Karee

Supreme Court allows Texas voter ID law for now

483 posts in this topic

I've never heard anything that made me think voter fraud was a real problem in this country. I think republican's just want to move forward with IDs to decrease the legitimate votes for the democratic candidates.

I think the Republicans use the fallacy of voter fraud to keep their base in line. If Republican voters think the reason they are losing elections is because of fraud, then they can point to a reason other than themselves and their base is likely to stick around for a while and continue to vote Republican. On the other hand if Republican voters feel that their party has become out of touch with the issues, has fallen out of favor and is no longer viable, (which it has on all 3 levels) the party will most likely dissolve and/or change into something else. It's always easier to put the blame for failure anywhere but on yourself.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I still don't see any valid argument against requiring an ID to vote. Conversely, there's not much of an argument requiring an ID TO vote. If Texas wants to spend a few bucks asking people for an ID before they vote, and the people of Texas are in favor of it, who cares? What's the big deal?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

I think a national ID would be fine. We pretty much have de-facto ID now with social security cards. Why not just put a photo on there with a few endorsements? Registered to vote, Authorized to work, citizen or non-citizen etc.

Too simple and logical. Neither party would ever agree to it.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I think the Republicans use the fallacy of voter fraud to keep their base in line. If Republican voters think the reason they are losing elections is because of fraud, then they can point to a reason other than themselves and their base is likely to stick around for a while and continue to vote Republican. On the other hand if Republican voters feel that their party has become out of touch with the issues, has fallen out of favor and is no longer viable, (which it has on all 3 levels) the party will most likely dissolve and/or change into something else. It's always easier to put the blame for failure anywhere but on yourself.

This is why hot button issues such as immigration reform and gay marriage are such a thorn in their sides. The reason they keep having problems is because the mentality for the leaders of the fringe right are let's cater to the majority. And it's this mindset that will continue to cost them.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I still don't see any valid argument against requiring an ID to vote. Conversely, there's not much of an argument requiring an ID TO vote. If Texas wants to spend a few bucks asking people for an ID before they vote, and the people of Texas are in favor of it, who cares? What's the big deal?

It's really a moot issue either way.

I've never heard anything that made me think voter fraud was a real problem in this country. I think republican's just want to move forward with IDs to decrease the legitimate votes for the democratic candidates.

cause I am sure at least .001 % of less does not have an ID or can't get one

So you think the democrats have some illegitimate votes now? You're the first democrat I've seen admit to that.

So you think the democrats have some illegitimate votes now? You're the first democrat I've seen admit to that.

He didn't, I think you misread what he said.

I do agree showing ID's may cut down on the Democratic vote on the legitimate democratic vote, Felons, dead folks, illegals

Why do you think it would hurt Dems. Why would it not hurt pubs also.

Do you really believe not having an ID is going to stop anyone legitimate person from voting. Maybe a handful in each state .

I do agree showing ID's may cut down on the Democratic vote on the legitimate democratic vote, Felons, dead folks, illegals

Why do you think it would hurt Dems. Why would it not hurt pubs also.

Do you really believe not having an ID is going to stop anyone legitimate person from voting. Maybe a handful in each state .

Dead folks, felons and illegals would not be legitimate voters.

The last two lines of your post, I'm not sure why you directed them at me.

How would having a requirement to show an ID to vote "decrease the legitimate votes for the democratic candidates"?

How would having a requirement to show an ID to vote "decrease the legitimate votes for the democratic candidates"?

By not allowing a legitimate voter to vote because they do not have an id. This scenario will happen many more times than any voter fraud ever has.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Timeline

how exactly would requiring a voter to show ID decrease the legitimate votes for the democratic candidates?

7yqZWFL.jpg

By not allowing a legitimate voter to vote because they do not have an id. This scenario will happen many more times than any voter fraud ever has.

I'd be willing to bet that any person who cared enough to vote would ensure they had the proper ID to be able to do so.

that reason is a joke at best. but, why would it only effect the democrats?

Because republicans don't use as many illegal votes per election? IDK, just throwing ideas out there...