Karee

Supreme Court allows Texas voter ID law for now

483 posts in this topic

I'd be willing to bet that any person who cared enough to vote would ensure they had the proper ID to be able to

I would think so too. Voter turnout in many elections is poor, so the dedicated voters are probably the one's who are voting. Occasionally there is a higher interest election and more of those with apathy get off their lazy asses and vote.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I would think so too. Voter turnout in many elections is poor, so the dedicated voters are probably the one's who are voting. Occasionally there is a higher interest election and more of those with apathy get off their lazy asses and vote.

Eggzachary my point. I have all the required IDs I need now as a law-abiding citizen. If they required me to get one more to vote, or to register one of my current IDs so it could be used to validate me as a voter, I'd gladly do it.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am totally against having to provide ID. I have absolutely nothing to hide. It is a fundamental right to be able to move around without having to be prove who you are to government authorities.

I agree with that, that's why people oppose implementing national ID cards. You shouldn't have to prove who you are in a public setting.

It amazes me that Americans who talk about the need for small and unobtrusive government have little problem with stuff like this that's far more damaging to personal liberty.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It is prejudice to require voters to produce IDs to vote because it restricts the voter pool to voters who are actually alive and those legally allowed to vote! :rolleyes:

Edited by Robby999

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Timeline

It is prejudice to require voters to produce IDs to vote because it restricts the voter pool to voters who are actually alive and those legally allowed to vote!

Prove it.

A comprehensive investigation of voter impersonation finds 31 credible incidents out of one billion ballots cast

that reason is a joke at best. but, why would it only effect the democrats?

Most people without an id are poor. Most poor people vote democrat.

I'm not saying that this is a major problem or that it is a legitimate reason not to have a voter id law. What I am saying is that spending millions of dollars on implementing voter id laws simply for the reason of preventing voter fraud is a waste of money. I am in favor of a national id system, but not for preventing something like voter fraud that has been proven really isn't a legitimate problem. If a national id system was geared more towards preventing the hiring of illegal immigrants, I think it would garner much more support.

Edited by Teddy B

It seems that the amount of voter fraud is very small. So small that it is pretty much irrelevant.

It also seems that the amount of people who are unable to get an ID is very small. So small that it is pretty much irrelevant.

Voter ID or no voter ID, won't make a difference. So why does it matter if a state wants to spend their money on this made up issue? Let them spend their money.

Timeline

It seems that the amount of voter fraud is very small. So small that it is pretty much irrelevant.

It also seems that the amount of people who are unable to get an ID is very small. So small that it is pretty much irrelevant.

Voter ID or no voter ID, won't make a difference. So why does it matter if a state wants to spend their money on this made up issue? Let them spend their money.

Perhaps because the voting public have a right to expect reasonable value from their tax dollars?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Exactly.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Perhaps because the voting public have a right to expect reasonable value from their tax dollars?

I wasn't able to find any polls on the matter, but I'd suspect the vast majority of people in Texas favor this law. Also, I don't see this law costing a large sum of money. How long does it take for a poll worker to check someone's ID when they go to vote and pick up their ballot? Maybe 10 seconds.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Congress has a 15% approval rating. 90% of them will get re-elected.

It's beyond me why anyone should care about the small percent of people who might engage in voter fraud when the larger percent are too stupid to vote in the first place.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

I wasn't able to find any polls on the matter, but I'd suspect the vast majority of people in Texas favor this law. Also, I don't see this law costing a large sum of money. How long does it take for a poll worker to check someone's ID when they go to vote and pick up their ballot? Maybe 10 seconds.

I think the biggest cost will be in implementing the legislation. Which id will be acceptable and then making sure everyone has one. The taxpayers will more than likely need to pick up the tab for low income folks.

If it's a waste of taxpayer money, I don't want them spending it.

Timeline

Congress has a 15% approval rating. 90% of them will get re-elected.

It's beyond me why anyone should care about the small percent of people who might engage in voter fraud when the larger percent are too stupid to vote in the first place.

Exactly. I also suspect that the people who don't vote are also the most bigoted and most likely to blame others for their problems.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Prove what? That dead people are not legally or physically able to show an ID and vote, or prove that an illegal alien is allowed to vote in Federal elections. My post was leaning towards sarcasm for those with a sense of humor ( humour )!

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Timeline

Prove what? That dead people are not legally or physically able to show an ID and vote, or prove that an illegal alien is allowed to vote in Federal elections. My post was leaning towards sarcasm for those with a sense of humor ( humour )!

Prove that a solution is needed for a non-existent problem. Either the problem exists and necessitates the solution, or it does not and nothing needs to be done.

And sarcasm eh? What is it they say about that - the lowest form of humour? Doesn't come across too well in print. At least, this was not a great example of it.