atlfan

Fiance from the Philippines Concerns

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I need some advice. I am ready to bring my fiance from the Philippines here to Atlanta, Georgia.

However, here is the issue. Due to my mother's fragile health, my fiance encouraged me not to come to her country so I can look out for my mother. Despite that she wants me to go to her country to meet her family and get married there, she wants to make the sacrifice to come here.

I know the K-1 requires me to go there to meet her in person but it's not going to happen since I promised God for me not to go.

Here are some options that I have in mind.

My aunt got married at the American Embassy in Ecuador then her husband filed for the marriage licence while he was in New Jersey. Then they got married at the church when she came to the U.S. is this possible for me?

Those are two options that I listed above or does anyone has a better alternative for us. Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
I need some advice. I am ready to bring my fiance from the Philippines here to Atlanta, Georgia.
However, here is the issue. Due to my mother's fragile health, my fiance encouraged me not to come to her country so I can look out for my mother. Despite that she wants me to go to her country to meet her family and get married there, she wants to make the sacrifice to come here.
I know the K-1 requires me to go there to meet her in person but it's not going to happen since I promised God for me not to go.
Here are some options that I have in mind.
My aunt got married at the American Embassy in Ecuador then her husband filed for the marriage licence while he was in New Jersey. Then they got married at the church when she came to the U.S. is this possible for me?
Those are two options that I listed above or does anyone has a better alternative for us. Thanks.

Hello, that's what I would do (Please keep in mind it's what I would do, doesn't mean it's the best option).

I would try and having your fiancée going to the States (As a visitor and not overstaying) to meet you in person and then you could apply for the K1 Fiancé Visa. The K1 is pretty fast for Phillipinos (They get expedited due to the hurricane damages over there). And I am so sorry for your mom, I hope she gets better soon.

About your aunt situation I don't have too much to add about it but I am sure they went thru the normal Adjustment of Status Process and I heard here that the processes for already married people has taken a little bit more time than the ones for not yet married.

Good luck!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You need to meet at least once in person. Doesn't matter where. You can get married anywhere and will need to file for an IR1/CR1 instead of a K1. She can file for a visitor visa (B1/B2) and she can visit you in the US for you to meet the requirement of meeting at least once in person.

Hi, thanks for your response and for the encouragement for my mom.. Here is what my mom did. She came to the U.S. and got married using her travel visa then she started with the paper work.

So is there a chance that she came the U.S., get married then we can start doing the K1?

Edited by atlfan

Hi emmandenn,

Could you explain the process for the IR1/CR1 because since i'm the petitioner, they are asking for a marriage certificate. I am not married yet, neither is she. Also, since this my first year as a small business owner, I did not make enough to meet the income portion, would I be eligible for a co-sponsor?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You need to research more about what each visa means and entails. A K-1 visa is for an unmarried, engaged couple. You must have met face-to-face at least once in the 2 years prior to filing the I-129F petition. The foreign fiance(e) will enter the US via the K-1 visa and then you must marry in the US within 90 days of entry. After marriage, you will file for adjustment of status.

If you marry first, then you need to submit an I-130 petition to get started on obtaining a spousal visa (CR-1).

K-1 visa guide > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

CR-1 visa guide > http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Compare visas > http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

~ Moved from K-1 Process to What Visa Do I Need - OP still deciding on immigration path~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, thanks for your response and for the encouragement for my mom.. Here is what my mom did. She came to the U.S. and got married using her travel visa then she started with the paper work.

So is there a chance that she came the U.S., get married then we can start doing the K1?

Please don't get married on a tourist visa, it is FRAUD since you can not go somewhere saying you want to visit when you actually intend to become a resident. It is not the best choice. Maybe it can work for some but you can have a hard time due to it.

KayCee said "If you marry first, then you need to submit an I-130 petition to get started on obtaining a spousal visa (CR-1)"

So that means that I can file for marriage at city hall first then I can do the I-130 petition?

How would that work since we are in separate countries?

Does she has to file for marriage at her city hall in her country?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please don't get married on a tourist visa, it is FRAUD since you can not go somewhere saying you want to visit when you actually intend to become a resident. It is not the best choice. Maybe it can work for some but you can have a hard time due to it.

Waiting, waiting, waiting...for someone to chime in on this.

Pink. Please go back to the initial post and read above.

How long both of you have been dating? Never met in person and decided to get married while she is in the US using a tourist visa, that thing I can't fathom of. Does she already have a tourist visa?. Remember planning get married in the US while in a tourist visa before step the foot in and adjust of status afterwards is consider as a fraud.

K-1 visa for USC fiancé(e) to get married in the US and required have met in person at least once within 2 years. My other question, is there no one else look up to your ill mother while you are visiting her in the Philippines? You don't need stay months in her country and I believe you have other relatives can take care of her while you are gone.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Hi Girl, I guess the law has changed since my mom got married in 1980 but I can have her come her in the US for Christmas and go back to her country since she needs to go back to work.

Also, she is going to finish school as a teacher in April.

During that time. I will file the K1 in Jan that will give me plenty of time to get ready since I have a new job at a school.

The problem is, im the only child plus I don't have any relatives nearby.

We've been dating for almost 2 years

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Coming to America with a tourist visa KNOWING you are going to get married is fraud.

It's very hard for lots of countries to even get a tourist visa due to people doing things like that....

First its not sure they will give her a tourist visa ( or she has it already I dont know) specially if she says in the interview she wants it to see her fiancé??? Unless she lies in the interview too..... That would be very wrong.

I would personally suggest if someone can take care of your mom for a few days. You go to the Philippines, see her, meet the family... Take pictures.... See if you two really feel the same way for each other in person.... And then you come back to the states and do the K-1 it's very fast for Philippino people for what I see in the forum.... 3,4,5 months

If you get married before asking for K-1 then you have to ask for a spouse visa to bring her here and this one takes longer. But you can do it too.

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

If she comes you two get married and she leaves there is actually no fraud.

Fraud is coming with the intention of adjusting status and staying.

If she comes for Christmas and then she goes back to the Philippines, you can totally file for K-1 and by the time she finishes school she may have her visa to come here.

Even I would still want to go there and check myself how she is and her family is.... But that's my personal opinion.

Edited by IRIScv

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.