Karee

Supreme Court allows Texas voter ID law for now

483 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Then you and I disagree. I believe that the right of citizens to vote should be protected from the possibility of outside interference and that showing proof of eligibility to cast a vote is essential to protecting that right.

The only societies I know where government requires citizens provide ID to vote, the voting is interfered with in far more insidious fashions than the voter fraud that is apparently taking place in the US. I know which I would choose, that's not allowing government officials the right to turn voters away because of ID issues.

Incidentally, do you think this should be introduced in the UK as well?

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

The only societies I know where government requires citizens provide ID to vote, the voting is interfered with in far more insidious fashions than the voter fraud that is apparently taking place in the US. I know which I would choose, that's not allowing government officials the right to turn voters away because of ID issues.

As long as the onus to ensure citizens are given the opportunity to obtain ID prior to an election falls on the local authorities (preferably the State, as that is the level these measures are coming from) and that a citizen who has not been provided that opportunity by the authority to obtain a relevant form of ID is not barred from voting, I see no downside. The state enacting this legislation needs to pay for it and ensure it is implemented without disadvantage and the citizens get to vote.

Yes. :thumbs:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The only societies I know where government requires citizens provide ID to vote, the voting is interfered with in far more insidious fashions than the voter fraud that is apparently taking place in the US.

Most countries require citizens to have an ID period. Voting or not. If that was the case in the U.S., it would be a non-issue.

Here's a list of some countries where "the voting is interfered with in far more insidious fashions"

Canada

Germany

Netherlands

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_laws

Those are some real oppressive anti-democratic regimes. :no:

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Well, you had better put on your big boy britches because it looks like it is headed your way just in time for the 2019 elections!

The elections watchdog said it planned to introduce the change in time for the 2019 local government and European Parliament elections.

Although it has yet to confirm full details of the plan, it said it would be based on the Northern Ireland model, where voters already need photo ID.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-25641801

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

I am totally against having to provide ID. I have absolutely nothing to hide. It is a fundamental right to be able to move around without having to be prove who you are to government authorities.

Maybe on your planet. Here on earth, particularly in the US, ID is required all the time. In the Philippines, kids get a postal ID around 18 or 19 and use it in lieu of a driver's license like we do.

An interesting read on voter fraud from last year. Seems the concept of voter ID won't help prevent fraud all that much.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/06/a-comprehensive-investigation-of-voter-impersonation-finds-31-credible-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/

I must add, however, that I don't see how it will cost all that much extra to implement an ID check. Movie theaters, airlines, banks, police officers... they all check IDs now without too much added hassle.

Edited by DavenRoxy

Timeline

An interesting read on voter fraud from last year. Seems the concept of voter ID won't help prevent fraud all that much.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/08/06/a-comprehensive-investigation-of-voter-impersonation-finds-31-credible-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/

I must add, however, that I don't see how it will cost all that much extra to implement an ID check. Movie theaters, airlines, banks, police officers... they all check IDs now without too much added hassle.

And that's been the argument all along against it. If there's minimal voter fraud, why institute voter ID laws?

My argument is, what's the big deal? Should they wait until it becomes an issue to take steps to prevent it? It takes like 5 seconds for them to check someone's ID.

And that's been the argument all along against it. If there's minimal voter fraud, why institute voter ID laws?

My argument is, what's the big deal? Should they wait until it becomes an issue to take steps to prevent it? It takes like 5 seconds for them to check someone's ID.

I think if they drop the whole voter fraud nonsense and just go with a national id system, they would have much better luck getting this thing through. I think a national id sysytem would be helpful in fighting illegal immigration. That's assuming anyone actually enforced our immigration laws to begin with.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never heard anything that made me think voter fraud was a real problem in this country. I think republican's just want to move forward with IDs to decrease the legitimate votes for the democratic candidates.

Timeline

I think if they drop the whole voter fraud nonsense and just go with a national id system, they would have much better luck getting this thing through. I think a national id sysytem would be helpful in fighting illegal immigration. That's assuming anyone actually enforced our immigration laws to begin with.

I think a national ID would be fine. We pretty much have de-facto ID now with social security cards. Why not just put a photo on there with a few endorsements? Registered to vote, Authorized to work, citizen or non-citizen etc.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Passports. They should create internal passports, just like they do in Russia.

Dontcha know? Putin is the man to follow!!!

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

I've never heard anything that made me think voter fraud was a real problem in this country. I think republican's just want to move forward with IDs to decrease the legitimate votes for the democratic candidates.

Just because it's not a prevalent issue now, doesn't mean it couldn't be one down the road. As others here have pointed out, you need an ID for just about everything in the U.S.