraud and you will get a 10 year ban.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

You don't get to circumvent the law simply because the kind of visa you need is currently taking longer to process than you were "told."

As others have mentioned (and as you already know), it is fraud and your spouse can face lengthy bans from the country if she is caught. There are multiple steps along the way where she could be found out, including entry, AOS interview, and all the way up to (and after) citizenship.

If she is asked about her marriage to you by CBP and she is honest, she might not even be allowed into the country unless she can demonstrate very strong ties to her home country.

If caught, either now or later, it is misrepresentation and leads to a lifetime ban.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Caught later? What do you mean by that?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Okay lets play this game: Let's say she gets through at customs by lying, and it's discovered at the visa interview or a home visit that she lied to the CBP. You don't really think they'd let that slide? When they have proof or a confession? I've read about citizenship being revoked for asylum immigrants. They were deported and banned for life. While the chances may be slim to almost non-existent, it still exists.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Have you never read about hard interviews for AOS where they basically all but actually accuse the person of intending to immigrate on VJ? I have. And about home interviews too. Mentioning the consequences to an illegal action IS relevant.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread locked for review. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You don't get to circumvent the law simply because the kind of visa you need is currently taking longer to process than you were "told."

As others have mentioned (and as you already know), it is fraud and your spouse can face lengthy bans from the country if she is caught. There are multiple steps along the way where she could be found out, including entry, AOS interview, and all the way up to (and after) citizenship.

If she is asked about her marriage to you by CBP and she is honest, she might not even be allowed into the country unless she can demonstrate very strong ties to her home country.

The above post clarifies and summarizes the situation in excellent fashion.

This thread will remain locked, because the query (which was essentially fishing for ways around the legal process) has been answered.

Administrative action has been taken against one participant for treading on this tenet in the VisaJourney Terms of Service:

"Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method."

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.